LoyalAndBlue82

Official Ticketer
What's your memories of the big man?

3 leagues
3 Scottish cups
3 league cups
1 player of the year

A worthy hall of famer?

I'll never forget seeing that first free kick of his at Parkhead, from about 40 yards out, that was a bawhair from going in, and thinking what have we signed here!

I absolutely adored the big man, and to come back from the stripping of the captaincy into arguably a bigger rock for us was some achievement

Might have made the difference and helped prevent them winning the league in his first season, had he not been injured most of it. That and whatever happened to Negri post Christmas.

I like him but not a hall of famer

Loved the big man, his runs at times had me bricking it but when it came off it looked class. Good strike of the ball on him

3 leagues
3 Scottish cups
3 league cups
1 player of the year

A worthy hall of famer?

I'll never forget seeing that first free kick of his at Parkhead, from about 40 yards out, that was a bawhair from going in, and thinking what have we signed here!

I absolutely adored the big man, and to come back from the stripping of the captaincy into arguably a bigger rock for us was some achievement
Started off quite mistake prone but once he got to grips with Scottish football was an excellent player.

Speaking of 40 yard freekicks...v Celtic September 98 or 99 (0-0) He hit one right off the bar into the Copland

He was magnificent, when he was on his game. One of the best centre half's we have had.

He obviously has his lapses, but he more than made up for them.

We could never afford a player like Amo these days.
Imagine explaining to a younger bear that we signed we were signing a player, who had not long before marked the best player in the world off the pitch.

Gave Walter his word that he’d sign for us, which he stuck too, after getting an offer from Man United which was paying more.

My favourite memory of the big man was betting him to score first and Rangers to win 3-0 at 150/1 away to DU.

Folk were looking at me like a mentalist when I was delighted when we missed later chances of which their were plenty

Loved the guy.
I thought he was an outstanding player us and never more than backs to the wall defending was required.
Look at his performance in the 99 cup final and him beating his chest to demonstrate where a shot and played him.

Excellent big defender, who had one or two sticky phases in his Rangers career, including the infamous booing game at home (Dundee United?).

Definitely got better the longer he was with us and I recall there was a period of around 4/5 home games in a row that he got man of the match.

He was also fond of heart stopping passes across the 18 yard box, long before they were a regular thing!

I normally like my Rangers centre halves as big emotionless bastards that get a nosebleed at the centre circle & just enjoy breaking up opposition attacks…. but I absolutely adored Amoruso, and all the crazy adventures up the park & wayward free kicks that went with it.

When the big man was in the zone defending he was something else, he was immense in the PAOK away game in 1998 for instance.

He & Craig Moore made for a powerful partnership for a couple of seasons as well.

Shaky start but a absolute collousos of a man.. sometimes had a brain fog moment but his best bits overcome his faults

Treated badly by a big selection of the fans after a mistake or 2. I recall the dundee utd game at home I think it was after he was stripped of the captaincy he was booed I was ready to walk out on the club after that, near got ibto a punch up with guys.
Treated bad by advocaat if I'm being honest..
But the big guy will always be a hero to me..

Hall of Famer? Captained the team to a treble. Including winning the leage at Parkhead. So, that should justify that.

He was a big game player. At times lost concentration in lesser games.

Had bad spells - even being stripped of the captaincy - but bounced back.

Having met him once - a nice guy too.

A pleasure to watch from the stands, one of the top centre half’s of my lifetime (43 years)

A footballing centre half that would be worth an absolute fortune these days

Memories- Dunfermline at Ibrox in to win the league. Led by example that day, hunting everything down and then first out the tunnel after we'd won swinging a couple of t-shirts about like a madman!!

Covered above but could be erratic and stress me out or be very strong.

When he was on it he was fantastic, a colossus in defence. But he was prone to some massive brain farts.

Monaco is still etched in my memory.

When he was on his game he handled Larrson Sutton and Hartson no problem he was quick strong as a bull powerful in the air and had heart.

He had his moments Monaco at home especially but he was a tremendous leader even when he lost the captains armband he still played his heart out.

I loved him and he should rightfully take his place as a legend and hall of famer.

Treated badly by a big selection of the fans after a mistake or 2. I recall the dundee utd game at home I think it was after he was stripped of the captaincy he was booed I was ready to walk out on the club after that, near got ibto a punch up with guys.
Treated bad by advocaat if I'm being honest..
But the big guy will always be a hero to me..

I think the Dundee Uts game was Advocaat's first season.

Lorenzo made a mistake for them to score and felt a bit of the angry-Ibrox wrath - but I feel like he scored at the other end later in the same game and received a lot of praise in the same game!

Either way, he had the balls to come through that situation, which is the mentality that is required at Rangers.

A fantastic player. He was ahead of his time in some ways. A brilliant passer of the ball and someone who could charge out from centre back, beat a couple players and launch an attack.

Teams nowadays would cover for that type of centre back , however back then he was a bit of a novelty and if he lost the ball we would be caught short.

He would be playing for one of the top teams in England if he were at his peak today.

Loved him most of the time others I could have swung for the bugger. Thinking he was Baresi against Monaco and absurd defending against Parma being two ot the times.

Great Rangers centre half.

Ask Sutton and Hartson for reference.

Most ashamed I've felt by the actions of some (sizeable) of our own was him being booed at home vs Dundee United after a mistake. A disgrace.

A leader and a very strong character. We let him leave too early but what a way to finish.

Loved the big man.
Spot on Hap

He had Hartson and Sutton in his back pocket most of the time,absolutely bullied them.

And sadly mind the booing at that game.

Would that have been around the time he started wearing boots with green flashes on the sides ,upsetting the uber staunch :D

Great player for us and the way he carried himself after being stripped of the captain’s arm band many would have had the head down and found an escape route as fast as possible

I started going to games in 1999 when I was 6 so for me I loved Amo & Moore that was my rangers center backs.

Ronnie MacKinnon was always my favourite CH but big Amo is right up there
with him in.Teriffic big CB.;)

3 leagues
3 Scottish cups
3 league cups
1 player of the year

A worthy hall of famer?

Loved him as a player

Loved him, heart in mouth at times but he got us and the club from the start.

Could ping a beauty of a strike, as well as some utter shanners.

Loved the big man. He had all the attributes of a world class defender...but unfortunately the odd brain fart meant he wasn't in that class. But I think he was a great Rangers centre-half.

Gave 100% every game. Understood the club. No nonsense defender. Downside, thought he was Beckenbaur and when he did the whole of Ibrox held it’s breath.

Mentally stronger than a lot of our players from any era possibly. He was basically scapegoat in Advocaat third season and stripped of captaincy. Could easily have broken lesser guys. He had his finest season the following year and a huge part of another treble year after.

A pleasure to watch from the stands, one of the top centre half’s of my lifetime (43 years)

A footballing centre half that would be worth an absolute fortune these days
Was just coming on to post the same, way way better than harry maguire who cost £80m

I started going to games in 1999 when I was 6 so for me I loved Amo & Moore that was my rangers center backs.
When I think of Amo and Moore it makes me think what a great partnership they had. Also puts to bed the shite about left sided centre backs.

Reactions: GR4
Back