Main issue with Gio’s tactics

Every tactical genius on here was saying Gerrard and Beale didn't have a clue for using fullbacks as our main offensive outlet.

Then we were to herald the return of two wingers and away from the two 10s as that apparently killed all our attacking ability too.

The biggest issue with Gio's tactics is the midfield set-up is a disaster which doesn't allow us to control the game for what he wants to do. The gaps between our midfield are huge and not just last night, second half against Aberdeen was the exact same.

Teams are playing through and between our midfield with ease.
The signs were there as early as Hearts at Tynecastle, ok we won and made plenty chances to score more, but the way we dropped deep but still Hearts got plenty chances was concerning then.

All this talk about Gio and the tactics. How do we know he set us up to play like that, team selection suggests otherwise. He said in interview last week he didnt set them up to sit in the other away games we have had so to me the players aren’t following instructions. Last night they were cowards for use of a better word.

Was geo asleep when he was working with pep as this kind of football is the opposite of the kind of football pep likes to play, don't understand it.

100% , but some fans see these holding midfielders (deep lying play makers) as defensive midfielders and don’t see the attacking benefits it gives us!
When it's Lundstram it's a problem, because he can't pass and move.
When it's Jack and Kamara, and Davis last season, we build play through them. They keep the ball, the screen the defence. They are vital to how Gerrard had us play. GvB needs to learn quickly that we need them in there.

Playing 5 attacking 'luxury' type players and then expecting them to track back even remotely successfully is ludicrous. Its why when we played attacking under gerrard with the fullbacks flying we played with Jack and Kamara etc. They offer protection. Playing those players and asking them to do that job was hilariously naïve.

We are also losing the midfield battle in almost every game as a result. The disconnect between the from 5 and the back is huge.
Nail on the head mate.

We sat in and tried to defend deep. Aribo, our main creative midfielder was marking men on our 18 yard line, Diallo had no idea who he was meant to be tracking. I’ve no idea why Gio played Arfield further forward than Aribo initially.

When you watched a Gerrard team in tough games you could watch the midfield 3 and 2 number 10s shuffle across the pitch in unison closing the space. Our midfield 5 were all over the place last night. No defensive cohesion what so ever.

The Gerrard change came at the right time for me, I thought things were going stale, but Gio has taken us backwards tactically.

He has a massive decision and job on his hands and he needs to get it right and quickly.

I would argue the instruction given before hand plays a massive part in how players perform their job, otherwise what is the point in having a coach TBH.

We look a confused football team, which reflects in the players movement, thus how they connect and how they pass the ball.

There is no clear structure or pattern of play to what we look to be trying to achieve, and that isn't exclusive to last night, it is applicable in games we have won under Gio as well.
You've described Subuteo

You've described Subuteo

No bud, I have described football, that is why people employ coaches,... you know, to give players instruction, to work on their skill and ability and to then implement their vision.

We have just spent a pretty decent period of time watching these players quite competently win games of football, the evidence shows they can do that and generally in an effective fashion, that is starting to unravel since..... when.... when, when did that start to change and when did they start to look far slacker in what they are trying to achieve, since when.... oh aye.

On paper we are 4-3-3 but when you look at last night, it's two banks of five. Five defensive players and five attacking. The gap in the middle of the pitch was huge. We should have had a more pragmatic approach to the game. If we were going to allow them to attack, we should have started with Jack, Arfield and Kamara in the middle, or even Sands. Be more compact. My fear is that the manager is incapable or won't change tactics.
He's got big decisions to make now.

Nail on the head mate.

We sat in and tried to defend deep. Aribo, our main creative midfielder was marking men on our 18 yard line, Diallo had no idea who he was meant to be tracking. I’ve no idea why Gio played Arfield further forward than Aribo initially.

When you watched a Gerrard team in tough games you could watch the midfield 3 and 2 number 10s shuffle across the pitch in unison closing the space. Our midfield 5 were all over the place last night. No defensive cohesion what so ever.

The Gerrard change came at the right time for me, I thought things were going stale, but Gio has taken us backwards tactically.

He has a massive decision and job on his hands and he needs to get it right and quickly.
Without doubt mate. Playing the correct players only works if you play the tactics that suits those players.

You dont ask a guide dog to race greyhounds and you dont ask a greyhound to take someone across the road. Play the right players for the tactics. Never try and shoehorn one onto the other.

How can we go there with one sitting midfielder and 2 more forward thinking midfielders when you know they'll flood the midfield by bringing there fullbacks in for extra bodies,if Ryan Jack was fit for the bench he should have started and if you only get 60 minutes from him Davis was there to come on,you've got to win the midfield battle in these games or what happened last night is the norm.

How can we go there with one sitting midfielder and 2 more forward thinking midfielders when you know they'll flood the midfield by bringing there fullbacks in for extra bodies,if Ryan Jack was fit for the bench he should have started and if you only get 60 minutes from him Davis was there to come on,you've got to win the midfield battle in these games or what happened last night is the norm.
Literally every old firm fan knows you have to win the midfield to win the game. To set up to deliberately allow them the midfield was an absolute scandal.

Playing 5 attacking 'luxury' type players and then expecting them to track back even remotely successfully is ludicrous. Its why when we played attacking under gerrard with the fullbacks flying we played with Jack and Kamara etc. They offer protection. Playing those players and asking them to do that job was hilariously naïve.

We are also losing the midfield battle in almost every game as a result. The disconnect between the from 5 and the back is huge.
This is it.. jack/kamara would sit in.. now if we play with high wingers, the full backs should be coming inside, or mid fielders overlap/make runs... We do none of that and rely on the magic of the winger winning a 1v1..

It goes wide, team doubles up, and we channel it back.. Then recycle on the other side. It's a horrible style. You look at them and they're full backs are making runs inside in the channels. Cut us open!

This is it.. jack/kamara would sit in.. now if we play with high wingers, the full backs should be coming inside, or mid fielders overlap/make runs... We do none of that and rely on the magic of the winger winning a 1v1..

It goes wide, team doubles up, and we channel it back.. Then recycle on the other side. It's a horrible style. You look at them and they're full backs are making runs inside in the channels. Cut us open!
Yup. We ripped the pish out of postecolglu for the whole 'inverted fullbacks' thing. But, it turns out that if you want to have wingers (Jota and abada for them) then its exactly what you need your full backs to do. They are managing it with greg fucking taylor by christ.

Its not the strengths of our fullbacks however, so Gio better get his finger out and let them get back to doing what is.

Was geo asleep when he was working with pep as this kind of football is the opposite of the kind of football pep likes to play, don't understand it.
I'd really little idea of Gio's style, but had hoped that taking time to work and study Guardiola's style and methods would in some way rub off.

These days pressing opponents and winning the ball back quickly is a feature of many successful sides.

At our best with Gerrard we did it, not so much this season before leaving, to be honest if I was in Ross Wilson's position it is a feature of play I'd prefer to see woven within our DNA, all levels, irrespective of who comes and goes as manager.

I'd really little idea of Gio's style, but had hoped that taking time to work and study Guardiola's style and methods would in some way rub off.

These days pressing opponents and winning the ball back quickly is a feature of many successful sides.

At our best with Gerrard we did it, not so much this season before leaving, to be honest if I was in Ross Wilson's position it is a feature of play I'd prefer to see woven within our DNA, all levels, irrespective of who comes and goes as manager.

I miss the relentless pressing team as well mate, it was great to watch and when we were at our best.

I miss the relentless pressing team as well mate, it was great to watch and when we were at our best.
Totally agree, gets the fans out of their seat and creates great atmosphere too cheering a side who are intent on making things happen, rather than a team just waiting and seeing playing sideways and back just hoping something happens.

Strongly agree Blair.

We now don’t defend as a coherent & solid unit, and therefore our control of games has gone.

Our midfield has been a non event under gio. Considering he started as a CM it's concerning that he places so little interest in THE key area of the pitch

Back