Lundstram

Lundstram a few months ago was outstanding, what's changed... rumour I heard, he's on £37k a week, board have offered £19k to stay, his reps told them not to bother with another derisory offer.

If true, coincides with his form dip, and no player is going to risk injury if they are looking to move on.
To be fair this has happened in the past with far better players at Rangers than John Lundstram.

If true the Manager has to sort it out starting on Sunday.

He had 103 touches last night and 110 at the weekend.

What did he do with any of them?
Find a Rangers player with 95% of them.

The problem is not Lundstram ffs. The problem lies in creating chances. The problem is our dreadful set pieces. The problem is , unlike Lundstram, we have too many players incapable of passing the ball to a Rangers player. The problem is we don’t have a player capable of putting the ball in the net. The problem is we have no left back….. and so on and so on.

He drops so deep as he doesn’t have the touch or awareness to take the ball in tight spaces or with back to goal..needs to be facing the play. Then, doesn’t have the necessary forward passing ability. Add to that a general positional weakness defensively and you only really have a guy that runs about..not good enough.

He’s out on his feet. He’s been a one man midfield all season and looks shattered. He’s given his all and Clement needs to shoulder some of the blame for not resting him.

He’s an easy target for some when there are far worse culprits in the team.
Just as an example Blair Spittal has scored 7 goals with 9 assists

JL 0 goals 4 assists

One is a good midfielder the other is a SPL jobber I will let you work out which is which……

This gets said in every single thread about individual players threads.

People are determined to keep losers.
Imo keeping losers has become a cliche rather than fact.
Most people allude losers to being the old guard.

Who are the old guard who are left.
Jack - Doesn’t play
Roofe-Doesn’t play
Borna—Not playing much and when he did was before the mini slump.
Leaves Tav and Goldson.
So a squad of losers becomes 2 players.

Lundstram a few months ago was outstanding, what's changed... rumour I heard, he's on £37k a week, board have offered £19k to stay, his reps told them not to bother with another derisory offer.

If true, coincides with his form dip, and no player is going to risk injury if they are looking to move on.

Something has gone sour with him and I suspect it's got a lot to do with his contract.

On the face of his recent performances, he has chucked it and this has impacted the entire team.

If he's gone in the summer, then dump him from the squad and give Rice the development he needs.

The problem is not Lundstram ffs. The problem lies in creating chances. The problem is our dreadful set pieces. The problem is , unlike Lundstram, we have too many players incapable of passing the ball to a Rangers player. The problem is we don’t have a player capable of putting the ball in the net. The problem is we have no left back….. and so on and so on.

The problem lies in creating chances....

Yes as Lundstram dictates the tempo of the team to be playing at walking pace!

He's been with us for 3 seasons and outside of a purple patch in the first half of 2022 (mostly in Europe and the cup) and a few weeks earlier this season he's done little to merit a new deal. Worryingly the manager seems to rate him highly.

At points last night he was behind Souttar and Goldson. The driving force of the middle - behind our 2 CB. The guy is not the complete problem, but he is big part of it. He has purple patches, but outside that he is a hindrance when he plays. Like Barisic he is worse than a man down when he is on the park.

Really frustrating to see a senior player, who has shown he can command a match, not really show any fight when it matters.
But then the other senior players don't seem to have any bite either.

The current senior players are just too fragile minded for battle.

I would thank JL and allow him to move on.
Saving us £30k pw into the bargain, if the rumours are to be believed his wage caused a major rift when he arrived on free transfer.

Hopefully Clement (and the DOF) have had a rethink on Lundstram, he’s simply not good enough to be the main midfielder at Rangers. I fear we’ll give him a multi year deal on decent money.

Don’t think I can face another season of Tav, Goldson and Lundstram being our leaders.

Or some of us can see that our problems stem from more than just one player.
I would almost guarantee that not one of the hundreds of posters on FF, or the tens of thousands who attend Ibrox has said that all of our problems stem from one player.
Not one.

You get 6 decent games from him every season ( usually just after a new manager comes in). The reality is that he simply isn’t good enough. We need midfielders who can run a game and contribute with goals and sssists

I was almost a point a few weeks back that he could be our player of the season but f@ck me he’s back to his old ways and regressed so much

Said the same thing pretty much since he arrived/started getting a run in the team.

Regardless how his form has been this season, stylistically he is nowhere near the type of player I want in that position.

The reality is we have replaced Davis with Lundstram. Not exactly hard to see why that's an issue

This team seems to rise and fall with this guy. Rangers and Celtic teams are often as good as their best centre midfielder. Lundstram isnt good enough consistently. He goes through spells where he looks excellent. Then he does what hes done recently and hides. Standing on Goldson and Souttars toes to collect 2 yard passes. Then when the inevitable long ball breaks into the middle of the pitch, we are a man down in there because hes 40yrds away from play.

We dont need someone who wants to play safe when the chips are down.

He drops so deep as he doesn’t have the touch or awareness to take the ball in tight spaces or with back to goal..needs to be facing the play. Then, doesn’t have the necessary forward passing ability. Add to that a general positional weakness defensively and you only really have a guy that runs about..not good enough.

He's a coward. All his passes are cowardly.

He's not alone in our team with that.

Easy to find a Rangers player when most of your passes are back the way or sideways.

He rarely goes forward with the ball and will always look for the short/easy pass.

He doesn't have a fast enough brain, quick enough feet or a good enough first touch to play in that position

No contract
He can't dribble to save himself.

Championship level players will only take you so far.

Results like Betis away and Benfica away fool everyone into thinking that this lot are capable of delivering on a consistent basis.

We've been here before. And yet, here we are again. It's beyond tedious.

If Lundstram has chucked it because he isn't getting what he wants, he should be dropped, starting on Sunday.

Easy to find a Rangers player when most of your passes are back the way or sideways.

He rarely goes forward with the ball and will always look for the short/easy pass.
That’s his job!!! Ffs

He’s there to link up play.

I don't even consider £19k a week good value either tbh

I counted six touches, on several occasions, where after the sixth the ball hasn’t went forward and was basically in the same place as his first.

A master at 4/5 yard square passing. Stats look good but in reality just hiding in deep midfield.
Runs into space, gets it back. Starts the five yard pish again, runs into space gets it back.

Or.

Drops into a back three, meaning there is only one pinch point in midfield to receive a pass. Too dangerous. Ball shuffled wide invariably to Tavernier. If covered, back inside for the five yard pish all over again. Or, Tavernier goes on a mazy dribble, before a cross is played in to, invariably, no cnut.

The manager must shoulder some of this. It was practically identical in the darker times under Gio.

£30k p/w better off spent else where.

Had a purple patch against team we should be beating, done the square root of %^*& all in the big games

He's probably been decent in about a quarter of his games. When he was on his game he was great, but its all too rare.

Barry Ferguson used to get ripped for playing square balls all the time, Lundstram is plays square or back so much he'd be better of trying rugby.

We need players who will turn up every week. John Lundstram isnt one of them.

The biggest problem is lundstram.

his role should be to find the attacking players with passes and drive the team forward. He does neither.

The way he has strolled about the park the last two games is a complete embarrassment.

£30k p/w better off spent else where.

Had a purple patch against team we should be beating, done the square root of %^*& all in the big games
That's a tad unfair mate. He's put in some smashing performances in Europe - give him his due.

But, I can't recall a dominant, all conquering performance v the yahoos where, let's be honest, it really matters. Save for maybe his role in the 22 SC semi.

He never dominates Graeme Shinnie v Dolly either.

We need far better to be the lynchpin.

Back