Man. City Latest 'Big' Signing

jomacbe

Changed days in football since I started going.

Its the way the game, certainly at the highest level where the major money is, is going.

An algorithm will tell a club when to sell and when to buy a player in future.

There are generally agreed to be four different types of analytics that you can do in a data science space, getting harder to do over the piece (though they often overlap);
  1. Descriptive - Shit Happened
  2. Diagnostic - Why shit happened
  3. Predictive - Shit is likely to happen
  4. Prescriptive - Do this to avoid shit happening
You can see in press releases how we’re moving from 3-4 in some areas - the injury avoidance analytics we’re doing, some of the scouting set up using a blend of 2+3 to provide targets etc.

Set the foundation of programmes like this right and we’re an attractive place to come and work, mature in the space, and other clubs will have to spend massively on services that do similar to even match us.

City and the rest can and will pour millions in to build models independently and try to eke the extra 1/2% of game time out of an Aguero figure, or identify a Salah before anyone else and nab them. We can’t do the millions bit, but we can do the rest.

Pretty sure I saw it mentioned here last year that Rangers had job ads out for similar roles.

I was talking to a mate about how bad we are at throw ins, how we constantly lose the ball from them, he was saying that liverpool have a throw in coach and their stats regarding them went from near the bottom to 1st!

Its marginal gains, everything is looked at to get even just an extra 1% advantage over everyone else. 1% can be the difference to being successful or not. I'm all for it though I'd love to know what the science says about shooting from distance, we clearly don't do it enough and I'm wondering if that's because the data says it's least effective for getting goals.

I was talking to a mate about how bad we are at throw ins, how we constantly lose the ball from them, he was saying that liverpool have a throw in coach and their stats regarding them went from near the bottom to 1st!
This has annoyed me for years. Especially in European games it happens all the time and we lose the ball.

Good to see Rangers at the forefront.

The longer the other side stick with Lennon etc. the better.

It’s not that long ago we were laughing at dietetics, and how that would improve player performance, so I won’t poo hoo this.

Its marginal gains, everything is looked at to get even just an extra 1% advantage over everyone else. 1% can be the difference to being successful or not. I'm all for it though I'd love to know what the science says about shooting from distance, we clearly don't do it enough and I'm wondering if that's because the data says it's least effective for getting goals.

Brailsford the now shamed (ish) head of UK cycling was huge on marginal gains.

Take your own mattress travelling to sleep better

All the 1 per cents add up

Sports Science is well developed these days and its proving vital in order to become the best.

Changed days indeed from the old patter of you'll be fine and heres some deep heat and stop being a (insert homosexual jibe)

Data is the now the leading discipline in most things now, even outwith football.
Always remember the arsenal players moaning when Wenger waltzed in and changed everything regarding their mindset to the game.
Think hately mentioned it when he went to Monaco and Milan ad we'll.

You could spend all that money on the data analysis but how do you use data to mitigate against emails not getting through to the correct mailbox? Or useless bastards running the game into the ground?

Its the way the game, certainly at the highest level where the major money is, is going.

An algorithm will tell a club when to sell and when to buy a player in future.
Think we need to get this guy in as soon as possible

Al Gorithm is the man to take the pressure off Stevie G in the transfer market. Who is he with currently?

Rangers use a AI system first pioneered by Getafe which predicts soft tissue injuries and suggests changes to training loading - Zone 7.

Its already here.

So next time a yahoo goes on about Rangers injury "luck", there is nothing lucky about it.
Dundee United have a soft tissue injury prediction system as well. They predicted Morelos was going to get a soft tissue injury in his thigh and, what do you know, he did!

Football is changing, as with most other disciplines, to be data driven and informed. It can and will make a small difference to performance. That's why some of the ill informed guff you hear at the game really boils my piss. The short bye kicks thing is a case in point. Loads of posters on here saying it will cost us. It hasn't yet, it's led to some great goals, allows us to keep possession and every decent side in the world do it. Yet some think we'd be better shelling it to our smallish striker, marked by 2 huge centre halves.. Bizarre.

Jim MCLean at Dundee United introduced the warm down as a lot of players were getting injuries eg tight hamstrings a few days after a game.

Once they started doing the warm down after a game the number of injuries in relation to hamstrings decreased.

The days of a manager hauling the team in for a hard training session eg running as punishment after a crap result are long gone as it would do more harm than good to their bodies.

Jim MCLean at Dundee United introduced the warm down as a lot of players were getting injuries eg tight hamstrings a few days after a game.

Once they started doing the warm down after a game the number of injuries in relation to hamstrings decreased.

The days of a manager hauling the team in for a hard training session eg running as punishment after a crap result are long gone as it would do more harm than good to their bodies.
Something tells me this is still Lennons approach

When a thread came up here about ways to close the gap on their higher wage bill and greater buying power (less applicable now thanks to their incompetence), going balls deep on sports science and adopting an NFL aggressive stats approach was my answer.

One aspect I love about nfl is the idea you run a play that gets you anything from 1-2 yards at most but more importantly sets you up to run a very similar looking play later on and getting huge gains. The post about shooting less from distance because maybe that is the least effective way to score, you did see in a game at Ibrox earlier this year where Hagi and barker striking from outside the box was what led to our opening goal.

There is a Betfair video of Gerrard back at Liverpools training ground last year/2019 meeting the staff and Klopp.

They had a section with him in with the analysts and they talked about how he was the player in there the most whilst playing wanting to understand what he could do to get better results on the pitch.

Its clear you can see that we are picking up from there.

Liverpool early push into this can be traced back to Fenway sports and their exposure to data analytics with the Red Sox and the Moneyball story with the Oakland A's

I saw something mentioned in one of the mentally challenged bashing threads the other day - possibly Kerryfail - some injury-related intelligence method used at Rangers. Dunno of it was a poss take or not. At the time I was reading though, I didn't think it was. Any info?

Last edited:
I saw something mentioned in one of the mentally challenged bashing threads the other day - possibly Kerry failed - where some injury-related intelligence method used at Rangers was discussed. Dunno of it was a poss take or not. At the time I was reading though, I didn't think it was. Any info?
Yes, there was an piece about it in the Athletic late last year, the club are using Zone7 to produce risk- forecasting as regards player injury.

Funny enough, Tav took a quick long throw down the wing on Sunday against ‘Well almost catching them out. Something he used to do regularly in his earlier days

The edge of the box isn't distance and we do get a lot of shooting opportunities in this area.
However, we don't have players who want to shoot from this area.
Getting a clear view of the goal is usually impossible due to the number of bodies in front of it, but a hard low shot surely has the potential for going anywhere, and once it does the defenders are often put at a disadvantage.
This isn't an exact science but science can only do so much.

Back