Luca Modric wins Ballon D'or

The result was leaked a few hours ago. A farce that Messi is 5th and Modric won, a total farce.

lmiksoekj3221.jpg

I doubt there have been 4 better players in the history of football!

But it always gets dominated by players who did well at the world cup in those years, and Argentina were pretty rubbish.

I know Modric had a good world cup, but was he really the best player in the world this year?

He's a great wee player, and deserves recognition for that, but he's never better than Ronaldo or Messi.

Similar to when Cannavaro won it. Had a great WC, but was never the best player in the world that year. Ridiculous the way that award goes at times.

Frightening that Salah came below Messi in 6th place!

Mbappe is definitely a future winner, but if I was picking it, I'd have had Salah winning it.

How can anyone really object to the award going to someone other than Messi and Ronaldo?

Messi had a wonderful season last year and it's time someone else was recognised.

In fact, it'd go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't see why Modric has won this shouldn't be watching football at all.

If it's based on world cup success then it's a farce as its not Messis fault Argentina are terrible.

You cant blame a great player on his rubbish countries results.

Messi is still one or two for me.
Its a farce because he (and Ronaldo but to a lesser extent) was by far and away the best player of 2018. He was in his own universe again.

Fair one lads, as said though this has been voted on. Modric also had an excellent season and an excellent World Cup. I appreciate you think Messi was better but I don’t think Mdric getting it was a ‘farce’. Easy to see why people would vote for him tbh.

Got no issue with Modric winning it. Messi away down in 5th with the way he’s played in 2018 seems scandalous, sort of devalues the whole thing and shows the price you pay for not grabbing one of the big trophies, which kind of makes it a team award.

Neymar at 12th? Feck me, that must be because of all the bad PR he got at the World Cup because he’s easily still one of the top 5 in the world. I get that he’s at PSG so he cant ranked top 5 for this, but 12th is still really low for him. But then Ronaldo still managed to clinch second after disappearing in the CL semi finals, finals and the World Cup knockouts with a rape allegation hanging over him too so fair fùcks.

Good to see someone outside of Messi/Ronaldo to win it, Modric pretty much took Croatia to the 2018 World Cup Final with an unfashionable team, well done him I say..

Got no issue with Modric winning it. Messi away down in 5th with the way he’s played in 2018 seems scandalous, sort of devalues the whole thing and shows the price you pay for not grabbing one of the big trophies, which kind of makes it a team award.

Neymar at 12th? Feck me, that must be because of all the bad PR he got at the World Cup because he’s easily still one of the top 5 in the world. I get that he’s at PSG so he cant ranked top 5 for this, but 12th is still really low for him. But then Ronaldo still managed to clinch second after disappearing in the CL semi finals, finals and the World Cup knockouts with a rape allegation hanging over him too so fair fùcks.

Unsure what playing for PSG has got to do with not getting a top 5 slot. I thought Mbappe came 4th??

A refreshing change...is he better than Ronaldo/Messi? Probably not but a World Cup runner up and Champions League winner.

An integral part of both Real Madrid and Croatia squads.

Should other great players go through their whole career not winning it because two super humans are playing? They’ve set a level and I wouldn’t say either of them have done anything exceptional above what they “normally” do.

Did you catch any of the World Cup mate?
Yes, and although he was decent for France I just don't think the performances for Man Utd justify the money they paid or the fuss that's made.

It's not often someone is excellent for their country but crap for their domestic team, it's normally the other way around. Most of the players on that list perform for both, regularly!

Yes, and although he was decent for France I just don't think the performances for Man Utd justify the money they paid or the fuss that's made.

It's not often someone is excellent for their country but crap for their domestic team, it's normally the other way around. Most of the players on that list perform for both, regularly!

Fair enough, I think he was good and 9 votes is realistic enough when you look at the amount of votes the others got.

No one is saying Modric is a better player than Messi (or Ronaldo). It's not a lifetime achievement award, it's based on 17/18 season. Compared to some of his stratospheric years, Messi didn't hit the heights in terms of Champions League wins etc.

How can anyone really object to the award going to someone other than Messi and Ronaldo?

Messi had a wonderful season last year and it's time someone else was recognised.

In fact, it'd go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't see why Modric has won this shouldn't be watching football at all.

I feel similarly.

Is Modric a better footballer than Messi? No.

Did he have a better all round season?

Champions League winner, World Cup finalist - quite possibly, yes.

But just the fact someone other than Messi or Ronaldo has won it is almost something of a relief.

Messi's downfall is the fact that he's so good. People read headlines that he had a poor World Cup (when in fact he got to the same stage as Ronaldo and only lost to the eventual winners and runners up.

Can anyone honestly say that Modric, Ronaldo, Griezmann or Mbappe were better than Messi though? It's not about what awards your team wins, it's an individual award and Messi yet again was head and shoulders above anyway.

The fact that he's only won it once in the last 5 years is criminal.

Future generations will look back and think what the hell were people thinking voting for anyone else.

Messi's downfall is the fact that he's so good. People read headlines that he had a poor World Cup (when in fact he got to the same stage as Ronaldo and only lost to the eventual winners and runners up.

Can anyone honestly say that Modric, Ronaldo, Griezmann or Mbappe were better than Messi though? It's not about what awards your team wins, it's an individual award and Messi yet again was head and shoulders above anyway.

The fact that he's only won it once in the last 5 years is criminal.

Future generations will look back and think what the hell were people thinking voting for anyone else.

I really don't think they will, given that he's won it the most amount of times and won four of his five awards on the trot.

Obviously Messi's peers and others in football think he's 5th best. However, I wouldn't think there is any real credibility to that.

However, I think Modric deserved it. A truly fantastic player that goes unrewarded for his performances quite a lot. Had a fantastic World Cup and is just simply a very good footballer.

It’s becoming more of a ‘what did your team win,’ award and international football makes it far harder for players from lesser nations to get anywhere near the top.

Would George Weah win it nowadays? Unlikely.

Back