Main issue with Gio’s tactics

mck1872

Official Ticketer
Having our two full backs pinned back when they’re biggest strength is attacking.

This for me is why we aren’t as good going forward, look at the difference in our performance 2nd half against Ross county when Tav was pushed right up the park, you can’t have your biggest creator in terms of assists not going beyond the half way line, it is absolutely criminal and something Gio and the coaching staff seriously need to reconsider.

Having our two full backs pinned back when they’re biggest strength is attacking.

This for me is why we aren’t as good going forward, look at the difference in our performance 2nd half against Ross county when Tav was pushed right up the park, you can’t have your biggest creator in terms of assists not going beyond the half way line, it is absolutely criminal and something Gio and the coaching staff seriously need to reconsider.
I had no issues.He had no tactics

This is in a nutshell. A really good manager plays to the strengths of his players.

Agree with this point. It's a major worry when Gio deploys wingers as our main attacking outlet without the help of fullbacks as they have to sit 15 yards further back than previous seasons in order to 'keep the zero' (that's 6 goals in 2 games btw, Gio). The previous seasons fullbacks numbers in terms of assists and goals speaks for themselves. But no. Gio has decided Scott Wright, Sakala, Kent and a young boy from Man Utd will just replace those numbers (despite evidence of that never happening).

Playing 5 attacking 'luxury' type players and then expecting them to track back even remotely successfully is ludicrous. Its why when we played attacking under gerrard with the fullbacks flying we played with Jack and Kamara etc. They offer protection. Playing those players and asking them to do that job was hilariously naïve.

We are also losing the midfield battle in almost every game as a result. The disconnect between the from 5 and the back is huge.

There pinned due to sticking the wingers right out on the touchline with the plan on giving them the ball to run at players. It has not worked and Tav and Barasic seem to have lost there way we need a different system and cannot play two wingers with the attacking full backs we have. Add to that the wingers we have need to be willing more to interchange position and track back.

They were both high enough up the park. Barisic kept going back the way and Tavernier couldn’t cross a ball.

That’s on them not the manager
If you can't cross a ball, you're dropped. It's really that simple. Captain or not, if basics of the game, are eluding you, sit it out.

Getting the full-backs higher up the pitch will be necessary for us in the remaining games. Getting Jack involved more should free up Tav at least. I don't think Borna is any good at all this season so I'd play Bassey at LB and he can't really cross, so a lot of responsibility will be on Tav

Getting the full-backs higher up the pitch will be necessary for us in the remaining games. Getting Jack involved more should free up Tav at least. I don't think Borna is any good at all this season so I'd play Bassey at LB and he can't really cross, so a lot of responsibility will be on Tav
Crossing aimlessly into one striker isn't a great plan anyway.
What Bassey can do is get 10 yards further forward and deliver from a more dangerous position, across the face of goal a bit more.

The team set up doesn't enhance the skillset of the players we have.

We spent 3 years building a side to play 4-3-3 with predominantly close, neat passing, isolating players and using our fullbacks and creating overloads.

We have switched to a formation and style of football that isn't marrying with the players we have, it's bawheided.

Our tactic now looks to be that of poor teams which is, hope a good player does something amazing rather than a process to build something amazing.

Is he even in the country? He's a completely unproven kid. I was more annoyed about Tavernier constantly playing when we had a better player on the bench.
We know what Tavernier gives us. Nothing defensively. Nothing. And his wings are clipped now for going forward. So he offers us absolutely nothing now. Time to move on. A captain, who was as much a rabbit in the headlights as Diallo last night.

Sin issue with his tactics is he didn't get them through to the players. Defence can't defend. Defensive midfield can't defend.

Hopefully Ryan Jack is the key to fixing that and allowing the fullbacks to get higher. If Gio still doesn't want them to, then he's going to find himself out of a job.
Or he will be given money in the summer for new FBs. One will at least go.

My biggest fear is and I hope that I’m completely wrong is that we slowly regress further and further away from the elite levels and DNA of Gerrard’s team. A bit like what happened with Lennon after taking over from Brendan Rodgers.

We are beginning to look really weak out of possession and that’s a massive concern. From an attacking point of view, I’m not seeing patterns of play, rhythm and a coherent structure. It seems to be to get the ball to the attacking players and hope that their individual quality comes through.

We know what Tavernier gives us. Nothing defensively. Nothing. And his wings are clipped now for going forward. So he offers us absolutely nothing now. Time to move on. A captain, who was as much a rabbit in the headlights as Diallo last night.
I am not a Tav fan. I wanted Patterson to play every week. My concern is that we don't have a replacement now. He definitely needs replaced properly in the summer, because he is not good enough and certainly not strong enough to be Rangers captain.

I’m being serious when I say it looked like our coaching staff hadn’t bothered to watch Celtic in games prior.

They didn’t spring any surprises last night but we were still bamboozled.

The team set up doesn't enhance the skillset of the players we have.

We spent 3 years building a side to play 4-3-3 with predominantly close, neat passing, isolating players and using our fullbacks and creating overloads.

We have switched to a formation and style of football that isn't marrying with the players we have, it's bawheided.

Our tactic now looks to be that of poor teams which is, hope a good player does something amazing rather than a process to build something amazing.
If the players can’t pass the ball to a team mate it doesn’t matter what instructions they get before the game.
The blame last night lies at the feet of the players.

The manager's tactics are the main problem and it should be the focus of the analysis from last night.

The 4-2-3-1 formation does not suit our full backs, Kamara looks lost playing as one of the two deep lying midfielders and Kent is better in the pitch a little rather than hugging the touchline - as is Roofe playing as a 10 rather than a 9.

Additionally, Morelos is the only player we have that can play up front on his own and when he is not here it really shows.

I don't know where to start with this garbadge, lure hysteria.

If the players can’t pass the ball to a team mate it doesn’t matter what instructions they get before the game.
The blame last night lies at the feet of the players.

That's such BS TBH,

The passing and skills have been getting worse by the week in all honesty.

We aren’t more solid defensively with the full backs sitting deep, we’ve just lost 6 goals in 2 games.

So we’ve sacrificed their attacking threat - for what?

Every tactical genius on here was saying Gerrard and Beale didn't have a clue for using fullbacks as our main offensive outlet.

Then we were to herald the return of two wingers and away from the two 10s as that apparently killed all our attacking ability too.

The biggest issue with Gio's tactics is the midfield set-up is a disaster which doesn't allow us to control the game for what he wants to do. The gaps between our midfield are huge and not just last night, second half against Aberdeen was the exact same.

Teams are playing through and between our midfield with ease.

We all knew that they were going to come flying out the blocks last night. A decision was clearly made that we were going to sit in and defend - that was apparent in the first 60 seconds. If thats what was decided we should have started with two holding midfielders.

Teams were playing a mid 5 first half of the season against us and our full backs were out the game. Borna is a bombscare and Tav’s delivery has been howling.

We’ve struggled for months with teams that do a high press on us
Agreed especially without Morelos, only one we have that is capable of holding the ball up for us

Not enough forward runners when teams press, and the midfield not showing enough balls

I’m being serious when I say it looked like our coaching staff hadn’t bothered to watch Celtic in games prior.

They didn’t spring any surprises last night but we were still bamboozled.
Yep. Someone posted on here on Tuesday that they thought Celtic would sit back for 60 minutes then push for a goal. I couldn't believe it, but maybe it was the manager all along.

He had no plan at all for what was obviously going to happen.

He has no plan for anything really, it seems to be a lot of Plan A (which is ineffective), and not much of anything else.

What Bassey can do is get 10 yards further forward and deliver from a more dangerous position, across the face of goal a bit more.
Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’ve always thought out and out wingers need to be in a 442. We don’t have classic wingers, that will run at players and then sling in a whipping cross, never mind have anyone capable of beating 2 CBs on their own to win a header.

Even if we had Harry Kane up front we don’t have “wingers” capable of playing that role in order to provide him with the required service.

They were both high enough up the park. Barisic kept going back the way and Tavernier couldn’t cross a ball.

That’s on them not the manager
Unless they are coached to turn back.
Feyenoord fans used to call Gio the horseshoe, because that's what his teams always done with the Valley across the backline, before usually going long.

Every tactical genius on here was saying Gerrard and Beale didn't have a clue for using fullbacks as our main offensive outlet.

Then we were to herald the return of two wingers and away from the two 10s as that apparently killed all our attacking ability too.

The biggest issue with Gio's tactics is the midfield set-up is a disaster which doesn't allow us to control the game for what he wants to do. The gaps between our midfield are huge and not just last night, second half against Aberdeen was the exact same.

Teams are playing through and between our midfield with ease.
We are all over the place in midfield. Last season we were good at attacking with width, and defending compact. No we seem to defend spread out, and attack bunched together.

It is brutal.

What tictac do you have to compensate for players not doing their job?

I would argue the instruction given before hand plays a massive part in how players perform their job, otherwise what is the point in having a coach TBH.

We look a confused football team, which reflects in the players movement, thus how they connect and how they pass the ball.

There is no clear structure or pattern of play to what we look to be trying to achieve, and that isn't exclusive to last night, it is applicable in games we have won under Gio as well.

People want attacking full backs and our front 4 to have freedom but they don’t want two proper midfielders! Control the midfield, win the battles and let everything else fall into place

Problem there is, Bassey isn't capable of delivering a dangerous ball.

We all knew that they were going to come flying out the blocks last night. A decision was clearly made that we were going to sit in and defend - that was apparent in the first 60 seconds. If thats what was decided we should have started with two holding midfielders.
The worst part of that is Gio said it was "surprising". Even us fans knew they would attack right from the off and that sitting deep while giving them space was playing into their hands.

People want attacking full backs and our front 4 to have freedom but they don’t want two proper midfielders! Control the midfield, win the battles and let everything else fall into place
We need two holding midfielders, especially against the decent teams away from home.

As mentioned above, the formation doesn't do the notion of attacking full-backs any good.

Saying that, neither Borna nor Tav were providing enough forward passes to their teammates in front of them -- either to them, or better, for them to run onto.
I'd honestly expected Tav to be knocking balls over the top for the pace of Diallo, but it didn't seem to happen.

I saw Borna try to whip a couple of those vicious dangerous crosses of his in, but he does have the tendency to take too long to cross the ball in, often easily being closed down.
(Something that our own defence can't seem to master btw ...)

Our midfield gets outnumbered and the defenders can't get forward.
When we do have the chance, we're often too slow in getting the ball upfield.
We often cross the ball in towards some invisible giraffe -- certainly not in for a solitary, non-giant Rangers forward.
We're back to several years ago when we were telegraphing every single fecking pass, allowing the opponents to intercept.

It basically comes down to the fact that if we're not using Tav and Borna as attacking full backs (being covered where appropriate), their deficiencies as defenders are made more obvious.
Simply put, neither are very good at defending.

We put out an attacking side to sit back and defend plus the fact we shat ourselves, got what we deserved and we're lucky it was only 3. Gio has to change his ways or they will start to pull away.

Never going to happen but would be relieved if GvB was sacked. It's quite obvious what is unfolding here, and the longer this goes on the more we will regress.

Reminds me of a more defensive and passive version of Lennon. What is he even working on with the players in training?

If we are going to play with only one up front it can only be with Morelos he is the only player we have who can hold up the ball, win free kicks and relieve a bit of pressure otherwise it just keeps coming back. Surely we have the ability within our squad to be able to adjust to a formation when Alfie is not there that will allow either 2 strikers or someone playing a lot closer to the striker to at least give him some support.

Hopefully Ryan Jack is the key to fixing that and allowing the fullbacks to get higher. If Gio still doesn't want them to, then he's going to find himself out of a job.
This only works when teams give up the wide areas, as soon as they are closed down they go back. They were closing us down with intensity and numbers. Only way to beat that is to move the ball very quick and offer option for tje Guy on e ball (not just backward options). Both FB got high up the park plenty yesterday, they just fluffed their lines. Barasic / Kent and Tav / dialo (sorry for spelling) were both trying to occupy the same space and made it so easy to Get marked. Their FB were not really high up the park cos they didn’t need to as their wingers were doing the business.

Back