Mario Jardel

dookieno8

On this day was paraded in the 4-0 win at home to Raith Rovers. (1996-01-13)

Now we know it's a case of "what could have been" and we didn't get him due to work permit issues.

If that were to potentially happen today (not that i'd think we'd have a problem getting a WP for him anyway), we would sign the player and then loan him out until we got a work permit.

Anyone know why this wasn't explored or couldn't be done?

I'm a bit too young to know the answer... :p

10051843.jpg

10 work permits non eu were available at the time. Think East Fife signed a player which meant the threshold had been reached.

Read his wiki which says that he was very fond of cocaine and his club doctor was aware... that's quite the admission!

Read his wiki which says that he was very fond of cocaine and his club doctor was aware... that's quite the admission!
I watched a documentary in Brazil about him. He was a coke addict at one point he said. I recall he said it was when his missus left him. No wonder.

I think we dodged a bullet on that one. Sir Walter was heard to say that on his trial he couldnt hit a barn door from 5 yards. Think he turned out to be a cart horse and the work permit was a means of saving face

I think we dodged a bullet on that one. Sir Walter was heard to say that on his trial he couldnt hit a barn door from 5 yards. Think he turned out to be a cart horse and the work permit was a means of saving face
He was banging the goals in from 1996 until 2002, when he split from his Mrs and went off the rails. He would have done brilliantly for us. He also scored against us for Galatasaray in the Champions League

He had a broken toe when he was (briefly) with us apparently, he never disclosed this.

He was of course sensational after this, tearing it apart with Porto.

Was there a story that he had a broken foot at the time but didn’t let on?

I suppose there was a few stories going around at the time. One was that he had a bit of broken glass in his foot but just carried on training and not surprisingly didn’t shine. Would have been a wonderful signing if we had got him though.

I wouldn't say so, in the seasons following his failed signing he bagged 130 league goals in 125 games for Porto, not exactly the mark of a cart horse! Who knows what went on.

For context, for the youths

8 months later he is doing this to almost yearly Champions League winners AC Milan

All because of East Fife

Longer highlights

Ultimate case of what might have been. It's up there with Mols getting injured and never coming back the same player.

what a finisher he was with porto and galatasaray , im sure he did ok at sporting too but his career went downhill very quickly

Karen is an estate agent in Portugal now if anyone wants to give her a call......

Strangely enough, I’m sure Erik Bo Andersen also became an estate agent in Horsens, Denmark. I think he was, or still is, a local councillor too. I do know for sure he is a ginger bastard.

I asked Walter about this at a doo a few year ago, it’s true he was terrible in training.

However they later found out he had stood on a big bit of glass few days previous. Scared that we would cancel the trial he didn’t tell anyone.

We would of signed him if he got a work permit and I genuinely believe we’d of won something in Europe if he did. Phenomenal goalscoring record in Portugal and Turkey.

Except he didn't did he? The immediate years after we let him slip through our fkn fingers he was the most prolific striker in European football, you know the kind that makes all the difference! He was almost unstoppable in the air. An absolute fkn travesty, he would have been dynamite for Rangers. Dodged a bullet? Think not.

There was so little to critisise Walter Smith for during his tenure as Rangers manager. His man management , his ability to spot , motivate and extract the very best from quality players. He also conducted himself at all times with distinction and dignity befitting of our great institution...........Then there was the decision to let Mario Jardel leave Ibrox without signing a contract. Sorry Wattie but that Still irks me to this day

Except he didn't did he? The immediate years after we let him slip through our fkn fingers he was the most prolific striker in European football, you know the kind that makes all the difference! He was almost unstoppable in the air. An absolute fkn travesty, he would have been dynamite for Rangers. Dodged a bullet? Think not.
Aye Walter Smith was wrong.

There was so little to critisise Walter Smith for during his tenure as Rangers manager. His man management , his ability to spot , motivate and extract the very best from quality players. He also conducted himself at all times with distinction and dignity befitting of our great institution...........Then there was the decision to let Mario Jardel leave Ibrox without signing a contract. Sorry Wattie but that Still irks me to this day

What? Thought it was the fact he didn't get a work permit that stopped him signing. Nothing to do with Walter.

We’d have probably went on to win 12IAR if we’d signed Jardel.

Was it Jardel that Archie Knox stated he couldn't trap a bag of cement?
The story I heard was that it was some of the players. The story did do the rounds that he had some glass in his foot. He would have done well for us ,he did not go off the rails till much later. A think he was a Negri style if player , goalscorer but not so much a team player

I actually think there's a lot to critise Walter for in his first spell.

The amount of money we spent we should've been in the best 5 teams in Europe.

He constructed a group of individuals.

Second time around was nothing short of remarkable what he achieved.

Back