Media narrative

Heard a few clips of them comparing Morelos and Roofe as players.

Now in a normal country and a professional media presence then this would, on the face of it seem sensible and logical. Its the obvious comparison to make given one will likley be replacing the other.

But this is not a normal country and the media circles in Scotland are anything but professional.

In what amounted to be a 15 to 20 second clip they have a journalist from Leeds speak about Roofe. Within the clip they have spliced it ensure the mention of words like aggressive and bullish are included.

Now if I am thinking way too much into that then fair enough and admin can chop, I cant help but feel this is their usual tactic with a Rangers player they fear. Set the narrative early and watch it grow arms and legs. The plan being to upset the player and turn a potential talking to from the refferee to yellows and yellows to red.

They are masters at death by a thousand cuts.

Kent I feel will also be in for similar treatment this season.

I hope David Graham is relentless with them this season. The fight off the park will almost be as important on it.

David Graham and Rangers have simply sat back and allowed our rivals to be awarded a corrupt league title without saying a single word about it.

Started with a bang then as usual the narratives have been set by our enemies and challenged by none.

David Graham and Rangers have simply sat back and allowed our rivals to be awarded a corrupt league title without saying a single word about it.

Started with a bang then as usual the narratives have been set by our enemies and challenged by none.

Perhaps you missed us putting together a dossier of dodgy behaviour, calling for suspensions of the powers that be, and pushed for an independent investigation into the process to the point of offering to cover the costs ourselves.

Would the fanbase like to see the club calling our Celtic and Peter lawell as crooks and liars, and Doncaster as their useful idiot? Sure - but we'd be sued by them the next morning and the SPFL wouldn't need much encouragement to hammer us with penalties. It's frustrating but we are only one club in a country where our enemies have been allowed to build up huge fear/support in the other clubs and we need to box smart

Have we ever considered a concerted effort to change the narrative on Clyde? If they were inundated with calls every night from Bears (real), then we would possibly be able to swing the tide. Giving uo listening to it just gives the tims a free reign to do and say whatever they want.

Perhaps you missed us putting together a dossier of dodgy behaviour, calling for suspensions of the powers that be, and pushed for an independent investigation into the process to the point of offering to cover the costs ourselves.

Would the fanbase like to see the club calling our Celtic and Peter lawell as crooks and liars, and Doncaster as their useful idiot? Sure - but we'd be sued by them the next morning and the SPFL wouldn't need much encouragement to hammer us with penalties. It's frustrating but we are only one club in a country where our enemies have been allowed to build up huge fear/support in the other clubs and we need to box smart

Like I said he seemed to start with a bang and most of the support were thinking ‘finally after years of nobody fighting our corner’ however you can’t argue we appear to have completely capitulated since, especially when you take into account the numerous occasions since that have given ample opportunity for us to have a go publicly.

If there is an ulterior motive then I’ll happily be proven wrong but from where I’m sitting it looks like for whatever reason we have backed off and left them to get on with it.

Like I said he seemed to start with a bang and most of the support were thinking ‘finally after years of nobody fighting our corner’ however you can’t argue we appear to have completely capitulated since, especially when you take into account the numerous occasions since that have given ample opportunity for us to have a go publicly.

If there is an ulterior motive then I’ll happily be proven wrong but from where I’m sitting it looks like for whatever reason we have backed off and left them to get on with it.
Is it not just as simple as legally they had nowhere else to go.

I thought they done well actually and stirred things up enough to make life very uncomfortable for certain people.

Never thought Aberdeen would be on board for a start, then Livingston, which also surprised me.

There are 3 clubs who are the real losers in this and we're not one of them. The club cant run this because a few fans wanted 9iar stopped. That was behind a lot of thinking, because to happily go with null and void was giving up the financial case we may have had, which was possible entry to the cl.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the club going all out and continuously slating Doncaster etc - but when you think that they release what to unbiased eyes is fairly compelling evidence of dodgy dealings and it gets completely laughed off by both the authorities and the media just because it comes from us, it wouldn't achieve anything and would only make us look more powerless than we already do.

Regime change was always going to be the clubs end goal from this and not trying to claw back their tainted title, and that's sadly going to take time while the establishment (!) is stacked against us. There's now clear distrust and suspicion from other clubs around the SPFL, and we have the likes of Tom English and the Aberdeen chairman backing us up which would have never happened a few months ago. Mega frustrating though without doubt.

Is it not just as simple as legally they had nowhere else to go.

I thought they done well actually and stirred things up enough to make life very uncomfortable for certain people.

Never thought Aberdeen would be on board for a start, then Livingston, which also surprised me.

There are 3 clubs who are the real losers in this and we're not one of them. The club cant run this because a few fans wanted 9iar stopped. That was behind a lot of thinking, because to happily go with null and void was giving up the financial case we may have had, which was possible entry to the cl.

I wanted the league played out mate because I for one hadn’t given up hope. Understand your other points though.

In fairness to the op the media are an absolute disgrace, who if they go any further left they will be right wing.

OK mate I'll quickly turn the radio off next time I'm driving.

Don't buy paper's Don't Click, all very well and good but we have a massive amount of our fanbase who still rely on these forms of media, argue the merits if you like but it's a fact.

We still regularly have Record and Sun articles shared on here.

My concern is not really for fans as such but as I mentioned if you allow a narrative to be set up then it can potentially turn a yellow into a red.

Alfie certainly hasn't helped himself at times but no one will convince me otherwise a challenge from him had a potential card that another player wouldn't.

Narrative set and referee wether conscious or not has been influenced.

Pretty sure referees aren’t going to be influenced by clip you’ve admitted yourself is on the whole positive about the Roofe signing.

I get what you’re saying overall though, but if are you analyse everything about Rangers in the media there will always be possibilities to frame it in a negative slant.

It is nothing new.

But that’s not happened yet, so let’s wait and see.
I remember plenty of players from Roberts, to Hurlock, Gascoigne, Gatusso and right up to Morelos being tarred as “trouble” across the media and before you know it, the referees practically have their name in the book before a ball has been kicked in a game.

It’s coming - anyone perceived as a threat to Celtic and their 10 In A Row will be a target through the media this season.

Pretty sure referees aren’t going to be influenced by clip you’ve admitted yourself is on the whole positive about the Roofe signing.

I get what you’re saying overall though, but if are you analyse everything about Rangers in the media there will always be possibilities to frame it in a negative slant.

It is nothing new.

The overall clip was positive, they choose to chop it to a part that included the words aggressive and bullish.

Which btw I know are perfectly normal terms when describing a footballer but we are not dealing with media whom are normal nor should even be trusted.

I wasn't trying to infer this clip will be heard by the refs and suddenly Roofe is a marked man, I used the phrase death by a thousand cuts as this is one example of the way I feel they try to set foundations of a narrative that could then lead to the situation where the player has his card marked.

I agree there is always scope to see something as a negative that is perhaps not there, I guess it's a knock on effect from years of negative attacks on the club, players and fans. Another reason why I like this forum, you can get a wide range of views of form your own from people who's hearts are generally in the right place.

Anyway away and enjoy the sun mate, you won't be surprised to hear it is chucking it down back home.

Irony of it all... I just had a message from a mate who is a big Leeds fan and he says that: Roofe dances around a lot.... not sure he likes the physical side of the game.... decent pace and poacher in front of goal. I am sure he will do well for you.

I don’t know about paranoia but people should remember who was the red card press whipping boy before Morelos took the Job. His name is Ryan Jack! .... but only happened in a blue jersey!

Nothing surer if Morelos leaves they will look for a new target in our first team.

Back