Manchester UEFA Cup final 14th May 2008

Mreblue

16 years ago now since the cup final day in Manchester.

Mixed emotions, was an incredible experience.

man-rangers.jpg

Last edited:
While the build up to this was great, it was not a patch on the run up to Seville. Not sure why, maybe just too much going on with the league at the time, or a lack of belief that we could actually win it?

Even comparing the day of the final with 2022 is no contest. Everywhere in Manchester was rammed, could hardly find a spot to stand never mind get a drink from early afternoon onwards and I just felt an edgy vibe about the whole place. The locals didn't want us there and too many of our fans were off their faces by breakfast. Atmosphere in the stadium was too tense to be enjoyable, plus we were rotten.

Seville, up until the game kicked off, was one of the best days of my life.

That was a great trip, regardless of how things went.

My old man was part of the maintenance staff and there were only a few left at the time, maybe 7 or 8 guys, him, wee George the plumber, big George joiner, Picasso, and a couple of other boys. Staunch as you like and were buzzing to go down as part of the staff as that was part of the plan that they all went down on the staff buses and watch the game.

Martin Bain put paid to that about a week or so before it when he decided that Ibrox was to open up so no staff were to go down and that was a dagger to the heart of these guys. Dad asked me if I wanted his ticket to go down with the staff but it eas only one ticket and I had a deal with my pal that as we watched all the campaign together that we would go down together, ticket or not. I knocked it back, stupidly and went down on the day with my mate.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever better the sight when getting off that train at Piccadilly of seeing the full place ram packed with red white and blue, flute bands playing and the whole place absolutely buzzing. It was roasting outside and it was a glorious day. Stepping outside the station and you couldn’t see anything other than blue tops and people lining the whole street down to the Piccadilly square.

What a day, what an experience. Bumping into people you know everywhere, not a place sold booze anywhere apart from the M&S in the train station where the wee security guard was just letting folk walk out with whatever Shitey Belgian beer that was left in the shelves just to clear the shop and close it. Every pub rammed and closed to any more folk wanting in. We found a wee pub in a side street that was strangely empty, and it had a few Russian fans in and that was it so we stayed there for a couple with these great Russian guys as friendly as you like just enjoying the day out.

Ended up having to run along past the Arndale centre just to find a telly and thankfully one of the upmarket pubs had a big screen outside, just down from where the football museum is now, so we caught the second half and the rest is history really. After that the day went from heaven to hell but I wouldn’t change it for anything other than us winning the game.

Was so proud of us that day, a superb experience.

The night before the game was a brilliant night.

Morning of the game we were allowed into the ground to put the flags on the seats, and had a kick-about in the car park while we waited for the van to arrive! Imagine being allowed to do that these days?! It was an incredible experience being allowed to wander about inside the stadium on the day if the game.

Found a really nice bar for some lunch and a few civilised pints. Mid-afternoon we went to find some family and friends and while it was still good natured you could see where things were heading.

Decided to get the bus to the stadium early, and went for a few drinks at Mary D's and it was great.

Game was such an anti-climax, atmosphere was poor and we just didn't do ourself justice.

Long walk back to Old Trafford afterwards sobered us all up.

Was just thinking about that a few minutes ago.
Drove down on the day of the game, would have been at Southwaite services at this time on the day. Being honest I got a wee sense of foreboding when I saw all the empty cans and bottles in the car park and it had me thinking back to the trips south in the 70s.

Booked Swinton British Legion (5 mile outside Mancland).
Had a DJ & Flute band from Liverpool.

Had 9 52-79 seater busesew, a few mini-buses and walk ups etc in during the day and for game on big screen. Those of us with tkts got a taxi to stadium then we returned back after..We knew Manchester wasn't big enough ;)

But we were rank rotten
I disagree.

We played the game we had to play. The game was turning 2nd half, Davis off the line, Barrys penalty appeal.

Just as the atmosphere in the stadium changed, it was clear we were now in the game, we thought we could expand a bit, KT misses one in centre of pitch and they crucify us.

I disagree.

We played the game we had to play. The game was turning 2nd half, Davis off the line, Barrys penalty appeal.

Just as the atmosphere in the stadium changed, it was clear we were now in the game, we thought we could expand a bit, KT misses one in centre of pitch and they crucify us.
All about opinions my friend
I’m just of the view we just didn’t turn up

Was at the game and have never watched it back.

Got digs in Blackpool, great night in the jaggy thistle the night before. Train station at Blackpool was bouncing the next morning going through to Manchester. Spent the day in Piccadilly Square and could tell as the afternoon went on they were letting too many people in as it was getting tighter and tighter. Left about 5 to head over to the stadium and didn’t know anything about the trouble til we got back to the train station. A 6 hour wait in a queue for a train at 4am when I’d booked tickets for a train at the back of 1.

Whole organisation was a shambles.

The only game ever had against Walter style of play I know Zenit were technically better but tried to win by the way we got there rather we had a right go get beat you get beat

Never watched it back again and won't.Great day until the screens stopped and all the shite that followed.Ended up watching it on pishy we portable TV in the Sports Bar in Manchester train station.
Similar story for me, I ended up in Middleton watching the game in a pub, I purchased the DVD of the final but I've never taken it out the wrapping.

Great day out until the screens packed up. Spent about 3 hours waiting in a queue for a taxi back to hotel. Haven't watched the final and never will.

Will never forget the night before.

On the day I woke up in a hotel stairway - id made it to the correct building but getting as far as the room was a hurdle too far - and it was one tortuous long hangover

We were never ditching the tactics that got us to the final in the final itself.

Was devastated after the match. Long bus journey home.

A team of winners led by the great man. Could and should have been the greatest modern season in our history, the treble and a European final. But we were punished for being successful. Zenit were far too good for us even if we weren't going to the wall every week

Can remember the place a wild night was had on the Tuesday - Norwegian Blue it was called - looks to be long gone now

Great day at the FF do in the Ritz. March to ground was good then it was all a bit meh

Carlos Cuellar, the Rangers centre half.
What a player in his day. Funnily enough I will be seeing him coach on Saturday. My mates lad is playing for Lorca against his Murcia team in the playoff so we are heading over for the weekend. If anyone is in the Murcia region it's only €10 on the gate

16 years ago now since the cup final day in Manchester.

Mixed emotions, was an incredible experience.

man-rangers.jpg
Perhaps it’s the recency of Seville but I always look back much more fondly on the Manchester run. Every time I watch that Novo penalty, every time I hear that Foo Fighters song. Goosebumps. I’ll likely say the same about Seville in 16 years.

We were clearly exhausted, we struggled to put away Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup final never mind a fresh, souped up Russian outfit who'd smashed Bayern to get there.

I had one of the best days of my life, the journey down with friends and family, the sheer excitement building, the FF bash at the Ritz, bagging a ticket and hospitality at 4pm in the afternoon, walking to the ground knowing I was seeing my club in a European final.

Incredible day, the result and the aftermath soured it of course.

I was the designated driver for my brother and my nephew as my brother broke his arm a month before. It was a fantastic day, and I have said this before, but the people in the crowd at the Euro stand were superb. I had to take my nephew from one side to the other and everyone I passed with him in front of me said “mind the wee man, keep a tight hold son.” The crowd was shoulder to shoulder and yet they made space for us to get through, no bumping or barging, just folk making space. I met John Greig waiting on his transport to the final. He shook my hand, I was made up, I was 46 years old!!
Then we watched it in the team hotel, as my brother is friends with the manager. Dr. Fox the DJ watched the first half with us, and was cheering us on. He was decent company to be fair. Then the hotel manager pulled a favour and got us a cab back to my car. A poor result, but a truly great day.

Dead on our feet because our SFA totally shat on us.
This was our May that year

1st May - Fiorentina A
4th May - Hibs A
7th May - Motherwell H
10th May - Dundee United H
14th May - Zenit
17th May - Motherwell A
19th May - St Mirren A (A Monday!)
22nd May - Aberdeen A (Last league game - on a Thursday)
24th May - QotS

9 games in 24 days. A complete and utter disgrace.

got a ticket for the final before we had even played the quarter final through the uefa ballot and as it was only Manchester, decided to go anyway and booked a city centre hotel before prices got silly.

Ended up gong on the Tuesday and arriving at teatime, Manchester was a sea of blue

Day of game ended up walking around the city centre and getting a pint wherever we could before going to the game.

We played poorly but it was the first time i had seen us play in a europena final and lost to the better team.

Perhaps it’s the recency of Seville but I always look back much more fondly on the Manchester run. Every time I watch that Novo penalty, every time I hear that Foo Fighters song. Goosebumps. I’ll likely say the same about Seville in 16 years.
Went to so many away Euro games that Manchester season from the CL qualifiers in Montenegro and Belgrade, CL in Barca and Lyon etc and then Athens, Bremen, Lisbon, Florence and Manchester. Cost me and everyone a bloody fortune. The UEFA away games were a mixed bag. Florence amazing despite a poor game. Lisbon decent. Athens a wee bit lucky and Bremen we were rotten but got job done.

Thinking to Seville, we were horseshit in Braga and not brilliant in Liepzig but could have drawn there. The narrow loss.probably made the Ibrox return leg all the more amazing.

Seville was really nice. Weather, food etc despite the rip off prices to get there and the stadium being woeful in some ways but we could and perhaps should have won.

I think over the piece we deserve fully to be in Seville even more so than Manchester where we were good some ties and rose our luck a wee bit in northern and didn't play entertaining stuff, not that I gave a stuff whilst in the ground in Florence :)

I remember thinking the more the game went on the more we were going to mug them off on the break. I remember watching them score directly in front of my seat and being absolutely shocked even though it was coming!

The only game ever had against Walter style of play I know Zenit were technically better but tried to win by the way we got there rather we had a right go get beat you get beat

We played the final the same way we played every other round. 10 men behind the ball and try and hit them on the break.

We had a decent spell in the second half and then they killed the game off. I've never watched highlights of it and never will.

Back