Markinch United 1967-68

mdingwall

Administrator
Markinch United 1967-68

The team pictured contains two of the five "Markinch Lads" who all sadly perished in the Ibrox Disaster.

The Hillside Rangers team they played that day included Derek Johnstone who would go on to play for Rangers a few season later. Hillside also featured Mel Holden who would go on to play for Preston, Sunderland, Blackpool and Zwolle.

Despite leading 2-1 at one point United lost the game 4-2

The clipping comes from the Facebook page of their friend Shane Fenton. Shane, a Celtic fan, has done much great work to memorialise his old pals.

The picture note from Shane reads -

MARKINCH UNITED FC - [SEASON 1967-68]
Hard to believe this was 50 years ago. The entire team came from Markinch.
Sadly four of the boys in the picture are no longer with us.
Ron Paton & Dougie Morrison to the right of me in the picture tragically lost their lives in the 1971 Ibrox Disaster, Walter Shaw to my left also died young of an illness. Sandy Thomson 2nd left in front row passed away a few years ago also from an illness.

Pete Lee 2nd right front row and myself had also attended the match at Ibrox in 1971. We had walked from Markinch to Glenrothes wit
h the Markinch Rangers boys to get our respective supporters buses.
On a lighter note everyone in the photo appears to have the same haircut, we all must have frequented town barber Bob Allan!
Back row from left:Ron Paton,Dougie Morrison,Shane Fenton,Walter Shaw;Graham Stewart & Robert Barclay.
Front from left:Bobby Bayne,Sandy Thomson,Cumbie Bowers,Pete Lee & Colin Dow.

Dod Morrison & Cumbie Bowers [sn] were the team managers.

Last edited:
I am a few miles from Markinch today and thought about driving over to see the memorial. I think I probably will now

Back