Lundstram contract situation.

Kirkhillbear

Official Ticketer
Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.

If he decides to stay, it seems it will only be because no clubs in England actually want him based on the brain dead criteria some on here apply to Goldson.

I would expect it is more likely he takes his time and weighs up the decision given it's likely the last truly defining contract of his career.

Last edited:
As he is out of contract, he might have some more lucrative offers from down south on the table that we won’t be able to match (large signing on fee). So he may already be aware of an offer on the table from elsewhere or is waiting to see if something comes up before putting pen to paper at Ibrox. I wouldn’t hold it against him, this will most likely be his final payday.

Does highlight that we must get better at handling contracts!

He’s reportedly on a hefty wage and I’m not sure if the Club would want to raise that but I also don’t think you can ask your potential POTY to take a pay cut. It doesn’t sound like a straightforward situation.

He will have signed on inflated wages due to being a free transfer, depending on how much it is I'm not sure we should be matching it again and he might not fancy taking a cut

Hope he signs on again, failing that I can see a newly promoted team going for him down south, i.e. a Leeds/Southampton.

Rumoured a few weeks ago he's extended for 2 years, no idea if true or why it's not announced if it is

Its not a simple deal for either the player or club. Have a feeling he will leave on a free to an EPL club in the summer if his agent finds one.

Bit torn on it, he been one of our better performers in recent months, but I do think we could upgrade.
But, tbh, of our options in that area, hes probably first pick, and there are others who i'd be happy to see leave before him.

Clement has mentioned him as one of his generals and assistant managers on the pitch, he clearly rates him and wants him to stay, for that reason alone I hope he’s staying. Lundstram has also said he loves it here and wants to stay.

If he decides to stay, it seems it will only be because no clubs in England actually wants him based on the brain dead criteria some on here apply to Goldson.

I would expect it is more likely he takes his time and weighs up the decision given it's likely the last truly defining contract of his career.
it’s a bit different from Goldson, we were on the back of a europa league final, he was a free agent and didn’t sign back with us till he was literally a free agent, Don’t think it’s weird to assume he didn’t get the offers he thought he was going to get.

Could be way off but if he had got an offer from a palace, West Ham etc he wouldn’t be here

Tend to agree. I think Lundstram has been in good form recently, but I don't think it would be a catastrophe if we freed up his wage and brought someone else in. An honest pro but not a game changer
Freeing his wages doesn't provide the millions to actually buy a replacement though does it. A first pick in the team. So a replacement won't be cheap. It needs sorted ASAP.

Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.

On the one hand, we will be freeing up a lot of wages in the summer, so it isn't necessarily an affordability question: more of a value for money one.

I like JL, but worth remembering he is one of our best paid players, if I recall, Goldson was furious at the wage he received relative to a renewal we offered him before he re-signed. Well north of £30k a week apparently.

Not so sure I'd be jumping through hoops to match his terms like for like for another few years to be brutally honest.

I'd actually like to see the wagebill reduced because it doesn't need to be anywhere near it's current level for us to compete.

1 year older, 1 yard slower. We can use the money on JL for younger and better.
Nothing about watching John Lundstram this season has suggested he’s slowing down. He looks fitter than ever this season and the amount of games he’s playing shows that.

It was always a hell of a debate on here when everyone thought he was shite.
I don't think it can be argued that form wise he's blown hot and cold in his time with us, the dilemma is caused by the fact that when he's good, he's very good - a literal game changer. Sterling starting to look the part has maybe played a factor in his showing this season, seems like the sort of player that steps up when there's competition.

Negotiations ongoing or were but he was asking for more money allegedly.

He is playing well but not sure what we should offer him.

I don't think it can be argued that form wise he's blown hot and cold in his time with us, the dilemma is caused by the fact that when he's good, he's very good - a literal game changer. Sterling starting to look the part has maybe played a factor in his showing this season, seems like the sort of player that steps up when there's competition.
Definitely mate.

There’s no doubt for spells he hasn’t been worth his reported wages. Currently, he absolutely is and I think Clement will agree that.

I'd be more than happy for him to leave.

We need better in there.

Cue the "we won't get better" deluded nonsense from some :rolleyes:
And as always, that would remain to be seen.

We may well get better or may being in a dud but hopefully those days are behind is with Beale getting the bump.

He's been outstanding since Clement came in

No brainer to renew his contract even if it is at the top end of our structure

He's been Clements most reliable player, would be very very hard to replace him and right now in this team and the rebuild we require we could do with him hanging about.

No way on earth should we be giving him 30k a year at his age no matter how much he’s improved if we can negotiate a smaller wage then fair enough

Freeing his wages doesn't provide the millions to actually buy a replacement though does it. A first pick in the team. So a replacement won't be cheap. It needs sorted ASAP.
Lundstram was a bosman. Maybe there's another bosman available who has similar wage demands.

Not trying to over simplify it, there are lots of factors to consider. But its possible that the management team thinks the 30k a week could be better spent elsewhere.

Back