Mario Jardel

For context, for the youths

8 months later he is doing this to almost yearly Champions League winners AC Milan

All because of East Fife

Longer highlights

Jesus, never thought I’d ever utter or type these words, but look at Maldini getting skinned by the wee guy who scored the equaliser!!

I actually think there's a lot to critise Walter for in his first spell.

The amount of money we spent we should've been in the best 5 teams in Europe.

He constructed a group of individuals.

Second time around was nothing short of remarkable what he achieved.

The top 5 in Europe?

Surely need to give that statement a bit more thought.

Regardless of the individuals assembled, to attain that status we would have to have been competing at an elite level week in week out. You're not going to get that in the spl now are you? Yes our European progress never quite justified the financial outlay but top 5?......Come on!

What? Thought it was the fact he didn't get a work permit that stopped him signing. Nothing to do with Walter.

Not sure if serious or not but for the avoidance of doubt......it's widely assumed that after a few training sessions the management just never fancied him!

Karen is an estate agent in Portugal now if anyone wants to give her a call......

A_d1219023aa77460381898aedeaeb45f8_iList.jpg

Get it gazumped.

The top 5 in Europe?

Surely need to give that statement a bit more thought.

Regardless of the individuals assembled, to attain that status we would have to have been competing at an elite level week in week out. You're not going to get that in the spl now are you? Yes our European progress never quite justified the financial outlay but top 5?......Come on!
It's not really, the standard of football wasn't that great outwith probably the Italian league. There was no reason why we couldn't have regularly competed with the best.

If we were the fittest and strongest we probably would've stood a chance. Post 94 there's questions on whether we were that in our league alone. We won titles based on pure individual talent hence the reason why players like Laudrup and Gascoigne are at legendary status.

Our spend was certainly close to the higher echelons of Europe. Think I read somewhere our wage spend in 99/00 was higher than Man U's treble winning side (Advocaat I know).

We certainly didn't get anywhere near what we should have done for our money.

He was some size when he rocked up at Bolton - surprised he passed his medical tbh, only 28/29 at the time as well. Bad knee injury ruined him, his fitness had gone by then.

It's not really, the standard of football wasn't that great outwith probably the Italian league. There was no reason why we couldn't have regularly competed with the best.

If we were the fittest and strongest we probably would've stood a chance. Post 94 there's questions on whether we were that in our league alone. We won titles based on pure individual talent hence the reason why players like Laudrup and Gascoigne are at legendary status.

Our spend was certainly close to the higher echelons of Europe. Think I read somewhere our wage spend in 99/00 was higher than Man U's treble winning side (Advocaat I know).

We certainly didn't get anywhere near what we should have done for our money.

Agree with your last sentence but to say Rangers should have been able to go shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Madrid , Barca, Bayern etc let alone the Italians is just plain delusional. These teams were tested weekly in their respective leagues by rivals who were vastly superior technically than what was on was on offer in Scotland at that time. You can't just switch it on and off. To get to that top 5 level you need real sustained competition, certainly not limited to 4 competitive games a season.

Agree with your last sentence but to say Rangers should have been able to go shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Madrid , Barca, Bayern etc let alone the Italians is just plain delusional. These teams were tested weekly in their respective leagues by rivals who were vastly superior technically than what was on was on offer in Scotland at that time. You can't just switch it on and off. To get to that top 5 level you need real sustained competition, certainly not limited to 4 competitive games a season.
Mid 90's the Spanish teams weren't as formidable as they are now, neither were the likes of Bayern Munich, huge names not particularly great sides and they certainly didn't have the investments they had until the late 90's early 00's. It was the Italian teams particularly Milan and Juventus who benefitted most from the early influx of sponsorship money.

There's no reason we couldn't have had the success of Ajax or Dortmund who produced very good sides.

The four years we should have done better than we did

Our performance in these four campaigns was nothing short of embarrassing.

Take a look at our squad for these campaigns, particularly for the 3 foreigner rule which was scrapped in the 96-97 season, we should have been doing a lot better.

Mid 90's the Spanish teams weren't as formidable as they are now, neither were the likes of Bayern Munich, huge names not particularly great sides and they certainly didn't have the investments they had until the late 90's early 00's. It was the Italian teams particularly Milan and Juventus who benefitted most from the early influx of sponsorship money.

There's no reason we couldn't have had the success of Ajax or Dortmund who produced very good sides.

You've made my point for me. Both examples , Dotmund and Ajax were playing in superior technical leagues with a far greater emphasis on passing and basic skills. Our team of that time had to deal more with the physical demands of the spl first and foremost in order to get results and hence the reason we struggled to make the step up on European nights. I say it again no matter what names you have you can't just switch it on like a light switch. The British style was left behind in that era and European teams found it relatively easy to exploit the nativity of our game. For what it's worth thats my reasoning anyway.

Back