Lovro Majer - January Target

SimplyRangers

Our scouts have watched Dinamo Zagreb several times, going back to the Super Cup game in July and this is the name that keeps being flagged up. Attacking midfielder & Croatia Under 21 international and has allegedly advised his club that playing in the UK is his preference.

Just back from an injury and came on against Man City midweek. Both Barisic and Katic could be a huge influence in swinging this our way.

Yes mate only passing on what info I heard. Main priority in January for Ross Wilson will likely be moving some players on, however this is a player that the data guys and scouts feel could contribute.
Again, Appreciate you sharing what you hear mate. Would certainly fit the bill in terms of buy low, develop, sell on for big profit model we are going down.

Could become a Majer player with us.
tenor.gif

‘Majer Player’

obligatory

The boy looks to have some skills alright, judging by that. 2 out of 3 hit rate so far through poaching from Croatian league so if we are making a move, let's hope he's a Borna / Niko style gem rather than a Grezda omnishambles.

Btw, noticed there are some ridiculously half- arsed challenges from the defenders in some of those clips. Compare and contrast that to some of the "full-blooded" challenges (e.g. borderline assaults) we see up here. The young man would likely need a bit of time to adjust if he does come given he'll never have experienced a big hairy Declan McHammerthrower type launching himself at him from 10 yards away with studs up, elbows swinging and likely over the ball too.

Not seen the vid and know nothing about him. However, I’ve started to lose count of how many “highlight reels” have made pure diddies look good. I mind thinking Herrera and Pena looked decent, for a start.

But, Croatians have a decent record here and with the 2 guys here possibly putting the nod in - well, fair enough. But I’ve no idea how much he’d be.

Fits the “buy young, enhance the potential, sell for a profit” model we are working with though.

Our model is important in terms of future transfers and Wilson will be looking to implement that moving forward.

The Croatian market is one that we have had some success out of and based on that will make us more appealing. The Europa League run and exposure from that is helping us identify and enquire about a higher calibre of player.

Our scouts and data analysts are all over the place identifying players but only a small number actually reach the point that we are at with Majer.

There's no way we can afford him, Zagreb would be mental to let him go for anything close to our price range

There's no way we can afford him, Zagreb would be mental to let him go for anything close to our price range

You would think that, however these deals can be structured in a way that suits everyone. Player power is massive and if we can get the nod from Majer it could swing it.

The end game for Majer would be the EPL which could also make Zagreb £. Would be down to the club to structure an offer that suits. If Gerrard prioritises him, then I’m sure the work will be put in to try and make it work.

If he’s available in January, but likely not to be come summer - then it may make sense to try and push the boat out a bit based on the projected income from Alfie by Summer 2020. Though that’s a risky strategy and clearly he’s not like for like so that would mean allocating more to AN Other as well.

Depends on how much, regards risk/reward.

Not seen the vid and know nothing about him. However, I’ve started to lose count of how many “highlight reels” have made pure diddies look good. I mind thinking Herrera and Pena looked decent, for a start.

But, Croatians have a decent record here and with the 2 guys here possibly putting the nod in - well, fair enough. But I’ve no idea how much he’d be.

Fits the “buy young, enhance the potential, sell for a profit” model we are working with though.
All I’m saying is the last two players I thought YouTube reel looked good was Barisic and Alfie. Just saying...

Majer hasn't been an automatic starter and doesn't have a senior cap in two years. Cant be that expensive surely.

There’s usually a disconnect in terms of these “wonderkids” and their rumoured transfers to major clubs when the dust settles a bit and their real market value is explored. Which is where clubs like us come in and do a deal that works for everyone.

This is a genuine target to be brought in to the club for January.

There’s usually a disconnect in terms of these “wonderkids” and their rumoured transfers to major clubs when the dust settles a bit and their real market value is explored. Which is where clubs like us come in and do a deal that works for everyone.

This is a genuine target to be brought in to the club for January.
Yip. All the hype when they breakthrough meaning incredible prices put on their head and once they go through a dip in form(meaning less hype) us and clubs like us, offer them a pathway to the EPL. (Not saying Dinamo don’t, in fact they are much more experienced and better at it than us but, he just doesn’t seem to be playing for them just now)

Dinamo have also signed Ivanusec in the summer who I believe plays in the same position which would push him even further down the pecking order
They also have Moro and Olmo (who made his debut for Spain last month) who play in similar positions. Majer played just 8 minutes of their champions League group stage games.

It seems like he hasn't kicked on as much as they hoped. Could be a risky one depending on the price. Ante Coric and Alen Halilovic spring to mind when thinking of promising Dinamo cam's. If we go for him hopefully he is more modric and less coric

He is the number 10 we have been needing for the past 3 years think 5/6m will get him and he will be away to the Prem after 2 seasons for double that at least.

This is the model now and this is the kind of player we push the boat out on because we will get the return.

The data available for him and his potential growth is staggering. He dictates tempo so well at such a young age.

As much as I like the idea of a creative signing, I can't imagine it will be majer. He's being looked at by a number of huge clubs and touted around 8mill mark I'm sure.

If we could get him for under 4m I think it would be an absoloute steal but with such a young player in a new league there's always an element of risk but for me he's the type of player we should be going for he fits the buy cheap sell big module and don't see us losing money if we get him for the right price.

As much as I like the idea of a creative signing, I can't imagine it will be majer. He's being looked at by a number of huge clubs and touted around 8mill mark I'm sure.

Mate I’d imagine Alfie will go in the summer and he could be the replacement for Kamara if he goes and that would fund it too.

The boy looks to have some skills alright, judging by that. 2 out of 3 hit rate so far through poaching from Croatian league so if we are making a move, let's hope he's a Borna / Niko style gem rather than a Grezda omnishambles.

Btw, noticed there are some ridiculously half- arsed challenges from the defenders in some of those clips. Compare and contrast that to some of the "full-blooded" challenges (e.g. borderline assaults) we see up here. The young man would likely need a bit of time to adjust if he does come given he'll never have experienced a big hairy Declan McHammerthrower type launching himself at him from 10 yards away with studs up, elbows swinging and likely over the ball too.
Just like borna needed time to adjust

However this forum will want him sold by February if this interest is true, but we really need to stick by him if we do get him

That's why getting him in January could be smart, gives him time to adjust and come out swinging next season.

Our model is important in terms of future transfers and Wilson will be looking to implement that moving forward.

The Croatian market is one that we have had some success out of and based on that will make us more appealing. The Europa League run and exposure from that is helping us identify and enquire about a higher calibre of player.

Our scouts and data analysts are all over the place identifying players but only a small number actually reach the point that we are at with Majer.

When you say "data analysts" i assume you mean that we are following the Moneyball route of identifying players?

Yes, the club are totally and completely wasting their time here and, ultimately, embarrassing us, making us look really stupid.
They should be looking at more likely and affordable targets.
Then again, they might have done some pre scouting work.

When you say "data analysts" i assume you mean that we are following the Moneyball route of identifying players?

I would think that our "data analysts" initially identify a list of players who's stats are up to scratch then the scouting team go and do their thing to confirm the stats have given the correct assessment and the player is worth further consideration.

there will be other players who still get identified through other means (word of mouth/contacts etc)

The analysts identify players based on hundreds of factors and send this information to the respective people at the club who then discuss the next stage on where to take it.

Alot of players don’t hit the right areas for further scouting but the moneyball route you mention is definitely a big factor for us moving forward. Identify young players for a reasonable price with huge growth potential, improve them and them sell them. Invest and go again.

Back