Maradona hanging out of the Glasgow Central Hotel looking up Hope Street in 1979.

mdingwall

Administrator
Maradona-hanging-out-of-the-Glasgow-Central-Hotel-looking-up-Hope-Street-in-1979.jpg

was at hampden that day,the scottish fans turned agaibst our team towards the end of the game and started chanting for argentina, the previous saturday we had lost 3-1 at wembley,

Remember Arthur Graham scoring Scotlands goal and giving a "get it up you" gesture to the fans in the Rangers end who were chanting "Argentina" over and over.
Luque was superb as was Maradona but don't remember Kempes playing?

Remember Arthur Graham scoring Scotlands goal and giving a "get it up you" gesture to the fans in the Rangers end who were chanting "Argentina" over and over.
Luque was superb as was Maradona but don't remember Kempes playing?
aye we scored pretty late in the game,there had been a bit of publicity about maradona leading up to this game ,and that day we certainly saw he was going to be something really special,that Argentinian team were miles in front of us that day ,in movement ,speed of thought and control ,a fabulous watch they were

I was there that day. I don’t think the Scottish fans turned against their team; everyone around me was simply in awe at the quality of football on display and being true football fans we applauded the Argentinians. The greatest team I have ever seen live and it was a privilege to have been there.

Fantastic team, it was men against boys that day and Argentina were brilliant to watch. If memory serves me right there was a transport strike the same day and we had to walk back to the city Centre after the game.....or am I getting mixed up with another game?

Argentina were on a completely different level that day, and could easily have gone up another couple of gears if needed.

Just looked up the Scotland team that day. Seems to be missing many of the 78 World cup regulars for some reason :rolleyes: .

Rough
Burley
I Munro
Narey
Hegarty
Hansen
McGarvey
Wark
Dalglish
Hartford
Graham

Att - 61,918.

Was at that game, glorious sunny afternoon in the North Enclosure. Could only have been a few weeks between that game and Coop’s Drybrough Cup Final, so glad I went to both of them.

Alan Hanson was asked who was the best player he ever played against and said Maradona in that game. It was a friendly and he was 18 but still the best

Back