Liam Kelly

Not the best nor exciting signing, however as back up and meeting quotas then it makes sense. Especially if he’s OOC and we can sell McCrorie for a fee.

On Open Goal yesterday the Celtic lot were saying that Kelly should join them and Haliday was staying very quiet like he knew something.

He's a dependable back up, who's good with his feet. Homegrown and a Rangers fan, who I'm sure would be good in the changing room.

It's not exciting but it makes sense.

He's a decent SPl goalie for sure.

I'd imagine he would be filling McCrorie's place in teh squad rather than Butland's.

Random if McCrorie goes because sitting on the bench isn't the best for his development and Kelly comes in at still quite a young age and waves bye bye to his career.

As a backup for McCrorie leaving? Fine.

Starter? Worrying.
A backup should still be a good keeper. We had to play a European final with our backup keeper in 2008 and luckily he was a very good keeper.

Kelly isn’t good enough as a number 2 and it would mean any injury to the first choice could derail a season.

His form has been pretty poor for a while, Kelly has not had a good season this season.

I think people aren't fussed because he won't be seen as first choice but I don't think Kelly has shown enough lately even to be our back-up. Bare in mind that your back-up keeper can easily become your number 1 for a period of several months with just a slightest bit of bad luck in terms of injuries.

And then think about the kind of luck Rangers tend to have with injuries...

I would like to see Jay Hogarth given an opportunity.
I think he and Kieran Wright might compete for the third spot, and we should sell Robbie.

I don't think Bundinacks is gonna be good enough, and even younger Mason Munn is probably our best goalie propsect I've seen since...Liam Kelly.

If he is signed as JB replacement then it's a sure sign that PC won't be backed in the transfer market. Bit like it was looking obvious that GVB wasn't going to be backed when we resigned McGregor in 2022.

Hopefully he's just a back up option because McCrorie wants to leave.

Lol, famous last words but how many games have Mcglaughlin and McCrorie had between them in recent years? Kelly is a replacement for one of them or both. No probs with that.

He’s really not a good goalie. Consistently makes howlers and the second worst keeper in the league for every measurable stat.
019iz05.png

You're not wrong. Source.

And I'm not at all surprised just going by the eye-test of seeing him play on Sportscene each week. He has been significantly worse for Motherwell this season than in his previous two with them.

Depressing news this if it turns out to be accurate.

019iz05.png

And I'm not at all surprised just going by the eye-test of seeing him play on Sportscene each week. He has been significantly worse for Motherwell this season than in his previous two with them.

Not sure I’m willing to trust stats that have Roos at Aberdeen out on top.

Although I agree Kelly has had a poor season and surely not a chance he’d be first choice if someone comes in for Butland.

He’s decent with the ball at his feet and has good distribution but concedes a lot of poor goals

Haven't seen any sources saying we've actually signed him.

But I suppose it's one for the transfer thread really.

019iz05.png

If you go below that chart there is a player goalkeeping part that if you click it opens the chart for each individual keeper in the league. Kelly is 2nd bottom for everything there too.

Not sure I’m willing to trust stats that have Roos at Aberdeen out on top.

Although I agree Kelly has had a poor season and surely not a chance he’d be first choice if someone comes in for Butland.

He’s decent with the ball at his feet and has good distribution but concedes a lot of poor goals
That’s club goalkeeping. The chart for individual keepers has Will Dennis top for save percentage and Roos is second.

The charts are very accurate. McGregor was statistically one of the worst in the league in his final season and it showed.

Always remember he took pelters from fans with that Pedro in the bush incident
He has been getting pelters from Motherwell fans wanting him dropped for the past 2 seasons. Probably why he is happy to come and sit on the bench out of the limelight.

Lol, famous last words but how many games have Mcglaughlin and McCrorie had between them in recent years? Kelly is a replacement for one of them or both. No probs with that.
I really don't think we can afford to be so flippant.

Last season Jack Butland missed 16 games for Palace after breaking one of his fingers. And he was out for more than a year with a dislocated ankle while playing for Stoke.

Whether Butland is here next season or not, our number 1 keeper being out for a sustained period of time is not some implausible scenario. We absolutely do need a quality back-up.

I really don't think we can afford to be so flippant.

Last season Jack Butland missed 16 games for Palace after breaking one of his fingers. And he was out for more than a year with a dislocated ankle while playing for Stoke.

Your number 1 keeper being out for a sustained period of time is not some implausible scenario. We absolutely do need a quality back-up.
Hard getting quality back up knowing they are never going to replace super Jack

But what does it say about keepers in the academy?

Isn’t that the pathway stunted. Granted if aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough or may go on loan but keeper pathways can be severely blocked given the uniqueness of the position

Back