Mark Allen

WATP

Couldn’t help but think today that the Allen story of him wanting to head homewards was nonsense and that maybe he was just found out in his role!

Watching Barker today and I seriously do wonder what on earth that lad is doing in a Rangers jersey.....does anyone know the true story with Allen.....did he leave or was that a convenient story with an NDA attached to it?

Couldn’t help but think today that the Allen story of him wanting to head homewards was nonsense and that maybe he was just found out in his role!

Watching Barker today and I seriously do wonder what on earth that lad is doing in a Rangers jersey.....does anyone know the true story with Allen.....did he leave or was that a convenient story with an NDA attached to it?
Reading between the lines and the narrative since he was pushed out due to (mainly) not being able to move players on for a fee/without a pay off. His recruitment did seem lazy at times.

This kind of thinking makes no sense.
Recruitment was part of MA's remit. However, he didn't scout. His role involved managing recruitment.
Both SG and Stewart Robertson described Mark's departure as a surprise. SG said on a few occasions Mark was a rock for him.
I'd say he left for exactly the reasons given.

This kind of thinking makes no sense.
Recruitment was part of MA's remit. However, he didn't scout. His role involved managing recruitment.
Both SG and Stewart Robertson described Mark's departure as a surprise. SG said on a few occasions Mark was a rock for him.
I'd say he left for exactly the reasons given.

Nemane and Barker came through at City under Allen.

He might have been wholly behind some flop signings, but it's lazy to blame him for any failed signings and give Gerrard credit for the good ones.

The fact is all signings have to be approved by the manager, and his whole coaching staff talked up Barker when he just arrived. I also don't think he should be labelled as a flop just yet, he's young and needs a run of games. He should go out on loan and see if he can add an end product.

Allen's biggest problem was obviously not being able to find buyers for players and being involved in so many pay-offs. We don't have to rip it up and start again anytime soon, so Ross Wilson is already going to be looked upon more favourably with regards to transfers as there'll be fewer players coming in.

For where we were, Allen did a very good job in just two years to overhaul our whole backroom and scouting system, improve the academy markedly, get in Gerrard and his staff, and deserves credit for indirectly attracting a higher quality of player, many of whom (Barisic, Katic, Kamara, Aribo etc.) will go for far more than we bought them for. Overall, his recruitment will be profitable in terms of fees paid versus received.

I honestly don't know any truths here.
Recruitment seems to be decent, after all, we have a side that is competing for the title without the wages or the squad investment or indeed the luxurious period of the sustained team building enjoyed by our main rivals.
However, I know that Steven Gerrard is the final say in how the squad is shaping up, how it is coached and how it is motivated and shaped for a matchday.
At least in this I know the truth, I can understand what is before me, and I can take huge solace and confidence that this is what really matters at the bottom line. o_O

Absolutely astonishing to see people slate MA while talking about how much we have improved. Do you ever get the feeling on here that some people don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Where have I slated Allen? Literally said I think Wilson is a massive upgrade which is to be expected from a DOF coming from the EPL.

Every signing we've made with SG was under this guy. We've improved immeasurably so give him his due. The new guy hasn't made a signing yet.

Not having a go mate but if you think Barker isn't fit for the jersey, why isn't your criticism aimed at the scouts that recommended him?

I imagine MA's role was pretty stressful and not the average 9-5. It seems entirely natural for someone to grow tired of that and choose to spend more time with his family after a few years of that commitment, I'd certainly do it if I could afford it.

There's not always a conspiracy surrounding every detail of Scottish Football, although it sometimes feels like it reading FF.

I already called you out directly on your "few decent signings" nonsense. Our team and management team and youth structure was built entirely under him. So credit where credit is due.
Allen done decent for us. He directly got us Kamara, Aribo, Jones as well as some- arguably- dross, Barker (still time to prove me wrong), King, Nemane and Grezda. You also never directly called me out on decent signing statement otherwise you would’ve tagged/quoted me. Sorry for not saying he was incredible for us

The thing is that Barker was selected by Gerrard and the coaching team to travel out to Dubai.

He must have something to offer.

People have short memories. Mark Allen laud the foundations for what we have now. Even if we have got somewhere better it won’t matter a thing if we can’t win anything it’s as simple as that, not saying we can’t but that’s the main goal more than ever now.

The latest article in the Athletic suggests that Mark Allen being unable to find a buyer for players that were surplus to requirements was a source of frustration for the board.

Allen done decent for us. He directly got us Kamara, Aribo, Jones as well as some- arguably- dross, Barker (still time to prove me wrong), King, Nemane and Grezda. You also never directly called me out on decent signing statement otherwise you would’ve tagged/quoted me. Sorry for not saying he was incredible for us
Look through the thread you'll see that I did.

To put MA time down to a "few decent signings" is bordering on mental.

There is always gonna be some bad signings when the turnover is so high but he done an extraordinary job and we wouldn't be where we are, have the team we have, have the best youths set up in the country nor have Stevie G as manager without him.

So more than decent and more than a few decent signings.

Decent? :rolleyes: More like a miracle.

Look through the thread you'll see that I did.

To put MA time down to a "few decent signings" is bordering on mental.

There is always gonna be some bad signings when the turnover is so high but he done an extraordinary job and we wouldn't be where we are, have the team we have, have the best youths set up in the country nor have Stevie G as manager without him.

So more than decent and more than a few decent signings.

Decent? :rolleyes: More like a miracle.
I’ve acknowledged he has revitalised our scouting, youth etc. I think he was somewhere in the middle between decent and good.

I don't understand this thread. The guy turned up at Rangers when the club had no structure. He put the structure in place. He made all the same signings as SG, every one of them.

The guy deserves a medal if we win the league.
Hard to believe mate :)) :rolleyes:

If we do win the league I hope he does get a medal. He deserves one.

I’ve acknowledged he has revitalised our scouting, youth etc. I think he was somewhere in the middle between decent and good.
You do realise that it was his idea to sign Stevie G? Decent to good now. You're a hard man to please.

He done an extraordinary job. No doubt about that.

No one even knows exactly who wanted who, but what we do know is Gerrard gets the final say in ALL signings.

The pattern is that any signings that didn’t work are lazily attributed to Allen, and those which do work are given to Gerrard, based on nothing other than the love for the gaffer and dislike of Allen. Barisic was being branded around as some Mark Allen flop a few months ago, but I guess he’s become a Gerrard signing now that he’s the best full back in the country.

How is it over the top? Look where we were before he came and now we are the best team in the country with our youths cleaning up. Without him no Stevie G. You don't think that's extraordinary? I do.
The constant pay offs and dross signed means I think he done decent-good job, not an extraordinary one.

The constant pay offs and dross signed means I think he done decent-good job, not an extraordinary one.
All the massive progress at all levels of the club can be laid directly at the feet of Mark Allen. To say he only done a decent job is one of the most mental things I've seen on here.

Back