Maryhill Juniors looking for help

i wish the committee all the best for the future my old primary saracen won the schools cup there over 50 yrs ago and i saw some good junior and amature football their i was a perthshire fan in the old days i know there are some good people there and hope they get some help

Were propped up by a sugar daddy back in the day Dudas once he lost interest they dropped pretty rapidly , pitch is a bit of a state now terrible place to watch also . Sadly the city junior clubs are up against more than the smaller town / village clubs hope they sort something out

Were propped up by a sugar daddy back in the day Dudas once he lost interest they dropped pretty rapidly , pitch is a bit of a state now terrible place to watch also . Sadly the city junior clubs are up against more than the smaller town / village clubs hope they sort something out

Freddy died recently , my mates involved in North Glasgow colts and he left them £500 a great guy . My mum still lives a few hundred yards away ,Hope they survive .

I played a couple of games for them circa 1984.
They were fucking gash.
A team of trialists beat the first team 3-0. Yours truly netting two and my mate got the other.

The thing I remember most was one of their players was dressed in a green and white track suit, had the stereotypical ginger hair and had recently been given a testimonial against Celtc.
He went by the name Paddy Turner and just had that "look" about him.

He introduced himself to me and asked me who I supported.
Erm! "Rangers."

His reply nearly floored me. "Excellent wee man, too many fucking 19th Century Terrorists in this team."

To this day, I have no idea if he meant it or was just having a joke.

Any bear know this guy and put me out of my misery?:))

They were fucking gash.
A team of trialists beat the first team 3-0. Yours truly netting two and my mate got the other.

The thing I remember most was one of their players was dressed in a green and white track suit, had the stereotypical ginger hair and had recently been given a testimonial against Celtc.

Erm! "Rangers."

His reply nearly floored me. "Excellent wee man, too many fucking 19th Century Terrorists in this team."

He was kidding you mate.

They were fucking gash.

Erm! "Rangers."

Paddy Turner was definitely a blue nose. I remember seeing him play for Cambuslang Rangers way back in the early 80's & I've seen him at Rangers games over the years.
'Paddy' was his nickname , think his real name was Davy or Danny?..... not sure to be honest..

Last edited:
They've no chance of survival. These clubs need social clubs for finance, and that's a bygone era.
Many of the East clubs have gone to the pyramid league, and apparently the West clubs are about to do the same. However, I don't see how that changes the financial aspect of the clubs.
Only people still filling their boots are the clowns who run the juniors at the SjFA.
Closed shop. No idea or interest in finding a way to help anybody, bar themselves.

They were fucking gash.

Erm! "Rangers."

100% Bluenose. His real name is William Turner. I've known Paddy for over 40 years. He was a centre forward and scored goals for fun.

It's hard for football in general these days. Too many people just don't see football as something that you follow in person on a Saturday afternoon. For kids it's something you watch on TV or play on the Xbox. For a lot of adults it's something you follow in the bookies or the pub as you watch the results on your coupon come in.

You can take a family to a junior football game for a little over £15. It's affordable for folk on low wages. Facilities at grounds aren't great - a big issue is the provision of toilets and the often poor state of covered terracing - but whilst the football on show is a bit of a throwback, I love going along to a junior game when I don't have anything else to go to on a Saturday. I'll go to Pollok with a couple of my mates and enjoy 2 teams playing a competitive game with none of this diving or tippy tappy stuff that's infected the modern game. Wingers actually trying to beat a man. Players tackling. Teams playing direct. It doesnt need to be high skill to be really entertaining.

If we don't value football and the smaller clubs who cater to their local communities then we'll lose them.

i wish the committee all the best for the future my old primary saracen won the schools cup there over 50 yrs ago and i saw some good junior and amature football their i was a perthshire fan in the old days i know there are some good people there and hope they get some help

In the 1960s my grandparents lived in Ashfield Street, so when staying with them I’d watch either Perthshire or Ashfield matches, depending who was playing at home. I was even allowed to go on my own :)

I’ve played at Lochburn a few times, I signed for Maryhill in 1971, but I didn’t last long, as a young teenager I wanted to do other things that were better than training at Lochburn on a cold winter evening ;) If I remember correctly I’m sure we used car headlights to give the park some light!
I can also remember going to Lochburn one summer evening in the late 1960s to watch Johnny Wark star for my old Primary School (Scotstoun) as we beat Dunard Street in a Cup Final.

I also remember the other Maryhill junior team, Maryhill Harp (previously called Maryhill Hibs), who played at Kelvinvale Park (where Kilmun Street is). They went out of business in 1967 after Glasgow Corporation compulsory purchased Kelvinvale for new housing.
I’d actually played at Kelvinvale in primary Schools Cup Finals in 1965 and 1966 and remember the place as being really dilapidated, although the terracing around the pitch was a very decent size.

As for the O/P I really hope that Maryhill FC can continue at Lochburn for a long time to come!

100% Bluenose. His real name is William Turner. I've known Paddy for over 40 years. He was a centre forward and scored goals for fun.
i am sure paddy was a possil guy and was from the same time as johnny hamilton [dingy) and big abie monaghan (dancer) thanks for the contribution

Same problem as any side who relied on a major investor.

Maitland and McDonald just moved on to Clyde then the arse fell out of them when they moved on to Hamilton

My mate was a part of their succesfull period from 95 to 98 then moved to Clyde with Mcdonald and Maitland.
Even during that period they never had a big following and as has been mentioned relied on a thriving social club and Freddie Dudas money.
Know punters who have folowed them all their lives, really feel for them.

I emailed them a couple of years ago requesting information about Jimmy Bowie's time playing for Maryhill .................................nae answer!!!

My mate was a part of their succesfull period from 95 to 98 then moved to Clyde with Mcdonald and Maitland.
Even during that period they never had a big following and as has been mentioned relied on a thriving social club and Freddie Dudas money.
Know punters who have folowed them all their lives, really feel for them.
I remember Freddie Dudas.He was the owner of Cambridge Electrical Contractors, based in Glasgow.

Back