Liam Kelly

Our first qualifier for the Champions League will take place from the 6th - 13th August and if we win it the play-off round takes place from 20th - 28th August.

Many are expecting we could sell Butland this summer and if we do it's very plausible those qualifiers could come around before we have had a chance to find Super Jack's replacement.

I doubt the folk in this thread who are relaxed about signing Kelly because "he'll only be back-up" will be so laid back if we end up going into one of our most important games of the season with this guy between the sticks.

You can laugh at that as a crazy hypothetical but it really isn't that implausible if we do bring Kelly in.

edit: corrected dates

Last edited:
I’ve already said he won’t be replacing Butland still doesn’t make him an average at best Scottish Premiership keeper.
He’ll never play so it matters not a jott.
A number 3 on about a fiver a week with no transfer fee.

It’s really that simple

We’ll see him in a rangers jersey once. In the squad picture in July

An international goalie on a free? Sounds like prime player trading model to me, sell him after a year to the Championship for a healthy 7 figure sum.

Although ironically folk shouting for exactly this kind of transfer are also adamant that he's not good enough.

That's our version of a PTM for you though, buying medicority hoping they hit a bit of form and that someone will buy them, then wondering why we're second best all the time.

Our first qualifier for the Champions League will take place from the 8th - 15th August 2023 and if we win it the play-off round takes place from 22nd - 30th August 2023.

Many are expecting we could sell Butland this summer and if we do it's very plausible those qualifiers could come around before we have had a chance to find Super Jack's replacement.

I doubt the folk in this thread who are relaxed about signing Kelly because "he'll only be back-up" will be so laid back if we end up going into one of our most important games of the season with this guy between the sticks.

You can laugh at that as a crazy hypothetical but it really isn't that implausible if we do bring Kelly in.
didnt realise we were going to be taken over by someone involved with back to the future!

He’ll never play so it matters not a jott.
A number 3 on about a fiver a week with no transfer fee.

It’s really that simple

We’ll see him in a rangers jersey once. In the squad picture in July
Can you name me the last reserve keeper who "never played"?

Our current back-up Jon McLaughlin has made 46 apperances for Rangers. We've ended up relying on him for sustained spells because of injuries and because of the decline in form of our main keeper. He's played in the Champions League, Europa League, in qualifiers and in five games vs the scum.

Robby McCrorie has also ended up playing in European qualifiers and a couple of one old firm games.

The last reserve keeper I can remember before those two is Steve Simonsen who ended up playing more games than our first choice Cammy Bell in the first Championship season.

It's absolute bollocks to pretend reserve keepers "never play."

Real Madrid fans are currently debating whether Courtois should start the Champions League final because he's been out for basically the entire season.

these " Home grown/trained " is a pile o dung unless theyre in first 11 its complete shite as theyve no chance of playing , if Butland was to be sold i'd rather give McCrorie a season to see how he got on

This would be really poor if true. I'd rather give an academy player minutes that Kelly. From what I've seen I wouldn't have him ahead of McCrorie. Backups still need to be good enough to play. He is not.

For all those saying what can go wrong he's a back up - I would suggest a character in the changing room can have a huge impact both directions.

I don't know his character but he's not done anything to me to stand out bar complaining the team bus wasn't leaving in Luxembourg on twitter and seems to always be complaining to his defenders (even at the weekend when he should have just come and claimed the long ball v St Johnstone).

For me too on agility he doesn't make any stand out saves. If we need a Scottish keeper for quota etc etc - then go to Zander Clark.

I wouldn't read too much into these stats. Stat wise it says Roos is way at the the top and Hart had better stats than Butland. A lot of nonsense

Our current back-up Jon McLaughlin has made 46 apperances for Rangers. We've ended up relying on him for sustained spells because of injuries and because of the decline in form of our main keeper. He's played in the Champions League, Europa League, in qualifiers and in five games vs the scum.

Robby McCrorie has also ended up playing in European qualifiers and a couple of one old firm games.

The last reserve keeper I can remember before those two is Steve Simonsen who ended up playing more games than our first choice Cammy Bell in the first Championship season.

Real Madrid fans are currently debating whether Courtois should start the Champions League final because he's been out for basically the entire season.
Kelly as a number 3 will not play unless both above him are injured

How many times did McLaughlin or Carson (Man City) play this season??

I rest my case

Random if McCrorie goes because sitting on the bench isn't the best for his development and Kelly comes in at still quite a young age and waves bye bye to his career.
No Bear would ever consider signing on at Ibrox as waving bye bye to a career!

Every club needs a number 2 (and number 3 for that matter!). Kelly left to go be number 1 somewhere, and fair play to him.

But if he wants to do his bit for Rangers and wait in the shadows for when we need him, then we will welcome him back with open arms.

Some on here seem like they won't be happy unless we are signing peak Buffon to act as our number 2!

It's more the thought that a guy playing regular first team football is coming to sit on the bench. I hope I'm wrong but could mean butland is off
He’ll be doubling is wages to a tenner a week to replace McLaughlin.

We will have 3 new goalkeepers before the season starts, him being bottom of the pecking order

Kelly’s better than McCrorie who’s an accident waiting to happen and hardly played a first team game in his mid 20s

Kelly’s decent enough for a number 2 and home grown with no fee.

Andy Firth... Your welcome!

We will have 3 new goalkeepers before the season starts, him being bottom of the pecking order
I just find it bizarre that someone who is playing regularly and is getting international calls would be happy to go and be 2nd or 3rd choice

He's on a good few K a week at Motherwell

There must be a financial incentive to join us , whether it's bonus up front or better wages

I just find it bizarre that someone who is playing regularly and is getting international calls would be happy to go and be 2nd or 3rd choice
There are many many footballers where the priority isn’t playing regularly, or at all

Kelly as a number 3 will not play unless both above him are injured

How many times did McLaughlin or Carson (Man City) play this season??

I rest my case
I named multiple reserve keepers who have recently ended up having a big part to play across multiple seasons at Rangers.

But because you've named two reserve keepers who didn't play this season, that guarantees that any reserve keeper we sign will "never play"?

Feel free to "rest your case" there. How could I ever hope to debate against an intellectual giant like yourself.

Kelly conceded the most goals in the Scottish Premiership this season letting in 59 goals.

Shamal George let in the 2nd most with 56.

Kelly had the 2nd worst save percentage at 63.4%, Shamal George had the worst at 62.9%.

Kelly’s better than McCrorie who’s an accident waiting to happen and hardly played a first team game in his mid 20s

Kelly’s decent enough for a number 2 and home grown with no fee.
Neither are good enough for Rangers whether it's a number 1 number 1, number 2 number 1 or number 3 number 1.

Back