Lyndon Dykes

Bermondsey Wall West

Official Ticketer
I know I’ll take a copious amount of shit from the FF Klopps and Guardiolas of whom we have many. But why not him as a back up or alternative striker in the summer?

Three reasons he shouldn't be signed:

Doesn't suit the way Gerrard wants to play.

Overtly physical style of play would lead to perpetual suspensions if he played in Royal Blue.

Livingston play as a counter-attacking unit, so he has lots of space to run into. He won't have that at RFC. On this point, see Jordan Jones.

You don't need to be Klopp to see these deficiencies.

Oh well, maybe I’ll post some stuff about the Tim’s as 20 of them a day seem to go down well. I suppose I was expecting the staunch posts. But who knows, perhaps an opinion or thought will flow. Is it half term in Scotland this week to?

Overtly physical style of play would lead to perpetual suspensions if he played in Royal Blue.

Livingston play as a counter-attacking unit, so he has lots of space to run into. He won't have that at RFC. On this point, see Jordan Jones.

Nailed it

Spot on.

I’d happily have him as backup , same people will slate you as they did before when people mentioned shankland , this snobbery of “ not rangers quality “ just because he plays in the spl is annoying , would have rather signed him than Kamberi tbh.

I’d happily have him as backup , same people will slate you as they did before when people mentioned shankland , this snobbery of “ not rangers quality “ is annoying , would have rather signed him than Kamberi tbh.
How is it snobbery? Most aren't good enough for the premier club in the country.

How is it snobbery? Most aren't good enough for the premier club in the country.
Many said the same in the past about Kamara or Novo just to name a couple. I’m just saying it’s harsh to write players off for the simple reason they play for another spl team.
Also it’s not like we are brimming with quality throughout our squad When we have players like Flanagan , Ojo , Barker etc.

He’s a good player that could be developed further, I think we are considering going for him in the summer.

Many said the same in the past about Kamara or Novo just to name a couple. I’m just saying it’s harsh to write players off for the simple reason they play for another spl team.
Also it’s not like we are brimming with quality throughout our squad When we have players like Flanagan , Ojo , Barker etc.
I didn't write him off frivolously. I stated three reasons I don't think he's a good fit.

I didn't write him off frivolously. I stated three reasons I don't think he's a good fit.
Yeah I never replied to you or said anything about your reasons , you replied to me , I was commenting on the people who write him off for no good reason just because he plays for livingston.

I’d happily have him as backup , same people will slate you as they did before when people mentioned shankland , this snobbery of “ not rangers quality “ just because he plays in the spl is annoying , would have rather signed him than Kamberi tbh.
Your are right about the snobbery of some when its the spl that's our bread n butter, I would like him as a different option/back up but from what little we have seen of Kamberi I am happy enough with him as back up, I also think that Kamberi would work well with Alfie in a 442

Your are right about the snobbery of some when its the spl that's our bread n butter, I would like him as a different option/back up but from what little we have seen of Kamberi I am happy enough with him as back up, I also think that Kamberi would work well with Alfie in a 442
meant more as a long term signing rather than loan deal I think Dykes has more potential , but would like to see Kamberi do well.

There are too many folk on here willing to just say 'hes shite' because he doesn't play with a fashionable team or get the headlines and the fact that most if not all of us on FF do not see 90 minutes of every game these players play in , they then pick n choose what they want to see.
For a small outlay I would take him as back up as he is young , he has proven that he can handle himself in the league , scores goals in it and knows how to put it past that lot and I don't think his wages would be very big, in the past we signed some 'stars' who really couldn't do any of that and were costing us a fortune

I would say he would be on par with the kamberi signing. From the last game he did look not bad. The goal he Scored against them too was a tidy and good finish. I wouldn’t be against signing him but would hope for a better player all around to replace Morelos when he leaves.

The OP must be a Mourinho because a Klopp or Guardiola don't sign a clogger like Dykes. Only joking, I just hate when people name call as if they are some tactically astute internet poster.

Dykes has caused Helander, Goldson and Katić problems but so have Brophy and Boyce - Dykes vs Helander at Tony Macaroni. Wasn't particularly impressed with Dykes last weekend, not sure he's got the technical ability to fit into a Gerrard side - hard to say? We are certainly going to need strikers in the summer, Morelos may be off and Defoe is pushing on. Replacement for Morelos, should he leave, must be of a similar or better standard and I'd prefer to see a second choice striker coming in with Defoe second/third choice.

No one's taken a stab at Lyndon Dykes, not even an English lower league side and tbh, I'd rather look beyond a Dykes, Shankland or Nisbett.

If Alfie goes? I hope he doesn’t we will have a fair chunk of cash to look for a replacement! Would hope for a better calibre of player than Dykes?

Dykes isn’t just a battering ram. He actually has good control, touch and tricky feet. It’s a myth that he’s a big bruiser. That’s deals with your first and second point. We also like to play on the counter attack, it actually suits us, so not sure about your last point.

People's opinions on Dykes is a good way of identifying who doesn't watch any football outside of Rangers.

I know I’ll take a copious amount of shit from the FF Klopps and Guardiolas of whom we have many. But why not him as a back up or alternative striker in the summer?

One thing I think we often forget when talking about this is the difference between playing every week as the focal point against making an impact from the bench or the odd start as a squad striker does.

We don't play a style which suits a player like Dykes, and he isn't at that level of experience where you'd be confident he could adapt to not playing every week and still be effective.

I ask this each time - what striker of that type has ever done well for us when they've been a third choice or option rather than the main man? I don't think any have.

What were you hoping for?

He’s just another SPL clogger mate

He's not though mate.

I agree he's very raw, but he's the quickest striker in the league, is very good in the air, (as Niko knows only too well) and has a very good 1st touch.

He's also got good technique, as we saw with the volley that hit the post.

He's certainly not the finished article, but he's got all the potential tools you'd want for a striker.

Not to mention the fact he comes from a Rangers leaning family too.

He's way more than just a clogger.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, he’s too one dimensional and this is in a way that doesn’t suit our game.
He‘s not a bad player but, he‘d need to develop more to be what we want.

Edit: Forgot to mention price.
I don’t think he’d be a cheap option, seven figures comfortably in the summer.

The few times I’ve watched him, I’ve actually been impressed with his technical ability and pace which I initially assumed were non existent. He holds the ball up well and for me is a much better footballer than the likes of Cosgrove or Doidge - who really are just big SPL hammer throwers that score a few goals.

It depends how much Livingston were looking for, but he’d be a good option to have and at 24, young enough to develop.

The OP must be a Mourinho because a Klopp or Guardiola don't sign a clogger like Dykes. Only joking, I just hate when people name call as if they are some tactically astute internet poster.

Dykes has caused Helander, Goldson and Katić problems but so have Brophy and Boyce - Dykes vs Helander at Tony Macaroni. Wasn't particularly impressed with Dykes last weekend, not sure he's got the technical ability to fit into a Gerrard side - hard to say? We are certainly going to need strikers in the summer, Morelos may be off and Defoe is pushing on. Replacement for Morelos, should he leave, must be of a similar or better standard and I'd prefer to see a second choice striker coming in with Defoe second/third choice.

No one's taken a stab at Lyndon Dykes, not even an English lower league side and tbh, I'd rather look beyond a Dykes, Shankland or Nisbett.

I thought he did pretty well in difficult conditions on Sunday mate, considering nobody really stood out.

He consistently beat Katic in the air and showed good pace to get in behind him a couple of times.

Nobody was showing any interest in Kamara either and he's turned out to be an excellent signing.

Remember, Dykes absolutely destroyed Julien and Ajer earlier this season too.

Whether or not he's the right fit for us is up for debate, but he's definitely a far better striker than many on here are suggesting.

He's not though mate.

I agree he's very raw, but he's the quickest striker in the league, is very good in the air, (as Niko knows only too well) and has a very good 1st touch.

He's also good good technique, as we saw with the volley that hit the post.

He's certainly not the finished article, but he's got all the potential tools you'd want for a striker.

Not to mention the fact he comes from a Rangers leaning family too.

He's way more than just a clogger.
He's 24, we can and will find far better technically and they'll more than likely be younger too.

He's a striker that's so far never reached double figures

Because he would move to Glasgow and try and shag the coaching staffs wives.
Look him up. He's a big chunt.
He was the reason a club legend left QOS.

I’d sign him as a third striker, I really rate him. I’m surprised Scotland haven’t tried to cap him before Australia does.

Back