Mason Munn delighted to do family proud and help Rangers to Scottish Youth Cup glory

mdingwall

Administrator
Belfast Telegraph-

Mason Munn admits he was delighted to play a crucial part in Rangers’ Scottish Youth Cup Final success at Hampden Park after his family were left “heartbroken” when he was left on the bench in the previous year’s decider defeat.
The goalkeeper inspired the young Gers to glory over Aberdeen, recording a 2-1 victory at Hampden Park courtesy of a Findlay Curtis penalty and Josh Gentles strike after the Light Blues had initially fallen behind.
But 18-year-old Munn pulled off a string of saves in the game and was the Glasgow giants’ hero for the big occasion when he made a fine stop to deny the Dons an equaliser three minutes from time, repelling Alfie Bavidge’s attempt.
And the Donaghadee native spoke of the joy it brought to the family members who travelled given that he was an unused substitute in 2023’s agonising 6-5 reversal after extra-time to Old Firm rivals Celtic at the same venue.
“It’s absolutely amazing because missing out last year, I just really, really wanted to do it this year,” Munn told the Govan club’s website.
“I mentioned it in previous interviews how much it meant to me to go and win it.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I thought it was a big blow when we went 1-0 down, but we went up the other end and Findlay scored the penalty.
“And from that moment onwards, we had belief that we were going to win the game.
“I had to pull off a big save at 2-1 which meant a lot to the team, and I’m just glad that we won it.
“It was great to make a couple of good saves because it meant a lot to the team.
“My family travelled over last year and I didn’t play. It was a bit heartbreaking for them to see me on the bench, but I played my part this year.”

Assuming he’ll get a promotion to 3rd choice keeper with wright away to Livi ?
I can’t remember who the B team keeper is

Back