Living and playing next to the biggest and best league in the world

The People

Sadly it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of youngsters support an English team over us ( and Them )
I’ve friends whose kids support Man U or Liverpool etc :oops:

I’m glad to say my four are all staunch bears

Sadly it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of youngsters support an English team over us ( and Them )

Things go in cycles. I was at Uni in Glasgow in the 80s as an 18 yr old when the Souness revolution kicked off.

Great fukin times and we were the biggest club in Britain right then.

That was probably the time for Rangers to push for a British league, but Minty was loving the limelight, and we missed the boat.

It's not ideal right now, as we're lumbered with these fukin pedo enabling, terrorist sympathizing parasites, as our only competition, but as an optimist, I believe we'll survive and thrive, due to our Scottish and global fan base, and the passion we have.

There's plenty wealthy bears out here that will ensure we never fade away.

And congrats on the 4 wee bears. They are our future, you must be proud :))

Don’t see a problem with crowds at Ibrox so Rangers must have an attractive product. A queue for season tickets. Also we have huge European nights unlike many EPL clubs so I’d say take any kid to that and they’ll be hooked on us. For sure the quality of player is superior in England but the EPL has many boring fixtures and is overrated imo, Top 6 or so aside. With my kids it’s always been Rangers first with an English team second just to be interested in their league a bit. I think that’s been the case with kids for many years anyway.

No wonder when next season most if not all the kids in the family section will miss out on the biggest game in Scotland just so we can lay out the red carpet for them scumbags!!!

Most kids over here support Rangers and an English team. However as a supporters club we strive to try and get as many kids over to experience Ibrox. The last few seasons a good few kids have been travelling across and it’s encouraging to see.

Unfortunately though we are losing our clubs tickets we had together in the BF and BR so will he harder to get younger kids across as they need to sit with an adult which may not be possible

Me and me pals always had an English side too, but we all supported a Scottish side too.

Would need to see a big change in our society for the young weans to shun Rangers and Celtic for the bright lights of the EPL.

Some of the games at Ibrox v lower league teams is a hard watch at times. Time wasting,feigning injury,flying in to tackles recklessly with the refs consent, throw ins taken 10 yards or more from where the ball went out, Subdued celebration of a goal in case VAR spotted an incident 10 mins previously, penalties for players having arms,goalkeepers having a fag and a bovril before taking a by kick.

Apart from all that it’s an exciting and explosive product that always draws me back :)) :)) :))

Must be hard for a parent now.

When I was young I only went to a couple of games per year and was lucky if I seen a couple more on TV each year.

Nowadays every game is streaming live somewhere and it's just so much more accessible.

There are kids around our area but some pay more attention to their Dads phone checking EPL results than they do to our game.

Don’t see a problem with crowds at Ibrox so Rangers must have an attractive product. A queue for season tickets. Also we have huge European nights unlike many EPL clubs so I’d say take any kid to that and they’ll be hooked on us. For sure the quality of player is superior in England but the EPL has many boring fixtures and is overrated imo, Top 6 or so aside. With my kids it’s always been Rangers first with an English team second just to be interested in their league a bit. I think that’s been the case with kids for many years anyway.
This 100%.

Also have you tried to watch a top flight EPL game without falling asleep lately?

I

I've got two siblings much younger than me, 18 and 26 and one supports united and the other, Liverpool.

It works in our favour as young up and coming players see us as a shop window to the EPL.
Along with European football and the Old Firm games, that’s why they sign.

Biggest League with the most money but the best i best i dont think so.
Its a borefest, West Ham v Brighton the battle to finish 8th . Dont know why annyone in Scotland would be interested in it.
It was great in the 90s when it was still 80-90% British players.

Things go in cycles. I was at Uni in Glasgow in the 80s as an 18 yr old when the Souness revolution kicked off.

Great fukin times and we were the biggest club in Britain right then.

That was probably the time for Rangers to push for a British league, but Minty was loving the limelight, and we missed the boat.

It's not ideal right now, as we're lumbered with these fukin pedo enabling, terrorist sympathizing parasites, as our only competition, but as an optimist, I believe we'll survive and thrive, due to our Scottish and global fan base, and the passion we have.

There's plenty wealthy bears out here that will ensure we never fade away.

And congrats on the 4 wee bears. They are our future, you must be proud :))
There was a unique set of circumstances that made us the biggest club in Britain at the time:

- English teams were banned from Europe, so top English internationalists including the then-captain, were willing to come to the Old Firm
- We had a chairman who was spending beyond his means and offering players huge salaries via the EBTs that other clubs couldn’t match.

It’s not a cycle and those conditions will never arise again.

Your friends are weirdos for letting that happen.

In the last week I’ve watched Chelsea 4-3 Man Utd, Palace 2-4 City and most of Man Utd 2-2 Liverpool.

If you’re bored during these games you don’t like football.
Remember when Spurs came to Ibrox for the pre-season friendly?
The pace and touch when they hit us on the break was light years from our standard.

- We had a chairman who was spending beyond his means and offering players huge salaries via the EBTs that other clubs couldn’t match.

When was this? MIH ran an EBT scheme from 2000 to 2009. Were Rangers the biggest club in Britain in those years? How much of a 'huge salary' did the EBT scheme cost? It certainly provided a tax benefit to those in the scheme but did it inflate salaries significantly and, if so, by how much?

In the last week I’ve watched Chelsea 4-3 Man Utd, Palace 2-4 City and most of Man Utd 2-2 Liverpool.

If you’re bored during these games you don’t like footbal

If you’re bored during these games you don’t like football.

Not forgetting Newcastle 4 West Ham 3

For as long as I can remember most people back home had a second club that was English and there was the odd ones that didn’t support any Scottish club at all.

Yet demand for seeing Rangers, both home and away, has never been greater.

I've no issue with kids supporting an English team, if it's been a tradition in their family and their dad's maybe from down south or whatever.

Otherwise, it's just pretentious pish and their support likely never goes beyond the the TV in the house.

Us and them will always have huge fan bases in Scotland. The rest are humped, but I still see us and them filling our grounds up until the day I die.

The Premier league has been up there with the best for the last 30 years and, that along with getting sent down the leagues, hasn't made a dent to our support.

The pace and touch when they hit us on the break was light years from our standard.

I remember us pishing all over West Ham the week before.
Pre season games don't really mean a lot mate.

Last edited:
The notion of kids in Scotland supporting or having time for an English team has been applicable for at least about 30 years, it's not new

Scottish sides will always have a reasonable appeal to a lot of younger kids as they are accessible games to attend

I've been going to football since the early 80s and most guys into football I was at school with had an English team. Obviously with the media and money in the game down there now it'll more common these days.

I genuinely see more kids wearing psg, Madrid, Barcelona kits than I do English sides tbh

My wee mans football side they are 6 and never seen an English top, a lot of inter Miami and al nassr though

When I was a kid in the 90's, we wore any football tops we could get our hands on that wasn't of our rivals.

We should be using it as a selling point to the rest of the world over being worried about it. Celtic are unofficially tied in with City, we've got the historical link with Arsenal or the fan link with Chelsea to do something similar. Is it Bournemouth that are about to make Hibs a dumping ground for their underused players?

There was a unique set of circumstances that made us the biggest club in Britain at the time:

- English teams were banned from Europe, so top English internationalists including the then-captain, were willing to come to the Old Firm

I know the reasons that led to Rangers position in the 1980s, but paying over inflated wages with EBTs had nothing to do with it.

The EBTs came later in the 90s, and were being utilized as a legal tax avoidance scheme at the time.
Don't fall for that propaganda, Rangers would have been fine if Sir Flim-flam hadn't ignored the warnings and sold the club to the fraudster Craig Whyte, when the SFA should have blocked the sale.

I'm also not saying that we'll ever be back to being the biggest club in Britain, but circumstances may change, maybe a different UK or European league set up, that would bring revenues allowing us compete on the top European stage again. It's not inconceivable.

You'll never beat going to every game in a championship winning season.

It also provides a reliable mechanism for 20-30 year olds to guarantee a day out at least every fortnight as they settle down with families etc.

Kids become an extension of that in a rites of passage kind of way.

We'll be fine for a long time.

I know the reasons that led to Rangers position in the 1980s, but paying over inflated wages with EBTs had nothing to do with it.

The EBTs came later in the 90s, and were being utilized as a legal tax avoidance scheme at the time.
Don't fall for that propaganda, Rangers would have been fine if Sir Flim-flam hadn't ignored the warnings and sold the club to the fraudster Craig Whyte, when the SFA should have blocked the sale.

I'm also not saying that we'll ever be back to being the biggest club in Britain, but circumstances may change, maybe a different UK or European league set up, that would bring revenues allowing us compete on the top European stage again. It's not inconceivable.
Keep on dreaming.
Why would a foreign national body include us ahead of clubs in their own country.
It will never happen.
We are marooned in Scotland.
Get used to it.

Keep on dreaming.
Why would a foreign national body include us ahead of clubs in their own country.
It will never happen.
We are marooned in Scotland.
Get used to it.

I guess you're a glass completely fukin empty kinda chap :)

I like to remain positive.

I see you haven't acknowledged talking pish about the use of EBTs either.

I guess you're a glass completely fukin empty kinda chap :)

I like to remain positive.

I see you haven't acknowledged talking pish about the use of EBTs either.
I’m a realist.
You’re a dreamer who talks of non-existent cycles that will make us the biggest club in Britain again.
Your argument is based on nothing but nostalgia and a reckless chairman.

I’m a realist.
You’re a dreamer who talks of non-existent cycles that will make us the biggest club in Britain again.
Your argument is based on nothing but nostalgia and a reckless chairman.

Take a day off mate.
No one said that.

Any self respecting 18 y.o. who puts watching an EPL team on TV from their house in Glasgow above following a team like Rangers in Europe or on the road in Scotland is f88king demented.

I get our league is shite but come on to f88k.

Both my girls share my 2nd season ticket and both know NEVER to bring him a 19th Century Terrorist as a boyfriend :))

Growing up in EK in the 90s, there was a squad of us in the same classes at school, we played in the same football teams, went to BB together etc. Rangers was the majority with a couple of token poets, Motherwell, Accies and (oddly), an Ayr United and a St Johnstone fan. One of the boys we knew was a Liverpool fan, a bit strange for the time as don't think he had any family connection or anything with them. As far as I was aware, he just supported them.

Nowadays it's totally flipped. A few of guys I play 7s with are from here but follow Man United, Man City etc and have no interest in any clubs on their doorstep.

I don't think Rangers have been more popular generally than we are now. Waiting lists for season tickets, highest season tickets sales ever, so I don't think that stuff is holding us back. Two things are, stadium size and the obviously much bigger hindrance, the league that delivers a ridiculously bad tv deal (a lot of that down to the incompetence of Doncaster and his team).

Aye, but big Tony Goals still put their defence to the sword :D

We're never competing with the EPL in a financial sense, the offer of European football and a significantly better atmosphere plus the EPL shop window are tools we need to make the most of.

this is why any meaningful stadium expansion would great for us, it would allow more youngsters to attend regularly and grow up going every other week,and if they have been attending games throughout their school years , then a fair percentage would seamlessly move onto buying adult season tickets, we should always have one eye on the future generations of our fanbase

Back