Madjid bougherra

I genuinely think his actual ability as a centre half who could do the unfashionable stuff was overlooked because he was such a good player.

He wasn’t as good as an out and out defender as Cuellar or Weir possibly, but he was only very, very slightly off them but with the ball playing capability of a box to box midfielder.

Classy defender very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Good reader of the game game and a far better player than given credit for.

A really good player and a total credit to how good he was given he was bought as a replacement for Carlos

Holding the referees hand down was embarrassing and not behaviour befitting a Rangers player, particularly when he deserved to walk. We totally lost the heid that game and the indiscipline almost cost us the title. I’m sure Walter would have been raging as Davie Weir was.

Apart from that I liked him

Been going to game since the early 70s and I think he is the best CH I have seen play for Rangers.
He had everything in his game.

I always think of his part in the last minute Mo Edu goal game against them. The way he nicely controlled the ball on his chest from the corner kick before firing the ball in to begin the stramash in the 6 yard box

It was actually his attacking threat that made him so useful to us. In games where we are playing against team who are just sitting in and defending havin a cb who would dribble the ball down the wing or go on an underlappjng run caused chaos for the defensive team as they didn’t know who was supposed to pick him up.

Shefdield Utd get huge praise for their attacking cbs but bougherra was the real og.

I always think of his part in the last minute Mo Edu goal game against them. The way he nicely controlled the ball on his chest from the corner kick before firing the ball in to begin the stramash in the 6 yard box

The roar and the scenes of bedlam when that goal went in will live with me forever.

Loved it.

Bougherra was great for us. Lets not forget he was essentially the replacement for Cuellar who was an absolute colossus for us for a season. Bougherra more than matched the big man. Great defender and those lungbusting runs down the right hand side were fantastic.

That was the summer ourselves and tims were supposedly after Loovens. Remember the mhedia making a big thing about them “sneaking in and stealing Loovens”.

I’m convinced to to this day that was Walter playing them because I’m sure I remember Boogie being signed within a day of them unveiling Loovens.

Bougherra went to the World Cup and physically dominated Rooney and Heskey. A year later we punted him to some unknown mob for a grand fee of 1.5 million.

We've always been terrible at selling players when their value is at its highest. Morelos being the latest example.

The big fella really bought into what it meant to play for our club. always gave 100% and had skill in abundance :))

Read the game well, great on the ball and a quick burst of pace. A great defender for us for sure

Back