Luca Modric wins Ballon D'or

How can anyone really object to the award going to someone other than Messi and Ronaldo?

Messi had a wonderful season last year and it's time someone else was recognised.

In fact, it'd go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't see why Modric has won this shouldn't be watching football at all.
So David Silva for 2019 then?

You know it won't happen, it's politics not who is the best footballer.

People have became diluted on what Messi does, he plays with such brilliance on so many occasions it doesn't get recognized as such a lot of the time anymore. Go look at what he actually done last season and the start of this, he's still by far and away the best.

Modric is a absolutely fantastic player but don't insult my intelligence by saying he was the best player in the world over the year or so. He was brilliant in a couple of high profile games, but the award is about over the course of the whole season.

I don't get the argument "it's about time they gave it to someone else other than Messi and Ronaldo" they are still the best players in the world, BEING the best two season to season. Things like this are why awards will always be pointless.

Messi 5th!

4 better players than Messi???

Scandalous.

La Liga
Cops Del Rey
Super Cops
Pichichi
European Golden Boot
La Liga Player of the year
La Liga forward of the year
FIFAPro World XI
Most Goals
Most Assists
Most MOTM Awards
Most free kicks scored
Most chances created
Most dribbles created
Only player to reach 150 assists in La Liga
Fastest player to score 100 goals in UCL
All time top scorer in UCL group stages
Most hat-tricks scores in UCL

So on what planet is Messi the 5th best player??

I'm afraid I just can't take that list seriously at all without James Forrest on it.

The fact Messi has only won it once in the last 5 seasons proves what a farce it is, although i agree that neither he or Ronaldo should have won it this year anyway.

Messi and Ronaldo are the 2 best players in the world and have consistently been so since 2008.

No one else comes close.

Are people bored of the same 2 winning? That's the only reason someone else can win this just now.

Unless someone else comes on the scene who scores 40+ goals a season, and about 20 assists too, every season without fail in the top divisions in world football it should be those 2 as 1 and 2.

It was Modric's turn. They needed a change from the usual suspects.

Modric is 33, it's more like one of those lifetime achievement awards.

He is a great wee player.

Modric came from a tough background. Same neck of the woods as Dado, so he is ok in my view. Only lived down the road from me as well at one time.

I’m not saying Modric isn’t deserving, but do you need a Real or Barca jersey to win this farce?. o_O
It tends to go to the best players of teams who have won the biggest prizes or come close. So in that respect winning the champions league then reaching the World Cup Final with an unfancied Croatia side was a fantastic achievement, for me he is deserving this year but it’s all about opinions.

Because I really couldn't care less about Silva at this moment in time.
We lost the game and I am furious but I ain't gonna cry into my beer all night over it. Celtic drew so that really has boosted me.

Aside from that how can you not see David Silva has been easily the best player in the EPL and he is having his best season in his career.

Back