Low viewing figures for Old Firm on Sky

MisterEd

According to the official figures only 275,ooo watched the Old Firm game on Sky last week.

That compares unfavourably to over 400,000 for the Sheffield derby in the Championship.

No chance of getting any more money from Sky for the next contract.

Probably because a lot would be watching in the pubs + a lot of the people who can afford it were watching it live at Ibrox

Also it's not a big draw down south any more...too one sided. The SC semi final we won a while back had 600,000 watching.

These figures don't do our game justice because how easy it is to watch for free on certain devices now

These figures don't do our game justice because how easy it is to watch for free on certain devices now

But so is Sheffield derby surely? Bottom line is that one was poised on knife edge whereas everyone knew we'd lose.

Where the actual stats not slightly different. I'm sure sky had it on two of their channels and this was the figures on one of them.

I could be wrong.

Ah, but pure 100 million watch these games around the world - lied Doncaster last season.:rolleyes:

Outwith Scotland and the small ex-pat communities in North America and Australasia, no-one watches this game.

Sums up where the game is at

It's tainted and heavily favoured toward a team who glorify terrorists and stay quiet on abuse.

But so is Sheffield derby surely? Bottom line is that one was poised on knife edge whereas everyone knew we'd lose.
I'd imagine more people down south subscribe to sky as they get more value for money on games they will watch.

Scotland on the other hand have very few games to justify the cost so choose to stream.

Not saying this is the only reason viewing figures are low but it will be a factor

I doubt Sky will renew.

Our best hope would be for BT to think they're getting one over Sky by bidding for it all.

Then all we need is Heart & Hand to offer alternative commentary :)

I doubt Sky will renew.

Our best hope would be for BT to think they're getting one over Sky by bidding for it all.

Then all we need is Heart & Hand to offer alternative commentary :)

What they pay for SPFL is chicken feed to them so not sure they not renew.

No interest down south these days, Bellamy was correct when he said this. Also, on Talksport they have regular betting pundits on. The Rangers v Celtic game wasn't mentioned. Bearing in mind these guys will try and drum up betting interest on any sporting event it was a telling exclusion.

My pals / contacts down south (most prefer us) don't watch these games as nine think they are competitive. It could be that simple.

No interest down south these days, Bellamy was correct when he said this. Also, on Talksport they have regular betting pundits on. The Rangers v Celtic game wasn't mentioned. Bearing in mind these guys will try and drum up betting interest on any sporting event it was a telling exclusion.
Agreed - living down here, no-one gives a fook about Scottish football (quite rightly) and hardly any tune in to our game v mentally challengeds.

It certainly doesn't surprise me that the Sheffield derby gets more viewers.

I cringe when people try and hype up the Rangers v Scumtic game - it is nowhere near as big as many make out.

Given some of the unadulterated garbage that Sky hype up, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't try and hype our own game.

The Yahoos dominance, their ridiculous unbeaten run just detracts credibility from it all. The last 5 years have been incredibly damaging to the perception of Scottish football, never mind the actual quality of it.

Sadly we are not the huge draw we used to be and the match is too one sided for the neutral

Also thanks to a decade or more of 'working for the clampdown' the atmosphere is generally shit as well...less intimidating now than Brondby v FCK.
Agreed - atmos is really nothing special these days. A blast of noise at the the beginning which lasts a relatively short time and them it's fairly standard stuff. Hugely underwhelming.

Also thanks to a decade or more of 'working for the clampdown' the atmosphere is generally shit as well...less intimidating now than Brondby v FCK.

Do you think the atmosphere is better at the Piggery for these games on the grounds that the Yahoos could slaughter a couple of goats and have a Republican flute band marching round the track for the duration of the game and the cops wouldn't do anything? Or do you think it's the same at both grounds?

It's definitely a factor at Ibrox, I would agree. You feel it.

Agreed - atmos is really nothing special these days. A blast of noise at the the beginning which lasts a relatively short time and them it's fairly standard stuff. Hugely underwhelming.

Because they are horsing us every game. Just wait until the next time we beat them, Ibrox will be electric.

Barca will play Real four times this year and no one will complain
Those are tourist attractions, nothing more. Christ there is an initial cheer at a goal then the fans stand clapping.

Real derbies have fans falling all over the place going tonto at a goal.

Outside of those who actively “support”Rangers or Celtic to some extent, nobody cares. The problem that Sky now has with Scottish football is that they are now showing a league where there used to be 2 teams going at it, but now there is only one winner. The matches between the two team used to be competitive and close, even unpredictable but right now there is only a Celtic win to show.

The casual viewer just doesn’t rearrange their day to sit down and watch that at home or in the pub at midday on a Saturday.

Do you think the atmosphere is better at the Piggery for these games on the grounds that the Yahoos could slaughter a couple of goats and have a Republican flute band marching round the track for the duration of the game and the cops wouldn't do anything? Or do you think it's the same at both grounds?

Their atmosphere is vastly overrated...watched a tiny bit of PSG game and it was deathly silent. They have YNWA and then 5 minutes of "Celtic, Celtic..." and then they sit down. Last time we offered ANY challenge was away game (1-1) and they were quiet as mice as game went on....it is EASY to be colourful when on top. I well recall the 90s and flag day, bog roll day etc...we were rampant and so ideas came flowing.

Outside of those who actively “support”Rangers or Celtic to some extent, nobody cares. The problem that Sky now has with Scottish football is that they are now showing a league where there used to be 2 teams going at it, but now there is only one winner. The matches between the two team used to be competitive and close, even unpredictable but right now there is only a Celtic win to show.

The casual viewer just doesn’t rearrange their day to sit down and watch that at home or in the pub at midday on a Saturday.

Yeah, you're right. Down south most fans don't see it as a huge game, certainly nowhere near as big as we think it is up here.

I was on holiday a few years back and met a couple of Gunners and Spurs Fans and they even thought their derby was bigger than ours.

I'd say the reality is that at Ibrox our home support is not exactly great at getting behind the team when the team needs a lift. We go quiet far too quickly.

According to the official figures only 275,ooo watched the Old Firm game on Sky last week.

That compares unfavourably to over 400,000 for the Sheffield derby in the Championship.

No chance of getting any more money from Sky for the next contract.

There was a thread on this last week, bud.
I’m not sure taking one game, in isolation, is a good idea.
More so with how we’re doing just now.

Try finding a pub/venue which shows our game v the mentally challengeds in England, Europe or many other places. Unless it is a place where 'ex-pats' are gathered, you will struggle find a place showing the game.

Guys, we are dealing with an organization who paid Barry Hearn to analyze and recommend change. He did so, they told him to %^*& off and Doncaster gave himself a £30,000 pay rise.

The game up here is 100% self preservation. There is no appetite for change.

What’s the attraction for non supporters to watch?

For the time being it’s one sided games, the football isn’t particularly attractive to watch and they’d probably struggle to name more than a handful of players

Sky also showing English derby games at the same time will contribute to that. There's also just not the same attraction as before

Their atmosphere is vastly overrated...watched a tiny bit of PSG game and it was deathly silent. They have YNWA and then 5 minutes of "Celtic, Celtic..." and then they sit down. Last time we offered ANY challenge was away game (1-1) and they were quiet as mice as game went on....it is EASY to be colourful when on top. I well recall the 90s and flag day, bog roll day etc...we were rampant and so ideas came flowing.
I actually thought they were pretty poor during the last game at Ibrox till they scored just sitting back waiting for it to happen imagine when things take a bad turn.

Although you need to take into consideration it's free to watch, 2 teams of Youtubers played each other at Wembley at the weekend and the live stream has currently got 1.6m views. Strange times we are living in when two teams of non-professionals can pull in figures like that while an Old Firm struggles for viewers.

Scottish football is in terminal decline at all levels,The signs have been there for years and the way things we're handled when we were having our troubles added to the mess,Scottish football the game that hated itself to death many a true word is said in jest.

Yeah, you're right. Down south most fans don't see it as a huge game, certainly nowhere near as big as we think it is up here.

I was on holiday a few years back and met a couple of Gunners and Spurs Fans and they even thought their derby was bigger than ours.
I spoke to a young guy in a call centre and we got talking football. He was a Preston North End fan looking forward to an upcoming Derby with Burnley. "I know you've got Rangers/Celtic but us and Burnley really hate each other!" o_O

These recent viewing figures are just another example of the self-harm Scottish football continues to inflict on itself.

In all honesty, if I was not not a Rangers fan and supported an English team I wouldn't go out my way to watch this. If I wasn't doing anything or wasn't watching anything else, I might tune in for 5-10 minutes or so and see that the standard of football is shite and move on to something else.

The English aren't bothered with Scottish football. Why would they be?

Sure, you'll get a few that prefer us or them - but that's it.

Mainly, it's just a shit league in a shit country.

Scottish football is in terminal decline at all levels,The signs have been there for years and the way things we're handled when we were having our troubles added to the mess,Scottish football the game that hated itself to death many a true word is said in jest.

Can't disagree with any of this.

It's Scottish football's problem.

They tried to kill the biggest club in the land, they've inadvertently destroyed Scottish football.

Back