Memories of Davie 'Bamby' McPherson

Glasgow Rangers (Sco)

sorry for all of the new threads admin.....I'm off sick with man flu

Played in arguably the greatest Rangers side of all time but is never mentioned in favourite player chats. I'm 34 so my memories are quite remote. Awkward looking but positionaly good.

Remember him playing for Hearts at Ibrox and passing the ball back for Henry Smith to pick up the whole game (the season before the pass back rule)

Big Slim was a not bad, solid and reliable defender.

5 goals IIRC against Valetta in a UEFA cup tie. a good few championship medals, but him and Ally Maxwell sold the 1994 Cup Final with a monumental %^*& up

When we resigned him from Hearts I had my reservations, we were signing internalionally know players from all over Europe. Big man came back in and was outstanding, even in spells at right back.

While never a great player when I look back it's clear he was better than I believed at the time; certainly good enough to form part of the defence in both games against Leeds during the 92-93 season.

Naw he was named "Bambi" because he looked like the wee deer on ice in the movie - All over the place

Blue tinted specs on for anyone putting him anywhere above average - glad to see back of him twice

Sorry, harsh but true

No hard feelings towards him and he was by no means terrible but I'm not sure he's worthy of his place in our hall of fame.

I thought he was impressive as a youngster in his first spell at the club. I was never convinced when he came back although to be fair he was shunted to Right Back and he was a Centre Half.

Naw he was named "Bambi" because he looked like the wee deer on ice in the movie - All over the place

Blue tinted specs on for anyone putting him anywhere above average - glad to see back of him twice

Sorry, harsh but true

Totally agree with this. I'm sure he let the ball go under his foot for Adrian Sprott to score for Hamilton in 87?

I seem to remember a statto mate telling me that the season big Gough mostly missed through injury, Rangers recorded their best goals against total of the 9 in a row era. The central defensive pairing was John Brown and Dave McPherson. Don't know how true this is, no doubt I'll find out soon.

Remember him more when he returned 2nd time. Always seemed to be the reliable backup. Decent in the air, but a bit slow I think...? Think he got a game more often in Europe because of the foreigners rule

Pretty sure he gave away two foul throws at Elland Road, the big oaf.

I'm pretty sure he was mostly reliable but he ran like his legs had never been introduced to each other which meant you couldn't really take him seriously.

Pretty sure he gave away two foul throws at Elland Road, the big oaf.

I'm pretty sure he was mostly reliable but he ran like his legs had never been introduced to each other which meant you couldn't really take him seriously.

And that big perm flapping about!

He would walk into the current Rangers and Scotland teams.
Seem to remember him putting Baggio out the game for a month after crunching him in a friendly v Italy at Ibrox.

one of the funniest moments at Ibrox

against Hibs early 80's, Big Slim see's the keeper well out his goal, shoots from the half way line
ball curls over the desperate Hibs keeper and Davie turns and starts celebrating...
the ball keeps curling and goes just outside the post...while Dave is still off celebrating
only 16 1/2 K at Ibrox and I think we all burst out laughing
won 3-1, Big Slim not a bad player for us

I remember seeing him come out from the back and shot from half way against hibs and the wind blew it away from the goal just missing. It was around 1984
Big hen broon
Used to come into my work quite a lot and was a gent

We called him "Nancy", and I was astonished when we bought him back!
He did a job, but I doubt anyone missed him when he left again.

one of the funniest moments at Ibrox

against Hibs early 80's, Big Slim see's the keeper well out his goal, shoots from the half way line
ball curls over the desperate Hibs keeper and Davie turns and starts celebrating...
the ball keeps curling and goes just outside the post...while Dave is still off celebrating
only 16 1/2 K at Ibrox and I think we all burst out laughing
won 3-1, Big Slim not a bad player for us
Ha double post but the same story rough

Big 'Diamond' Dave was a very underrated player for us and was missed when he left the club, he wasn't the best or biggest name to play in our defences of that era but certainly held his own and gave 100% effort.

I think he suffered coming into the first team playing alongside Craig Paterson (who was mince IMO) and it took him a good while to regain his confidence after a poor start.

We could sure do with someone like him now.

I remember him scoring an equaliser v Hibs about 87 after Rough had given one of the best goalkeeping displays I've seen by an opposition keeper at Ibrox. reliable player.

Last edited:
I believe that he and Billy Davies were schoolmates at Crookston Castle school (my old school)in Pollok and Rangers were desperately trying to sign Davies as were most clubs in Britain at that time .Apparently Davies asked if he could bring his mate Davie along to the trial and an upshot of that was that Rangers signed both of them.
As I said Davies was one of the most promising and in demand players in Britain at the time ,yet it was big Davie who had the more successful career winning trophies and International caps.

After 23 odd years of unforgiving you should maybe You Tube that moment, Ally Maxwell 100% to blame for that goal, all McPherson did was give the ball to him, and it was a perfectly good back-pass. Maxwell made an erse of it.

After 23 years that's the 2nd time I've seen that goal, you are totally right, Maxwell 100% to blame for that, what a way to blow back to back Trebles :mad:

He was never forgiven after that slip that left Sprott to put us out of the cup in the first round on a pitch that looked like a skating rink.
He was never great but a decent defender most of the time.
I think that was also the goal that stopped Chris woods shut out record.

I remember him scoring a winner v Hibs about 87 after Rough had given one of the best goalkeeping displays I've seen by an opposition keeper at Ibrox. reliable player.

This was an equaliser when we were pummelling their goal Dhims were losing heavily 4-1 at Dens the same day

Once met him in a pub in Stornoway. His agent Murdo Mackay had relations from the island and they had come up to work out on the island beaches. They had worked so hard that they both needed some liquid refreshments

Him and Maxwell in the 94 cup final.

It's the only one that sticks in my head.

I've never forgiven either of them.
Indeed back to back treble was on that year..

I remember him scoring an equaliser against HiVS at Ibrox in Souness first season

Never heard him called bambi before, he was always known as big sadie, my mate called him at a POTY dance and I thought he was going to rip his head off :D

Back