Mark Walters and Paul Elliot Racially Abused At Parkhead; Before Banana Shame Game

You were at the Celtic v Villa game?
The game in the article is a friendly from 86 before either Walter's or Elliot came to Scotland when both were at Villa.
Tynecastle was the week after the piggery and has often been portrayed as the worst of the two - not in my opinion. It was a copy cat effort and potentially looked worse due to the fact the fans are closer to the pitch and was confined to a smaller location.
At the piggery it was more widespread among a greater number of people, with every fruit shop in the area having sold out and extremely vocal fans booing Walters every touch in addition to the monkey chants and costumes. Even Gerry Britton, who was with the youth team at the time and had to clean up afterwards, said he was embarrassed by his fellow fans and that it was the worst he had ever experienced.
The big difference, and why people seem to recall Tynecastle as being worse, was the manner of the reporting - the media actually joked about it at Parkhead and played it down. They probably hoped it was a one off for his debut and only really expressed any sense of outrage the following week when Hearts repeated the scums actions.
That, anyway, is how I recall it having been at both games.
We should find the media reports for after that game it should make interesting reading. We need to go on the attack.

I think you have missed the point of the thread mate. the guy is talking about the small article at the bottom with the Celtic fan talking about how their support racially abused young villa players which would have included Walters and Elliot at that time
I possibly did then. My (intended) point was Elliott went to them after the Walters game. Surely he would have heard about it around Villa Park yet he still chose to go there. Probably should have explained where I was coming from in my post.

I was at Mark Walters debut against the green racists .
Sickening from start to finish.
I think the perception that it was worse at Tynecastle a couple of weeks later comes from the media in Scotland.
It was briefly mentioned or ignored at the game against sellik, however, it was more widely reported and highlighted a couple of weeks later after the Tynecastle game.
Including Archie Macpherson, who made a point of addressing the BBC shortbread viewers while holding a banana.
To be fair to him, when asked years later he regretted not making more of the incident at the stad de plastic paddies.

Latest posts

Back