Mark Warburton to West Ham assistant coach

Wonder what reception he will get at the friendly.

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Mark Warburton as a first-team assistant coach.

The former Brentford, Rangers, Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers manager has managed nearly 350 matches, winning two promotions and a succession of individual awards, and will add experience and knowhow to David Moyes’ backroom staff.
Hope we’re singing he’s got a magic hat. Beating the beggars at hampden was amazing

Hope we’re singing he’s got a magic hat. Beating the beggars at hampden was amazing
Certainly hope so.

He ultimately wasn’t good enough for us at premier league level but he was what we needed at the time, had us playing terrific football at times and as I said previously, he totally restructured our youth system to what it is right now.

There's a difference being a manager/head coach and being responsible for Rangers FC.

Warburton has done well in the top half of the English Championship as the former. The pressure and expectation that comes with being the Rangers Manager is something else completely and Warburton himself has admitted that he struggled with this. That doesn't mean that he couldn't perform well at most other 'normal' clubs.

Certainly hope so.

He ultimately wasn’t good enough for us at premier league level but he was what we needed at the time, had us playing terrific football at times and as I said previously, he totally restructured our youth system to what it is right now.
He was then right manager but at the wrong time . Had we the players , we would’ve been amazing

Warburton's football for me was similar to Postecoglou's, playing attractive pass and move football that when it worked was very entertaining, but when played against better class teams could be a bit suicidal. Celtc's version had the benefit of having better defenders, but was consistently caught out in Europe. May be good for him to not be the main man and be able to learn a bit from Moyes.

Awful manager, responsible for the SC final humiliation and failed miserably in the SPL who then lied and cheated his way out of the club.

And yet there seem to be plenty on here who are happy with his performance and behaviour. It beggars belief they have such low standards and low expectations.

Good luck to him but he and David Moyes have completely different footballing styles which makes this very weird.
That's a very good point. Could be that means they compliment each other well though. If they attack like a Warburton team & defend like a Moyes team that could be a pretty formidable team.

Gerrard didn't fare that well in his first season domestically.
How well would Warburton have done with the same budget?
We'll never know.
It all went tits up from the Hibs cup final onwards, but I'll never forget the semi against them and some of the football we played before that.
The semi final was goosebumps material.

Left us in a far better place than the shambles he inherited.

Not an ideal exit by any means but I'd hope he'll get a decent reception

In the aftermath of the tragedy of our supporters club bus crash in 2016, Mark Warburton the man conducted himself in a manner truly befitting of a Rangers manager. Our members and the families directly affected by the tragedy will always remember the sincere kindness and thoughtfulness shown by Mark in the days and weeks that followed our darkest day. I’ll leave the debate on his managerial skills to others but I can assure you that Mark Warburton is a truly fine gentleman who will always be respected by the members of our supporters club.
I was lucky enough to meet a good few of your lads hiking up Ben Lomond to raise funds for the RSEA a year or two after this tragic accident.

If you guys are telling me this about Mark Warburton, that’s good enough for me. Incidentally, I hope the young lad who made it all the way to top that day, despite his ongoing injuries, has continued to make a full recovery.

Good for him. He'll learn from Moyes and Moyes might learn from him too. Maybe it's an appointment with a view to him taking over in the future.

I’d agree with that. Began to lay the foundations,(Pedro a blip) and then Gerrard carried on building.

He signed Tav and brought a style of football to Rangers that Gerrard built on.
Agreed, incremental steps were required. Incredible to think 3 players that started the Dortmund game played against Progress

I play 6’s at the university sports centre on a Wednesday night. Saw Mark Warburton tonight so I went over and spoke to him.

Nice guy, nothing but good words about Rangers. Loved his time with us, was absolutely gutted at our defeat in Seville - said we were so unlucky and reaching the final was a great achievement that made the rest of Europe stand up and take note. Cannot wait for the friendly in a few weeks.

Briefly spoke about Michael Beale at QPR. Said he’s a top coach and will be interesting to see how he gets on as it’s a completely different role and position. Same with him, looking forward to being involved in Premiership football.

David Moyes came over, the three of us had a quick chat and I let them go.

Decent guys who at least have time for people.

We also talked about the need for quality. Warburton hit it straight away by saying a sale or two allowing us to improve the first 11.

It’s good hearing opinions from men involved at the highest level.

I would hope he’d get a decent reception. Done a job early on but didn’t work out stepping up a level. Left under a bit of a cloud but no ill will to him from me
Will always be remembered as the man who got us back in the big time.

Warburton had us playing with a bit of flair and the football was thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

I’ll always be thankful for what he started the wheels in motion for.

No bad feelings towards the guy.
He needed to learn to adapt and win, and sadly didn't do that to survive Glasgow.

Re the earlier discussion about the budget he was working with, the wage bill for the first team in Warburton's last season was less than 1/3 of what we were paying out in season 20/21.

Back