Lost a good Bear and a good Friend this evening - Bill Munn

gomacgers

I’m very sad to report the passing this evening of lifelong Rangers fan, Bill Munn.

Bill would have been 82 years old later this year, and although he hasn’t posted on FF for a number of years, he used to post under the moniker of RoscoBoss.

In 2005 Bill was struck down with Guillain-Barré syndrome leaving him (initially) paralyzed from the neck downwards.
Bill was an inpatient in the PDRU at the Southern General for a couple of years. The amazing staff there worked Bill very hard and eventually he had feeling and movement in his upper body, but not so much in his legs and he would have to use a wheelchair to get around for the rest of his life - including the occasional visit to Ibrox in the disabled section.

However a couple of months ago Bill was diagnosed with a cancer, which had already spread to other parts at the time of the diagnosis, and we were informed it was terminal.

Bill had no living Family members of his own, but had a large Rangers Family from all around the world, who he kept in contact with online.
Some older posters may remember Bill from FF meetings and from visiting him at the PDRU many years ago.

Bill also served in the Army with the Cameronians in the early 1960s but sadly this was one battle he couldn’t win.

Rest easy old Friend
GBNF

I only met Bill once due to living on separate continents but he was a gem. We communicated online for a bit when he was able but sadly that stopped a while ago.

My lasting memory of him is when he described himself as an “egg on legs”. Nearly fell off the barstool at that one.

RIP my friend.

Many years ago, over 20 I’m guessing Bill used my season ticket a few times. Never met him, always spoke on here and on email.

Godspeed Bill

I am really sorry to hear about your friend Bill OP.

I remember contacting you about him some years ago as my brother-in-law's wife had Guillain-Barré syndrom (thankfully diagnosed very early affecting her lower limbs and thanfully fully recovered). You kindly arranged for me meet up with Bill at a game pre-match many moons ago but Bill wasn't quite up to it on the day and the weather was horrendous anyway iirc.

Sad news.

R.I.P Bill and condolences to all his friends.

Bill was simply a lovely guy. Loved his country and loved his football and treated people he met decently.

He subscribed early on to the fanzine and over the years would write for us and attend the FF Contributors meetings where his was always a voice of relative sanity!

I visited him in the PDRU when we was struck down with Guillain-Barré syndrome - invariably the talk was not about him but “this team of ours” - there must have been tearful times for him but he was stoic and filled with a determination to make the most of life,

I have to admit I should perhaps have been a better pal - but to be frank the syndrome he had frightened me - not that I thought I would catch it from him - but that random, sudden and overwhelming way it acted scared me, Bill understood that.

Thinking about him now what I remember most is his gentle humour - the way he would roll a line into a conversation. At an FF meeting in Annie Miller’s we were joined before an Old Firm game by a Danish TV crew when Brian Laudrup was at the height of his powers.

Bill was interviewed by a lovely Danish lady whom he treated with his usual courtly charm. She asked him why Laudrup was such a phenomena, Bill waxed lyrical about the languages he could speak, his wine, his love of art and finished off with the line that not every club had a great footballer who “is also a liberal polymath”. :)

Farewell Bill - it was lovely to have known you.

Bill was interviewed by a lovely Danish lady whom he treated with his usual courtly charm. She asked him why Laudrup was such a phenomena, Bill waxed lyrical about the languages he could speak, his wine, his love of art and finished off with the line that not every club had a great footballer who “is also a liberal polymath”. :)
I remember reading about this quote many, many years ago on FF (maybe 20) and having to look up what it meant! I knew exactly where this story was going before I even got anywhere near the punch line because it always stuck with me.

Sad to hear that the man who coined the phrase has passed, even though I never met or knew him at all. It’s a funny old place FF.

Rest easy sir.

R.I.P SIR.My wife spent 3 months in hospital with GBS in 1991.Has never fully recovered.
I think I remember Bill saying that he had the most severe strain of GBS! He was 63 years old when he contracted it in 2005, so never recovered fully.
I’m sorry to hear that your wife hasn’t fully recovered either from GBS :(
I also remember the former celtic player Morten Wieghorst contracted GBS in 2000 at the age of 29, and he was back playing again around a year later. Maybe partly to do with him being younger and fitter!

I recognise the name and also the user name and certainly in a positive way.

Very sad to hear Bill has passed away.

Condolences to all concerned.

Back