Marc Leonard suggested signing from Northampton

Northampton Lodger

I love honking my horn
I seen something locally where Marc Leonard currently on loan from Brighton was being touted for Rangers and Celtic by the NTFC manager.

He said he was too good for them to retain and lots of championship clubs were looking at him. He had said he thought Rangers and Celtic should be looking at him as he a Scottish under 21.

He was at Rangers briefly as a youth player then Hearts and on to Brighton.

I haven’t been to many games this season so can’t add inside info.

Shouldn’t the title read ‘from Brighton’?

You’ll have posters foaming at the mouth about signing players from the English lower leagues.
Never really understood that attitude as one of celtics best players came from there and there are good players in those leagues.
As for this lad haven't seen him but with him being Scottish there is no harm in having a peek.

Never really understood that attitude as one of celtics best players came from there and there are good players in those leagues.
As for this lad haven't seen him but with him being Scottish there is no harm in having a peek.
I agree with you. He’s still a Brighton player though :D

Our issue is that we have way more than one or two of these types on huge contracts.

If we're signing players from these divisions they should fit a certain profile.

Lawrence and Dowell etc, no thanks.

Young lad looks like a player and gets very good reviews from Northampton fans.

Would be qualify as home grown? I don’t really understand the rules around that.

I think the attitude comes from the fairly significant number of 'underwhelming' (I'm being kind) signings we've made from those leagues in recent years. I'm sure there are some real gems, but not many who will significantly improve us. The PL clubs will hoover up any genuine quality very quickly.

Watkins and Toney both played at that level and will likely both be off to Germany in the summer with England. It’s a league well worth scouting if we could find a young player with a high ceiling.

wtf does Spock's dad know about football?

NGM5OWViYjQtNmIzMy00MWU4LTlkNjItNjA0MDE1MjZlZDQ0_sarek_hd_030.jpeg.jpgitokxurrmixi

I think the attitude comes from the fairly significant number of 'underwhelming' (I'm being kind) signings we've made from those leagues in recent years. I'm sure there are some real gems, but not many who will significantly improve us. The PL clubs will hoover up any genuine quality very quickly.

James Tavernier?

James Tavernier?
Like I said, I'm sure there are some gems, but not many. Tavernier has certainly been a positive. I could give you a very much longer list on the minus side. The post I was replying to said it was difficult to understand why there was negativity from fans to that market. I suggested there are very valid reasons.

Like I said, I'm sure there are some gems, but not many. Tavernier has certainly been a positive. I could give you a very much longer list on the minus side. The post I was replying to said it was difficult to understand why there was negativity from fans to that market. I suggested there are very valid reasons.

I agree with you, plenty fail to make the grade - was merely pointing out that there are good players there waiting to be unearthed, not a dig mate.

Watkins and Toney both played at that level and will likely both be off to Germany in the summer with England. It’s a league well worth scouting if we could find a young player with a high ceiling.
Probably posted this before.

Was getting a carpet layed and must have had some football stuff kicking about . Carpet fitter said you will know my mate Ivan Toney. I said no. My 10 year old son said he is brilliant on FIFA. Suddenly I was cut out the conversation. Turns out the carpet fitters mate was decent :))

He’s a good player and has already played in the first team for De Zebri and I am sure captained the under 21 side. Been a standout performer in league 1 and 2 at a young age, in what are physical leagues.

Reportedly 300k is being quoted in press as a year left on his deal. If that’s the case, may be worth a gamble….

Was very highly rated at youth level, alongside Billy Gilmour.

He’s a good player and has already played in the first team for De Zebri and I am sure captained the under 21 side. Been a standout performer in league 1 and 2 at a young age, in what are physical leagues.

Reportedly 300k is being quoted in press as a year left on his deal. If that’s the case, may be worth a gamble….

Cracking post, ties in with what the Northampton manager wa saying in admitting he is too good for them.

Never mind them, Aribo signed from there, got us one of the best fees in recent times.

Our issue is that we have way more than one or two of these types on huge contracts.

If we're signing players from these divisions they should fit a certain profile.

Lawrence and Dowell etc, no thanks.
Not comparable though, Lawrence older player on a lot of £ , Dowell sicknote at Norwich should never have been signed.
Young players between 19-23 is a different matter.

Not played first team for De Zebri yet, started two cup games for Potter in 2021.

He was considered the best Hearts youth player since Craig Gordon before his old man took him away from the team he supported to move down South. Heard he was doing fantastic for the cobblers but not sure if he would be at our level yet.

I agree with you, plenty fail to make the grade - was merely pointing out that there are good players there waiting to be unearthed, not a dig mate.
Not a problem mate. Agree there are good players. Just saying our record of buying players from that market over the past few years means supporters are justified in being a bit wary.

Was rated no where near as high as Gilmour considering we released him at 14

He is a good player tho and statistically was the most similar footballer to Moises caicedo when Brighton were looking for a replacement

Young lad looks like a player and gets very good reviews from Northampton fans.

Would be qualify as home grown? I don’t really understand the rules around that.

No he would miss out on that by a year he left Hearts at 17 the qualifying period starts when they're 15 and ends when they turn 21 but need to do 3 consecutive years or a period of 3 years in the same association.

No he would miss out on that by a year he left Hearts at 17 the qualifying period starts when they're 15 and ends when they turn 21 but need to do 3 consecutive years or a period of 3 years in the same association.
Thought that might be the case, cheers mate.

Back