Marseille 6 - 0 CSKA Moscow

v2yinhqf8if11.jpg

Had we taken our chances at Ibrox, we'd have scudded CSKA Moscow at home as well

Am I not right in saying we needed to beat them over there in the 5th game. Otherwise we needed them to lose and us win in that last game. They're still cheating barstewards but still.

Nothing wrong with holding a grudge about Marseille cheating that year. Success at that level doesn't come around much for us and they did cheat.

We blew it last game for sure but we were already under pressure from the cheating.

Hateley sent off at Brugge will always stick with me as one of the most contrived and bent decisions ever.

That was planned. They were terrified of him.

That we didn’t really go for them after Durrant’s equaliser puzzles me to this day.
The draw put us on 7 pts each.

They had to play Bruge away, us Moscow at home.

The draw was a great result.

We did it without Hateley who was totally immense that season, our best player and got sent off for zilch at Bruge, missing the last two games.

Subsequent reports have suggested the ref was bribed to send him off as Marseille feared him. It was backed up by several sources but ultimately, forgotten as Marseille lost their status due to their cheating.

Last edited:
Mccoist missed a great chance. Memory is hazy whether it was 1-1 or 0-1 at the time.
Yea my memory may be hazy too, I recall us being outplayed for the most part until the equaliser. Instead of pushing hard for a winner, we seemed content with the draw and keep it alive for the final game. Wouldn’t mind seeing the full game again to see if I still think that.

We did it without Hateley who was totally immense that season and got sent off for zilch at Bruge, missing the last two games.

Subsequent reports have suggested the ref was bribed to send him off.
A win put us into the final though, and they were their for the taking after the equaliser.

A win put us into the final though, and they were their for the taking after the equaliser.

A win wouldn't have put us in the final.

It was two points for a win then, we'd have had 8, them 6, with a game to play and goal difference far in their favour...due to the cheating.

As I was 5 I can't speak for Gers at the time but from what I've read, a draw was seen as a great result away to a great team and the last fixtures would be favourable. I don't think anyone at the time considered us cowardly in not going for a win but I may be mistaken.

Mccoist missed a great chance. Memory is hazy whether it was 1-1 or 0-1 at the time.
I don't think we had any chances after the equaliser, I think Huistra was free on the edge of the box at one point but dithered too long and misplaced the pass.

It's been nearly 30 years since I watched so I may be talking nonsense as usual though

We did it without Hateley who was totally immense that season, our best player and got sent off for zilch at Bruge, missing the last two games.

Subsequent reports have suggested the ref was bribed to send him off as Marseille feared him. It was backed up by several sources but ultimately, forgotten as Marseille lost their status due to their cheating.

Drawing at Marseille was an excellent result, I don't think we get the credit we deserve because of what was at stake though.

If anything, Bruges away was the bigger missed opportunity as we really did batter them in the 2nd half.

The Brugge away game was the one that done us really, we hammered them in the 2nd half but their keeper was in inspirational form!

My previous post did lack clarity. My anger got the better of me.

Watching a docu on our 92/93 journey.

An absolute outrage they got away with that.

I have sold Gerry McNee three cars over the years, and he told me that Walter Smith went to speak to the referee at halftime during the Marseille game and Bernard Tapie was in there.He was sure the referee was being bribed.

Had we taken our chances at Ibrox, we'd have scudded CSKA Moscow at home as well
NO. I remember that game and the commentary. There was cash per point, so a draw earned them (CSKA) money that a loss wouldn't. They knew they wouldn't get a win so they played for a 0-0 draw - wasn't a coincidence.

That year was essentially our last (possibly ever) chance of winning the European Cup (CL).

I hate those bastards Marseille to this day.

It might never have happened for us, but they certainly made fūcking sure of it.

Really wanted rangers to sign CSKA's young forward Ilshat Faizulin that season. Moved to Spain and didn't really do much according to wiki but I thought he was a brilliant young player

It was two points for a win then, we'd have had 8, them 6, with a game to play and goal difference far in their favour...due to the cheating.

As I was 5 I can't speak for Gers at the time but from what I've read, a draw was seen as a great result away to a great team and the last fixtures would be favourable. I don't think anyone at the time considered us cowardly in not going for a win but I may be mistaken.
It was more on reflection in the days after that I started to feel that we had a real chance of taking them had we had more belief in ourselves.
Cheating aside, they were a great team though - not many teams left the velodrome with a draw.

I don't think we had any chances after the equaliser, I think Huistra was free on the edge of the box at one point but dithered too long and misplaced the pass.

It's been nearly 30 years since I watched so I may be talking nonsense as usual though

We played well within ourselves after we equalised over there, mate. Anyway, Tapie had already bought the last crucial game against Bruges.

Hateley got send off for this against Brugge:

Straight Red.

Multiple reports afterwards suggest the Ref was paid to send him off.

Judge for yourself.

Why should we?
Think about it this way, Rangers go through a whole Champions league campaign undefeated missing out on the final by default to a team proven to have bribed referees and opposition and nothing happens.
Celtic go out of Champions league qualifiers 6-1 to a legia Warsaw team who brought on an insignificant sub with 10 minutes to go and through their placemen and contacts in UEFA manage to get reinstated to get shot at Champions league riches.

As much as a few of the goals were courtesy of some very curiously uncommitted defending by the Russians, it was Marseille’s easiest game on paper and I think everyone expected them to win it anyway.

H
Hateley got send off for this against Brugge:

Straight Red.

Multiple reports afterwards suggest the Ref was paid to send him off.

Judge for yourself.
Hateley said it himself before the brugge game he was contacted by someone offering him money not to play in marseille game and obviously he said no and then he gets red card against brugge putting him out of the marseille game , stinks to high heavens

IF we'd beaten Brugge over there, IF we'd beaten Marseilles over there, IF we'd beaten CSKA at home. Tapie's bribes helped Marseilles, but we failed all on our own. Get a life, guys, and quit dining out on ifs, buts, and maybes.

Last edited:
NO. I remember that game and the commentary. There was cash per point, so a draw earned them (CSKA) money that a loss wouldn't. They knew they wouldn't get a win so they played for a 0-0 draw - wasn't a coincidence.

We missed countless chances that night. McCoist missed half a dozen on his own, Trevor Steven hit the bar, Gough had a header saved, John Brown a volley.

They could play for a draw all they want, if we had taken our chances we'd have taken minimum 3 or 4 off them.

A win in Marseille put us in the final as it was head to head that was used instead of goal difference.

Honestly doubt we’d have beaten milan in the final. They rag dolls Marseille for long periods and Marseille outplayed us at Ibrox apart from 20 mins. Still we were cheated that’s for sure. The Hateley sending off, Moscow playing out their skins at Ibrox and celebrating at the end as if they had won the cup and the opening goal for Marseille against Bruges were clear indicators.

We missed countless chances that night. McCoist missed half a dozen on his own, Trevor Steven hit the bar, Gough had a header saved, John Brown a volley.

They could play for a draw all they want, if we had taken our chances we'd have taken minimum 3 or 4 off them.

A win in Marseille put us in the final as it was head to head that was used instead of goal difference.
That was the opportunity. A loss of course put us out so understandable without hindsight why Walter took his chances on the last game. If Hateley had played in Marseille Im hundred percent certain we would have won. Marseille froze that night and we had them.

Marseilles, Milan and Barca were the best teams by quite a distance at that time - maybe we weren’t too far off that particular season - thus one of them dishing out the odd scudding would not be beyond the realms of possibility.

Yet that Marseille team have been conclusively proven as cheats - which with all their talent they didn’t have to - and of course CSKA had already dumped the holders Barcelona out on the way to groups.

Then on the other hand you can factor in the fact that CSKA were coming off their winter break goin into that game in Marseilles and that given the car crash which was 90s Russia economy probably lost some players between the game they drew 1-1 in Berlin before the break.

For me I think Marseilles did cheat and something was amiss in that game. No smoke without fire and Tapie was a complete snake

Back