Matthew Shiels

GIO GIO GIO GIOVANNI

Anyone else follow the lad on social media? I know it shouldn’t matter in this day and age but the stuff he has been putting on his accounts about how proud he is to play for ROI and putting clovers on his messages kind of turns my stomach.

Does it really matter? He was snubbed by Scotland and asked by the ROI to play for them and is happy too. Scotland have the history of snubbing players without explanation to the players.

Do you complain when the English players in the Scotland squad put up the St. Andrew’s Cross? Or any other player who crosses any divides infact?

What happens if he turns out to be successful player for us and the ROI are you going snub or boo him?

Does it really matter? He was snubbed by Scotland and asked by the ROI to play for them and is happy too. Scotland have the history of snubbing players without explanation to the players.

Do you complain when the English players in the Scotland squad put up the St. Andrew’s Cross? Or any other player who crosses any divides infact?

What happens if he turns out to be successful player for us and the ROI are you going snub or boo him?
I couldn't care less what country he plays for. If I was a footballer and had the chance to play for a better team than Scotland at international never I'd probably take it.

I just checked his Twitter feed, about 95% of his tweets are about Rangers, in fact his pinned tweet says hes delighted to have signed a new contract with Rangers. That's more important than what country he chooses to play for.

Exactly that, we should be focusing and encouraging on players like him that want to be here and might actually make the step up and he makes the international level, it should be looked as a positive that we coached them to there.

Leave the lad be. He considers himself to be Irish and what!

Will he give his all playing in blue is all we should be concerning ourselves about.

Plenty of alleged Rangers men have come and gone through the years that have refused to show that commitment or worsestill have fought against the club

Oh and I hope those staunchly against this like being quoted in newspapers because the media looking for cheap stories may have have all they need here

I do, players should only be allowed to represent their country of birth, unless there is compelling mitigation.

They should only have 2 choices.

There is normal Irish folk out there who detest the image Bheast FC portray them as.

I know one who has leanings towards us.

If this lad puts Rangers first when he’s on the pitch then that is all that should matter.

Living down south I've met more than a few Irishmen who prefer us

Anyone else follow the lad on social media? I know it shouldn’t matter in this day and age but the stuff he has been putting on his accounts about how proud he is to play for ROI and putting clovers on his messages kind of turns my stomach.

If it was any other country he was proud to play for, would you be annoyed? I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "it shouldn't matter".

Why? The fucking Tartan Army are worse toward Rangers players than the ROI fans would be.

%^*& the Scotland National team.
And what’s he going to do if he makes it to the first team and we win something? Running about celebrating draped in a tricolour? He isn’t Irish, he’s a Scottish boy with Scottish parents on either side. We have dogs abuse to McGeady for the same thing.

I wish my life was so devoid of issue that I could have time to give a %^*& about what national team a player of ours chooses to play for. It's his choice alone. Being a young boy he doesn't share the same bitter view of playing for the Republic of Ireland that the older generation do.

If he's enjoying playing for Rangers at club level and Republic of Ireland and international level, then all the best to him. I hope he's a success at Rangers and silences folk like the OP.

***shakes head***

Maybe he fancies playing at a world cup or European championships.

Plus....the Irish fans probably won't boo the lad because of the team he plays for.

I thought I had read that he was going to play for both at this age level because you don't have the make a firm choice before U21s?

If so making the right decision to get more football in at a decent standard at his age group level.

How was he snubbed by Scotland when he was named in their squad??

I don't care he chose ireland. But let's not distort the facts here. Unless your referring to an earlier selection than the current recently announced squads?

Good luck to the lad. Hope it helps his development and he goes on to become a good player for us.

If he plays his heart out for us and wants to play for us who cares, good luck to him and all our young players.

There is normal Irish folk out there who detest the image Bheast FC portray them as.

I know one who has leanings towards us.

If this lad puts Rangers first when he’s on the pitch then that is all that should matter.

Yep. I play 5s with a lad from Ireland. He splits his support between Everton and Celtic. Obviously we are rivals to him but he doesn’t hate us like those in Scotland do.

He's a Rangers player. Be excited he's considered good enough for international recognition. It gets him noticed and potentially increases value which is good news for Rangers.

How was he snubbed by Scotland when he was named in their squad??

I don't care he chose ireland. But let's not distort the facts here. Unless your referring to an earlier selection than the current recently announced squads?

Good luck to the lad. Hope it helps his development and he goes on to become a good player for us.

He was snubbed by them last year and that’s why he choose ROI. Scotland are only now trying to claw him back as usual all to little too late. They could have easily sat down or rang him or rangers and explained why he was being left out and chose not to.

Believe it or not, not all Irish folk are f*nian b's. I met a bunch of them in Tenerife last year, all with the ROI gear on and not one with a nice thing to say about that lot from the east end who pretend to be Irish.

If he has strong feeling towards that country then good luck to him.

It's the boys choice... i'm sure he has his reasons....

Like others have said, Rangers players getting picked for Scotland nowadays is a poisoned chalice and should be highlighted by the club.

Good luck to the lad ... he's a Rangers player with clear potential and that's all i care about

load of rubbish, if this was any other player bar Rangers hs would be getting destroyed.

It's a joke.
Maybe he wasn't good enough last year for Scottish cap and he now is.

My sister and I swam to a high level, when Scotland squad came calling you' jump at it not thinking might go and represent Ireland at swimming because of grand parents, silly, brought up Scottish, live in Scotland but will go and stand in Ireland and wear their green and listen to their national anthem. He's not what I would want in my team.

Now if he was born and brought up in Republic of Ireland and wanted to play for us thats totally different.

So many part time loyalists on here that if we signed James McLean from WBA you' get the usual line, he' Rangers player now got to support him.

I do, players should only be allowed to represent their country of birth, unless there is compelling mitigation.

They should only have 2 choices.

That’s fine as that’s your opinion and at least your not a hypocrite like some on here.

I however don’t agree as I’ve said before on here when I was at Livingston I was scouted by the Norway unders as I qualified through my papa and would have accepted a call up, like wise if England under were too aswell as would have been eligible through my gran.

And what’s he going to do if he makes it to the first team and we win something? Running about celebrating draped in a tricolour? He isn’t Irish, he’s a Scottish boy with Scottish parents on either side. We have dogs abuse to McGeady for the same thing.

Maybe because he played for Celtic and detested every single thing about Rangers

I wonder if this would have attracted so much debate had his grandparents been, for example, Dutch - and he’d elected to play for The Netherlands? I suspect most would have been congratulating him on a wise choice.

On the more general debate, I do disagree with the ‘grandparent rule’.

I’m not gonna give the lad stick for picking ROI
If I was in his shoes I’d have a choice between Scotland and NI
I know which one I’d rather represent

If he chooses to play for Rep of Ireland ahead of the country of his birth, then I'd rather he wasn't at the club.

Hell of a lot of hypocrites on here.

Back