Memories of Gary Stevens

CambridgeRanger

Tad before my time, but one hell of a resume playing for us, 6 League, 2 Scottish Cup and 3 Scottish League Cup medals to his name, during his 6 year and 246 game stay (as per The Rangers Archive)
Main one that sticks out to me, and I am sure others, is scoring the first goal of what would be our start to accomplishing 9 in a row against Hamilton in 1988
382C6A9A-DE90-41A6-8B5F-2CBF3427113D-scaled.jpeg

One of his best games was in the league decider against the sheep in 1991. He was shifted to left back after Tom Cowan or Chris Vinnicombe got injured early in the game I think, not sure which one of the two it was but stand to be corrected.

That day was mental as we had to move Scott Nisbet to right back and Nigel Spackman to the centre of defence alongside John Brown.

In the second half Brown got injured and had to go off so Stevens had to move into central defence and it was that bad Mark Hateley had to slot in at left back for the last ten mins. You think our injuries are bad now that day it was off the charts as we put an unfit McCoist on the bench just to make up the numbers.

This has always stuck with me.

A game at Easter Rd and a big clueless balloon was giving him dog’s abuse from start to finish including “Stevens, you’re a horse's arse. Never a Rangers player.”

I was dying to say something, but he was built like a brick shit hoose.

That bloke is probably now a match thread veteran.

Last edited:
One of his best games was in the league decider against the sheep in 1991. He was shifted to left back after Tom Cowan or Chris Vinnicombe got injured early in the game I think, not sure which one of the two it was but stand to be corrected.

That day was mental as we had to move Scott Nisbet to right back and Nigel Spackman to the centre of defence alongside John Brown.

In the second half Brown got injured and had to go off so Stevens had to move into central defence and it was that bad Mark Hateley had to slot in at left back for the last ten mins. You think our injuries are bad now that day it was off the charts as we put an unfit McCoist on the bench just to make up the numbers.

Tom Cowan, had his leg broken.

Truly a wonderful defender, an incredible athlete, and a perfect partner to Trevor Steven. He was a cornerstone of our team along with Gough, Bomber, Fergie (Ian), McCoist, Goram etc. A completely justified legend who we were lucky to have for so long, and a worthy successor to Sandy, Bobby Shearer, Dougie Gray etc. A genuine Rangers legend and top 3 right backs ever…And before anyone under 30 asks, yes it really is the equivalent of signing Kyle Walker today, and I guess even you lot would swap Tav for Walker if we could

He was probably ahead of his time as a full back to such an extent that at his peak now he'd still be outstanding in today's game.

I don't want to start an argument but I don't get what you mean by saying he was ahead of his time? It's as if there's progress made generation after generation.

Tell you what, I'd have Stevens and Davie Robertson in a heartbeat over Tav and Yilmaz on Saturday.

The best Rangers right back I’ve seen in my approaching 40 years watching us

A world class defender who had no real weakness in his game, brought in at a time when signing top talent was becoming normal for us. A gem

Rolls Royce of a player, but got to say the memory that sticks in my mind is a very dodgy perm at dens park circa ‘88, straightners must have been bought next day as back to usual the following Saturday at Ibrox

A great full back.

After coming back from injuries, Walter planned for him to be the right side of a three at the back with Trevor Steven being the right sided wing back, never happened.

Should never have happened!! Roy Aitken took a throw in that was awarded to us, stopped us from doing back to back trebles.Was at hampden that day.Gutted doesn’t come close.
Stopped us from doing a treble.

The back to back treble was when we fucked it against Scumdee Utd after phoning it in for weeks because we cantered the league.

A great full back.

After coming back from injuries, Walter planned for him to be the right side of a three at the back with Trevor Steven being the right sided wing back, never happened.
Didn’t Walter try that away at AEK?

A great full back.

i think Gary Stevens in the back 3 happened away to AEK Athens once, and was never seen again. And Stevens left to join Tranmere the following month.

By far and away the best right back I've seen at Ibrox. Jardine was just before my time.

An international class player who'd be at Man City today.

Didn’t Walter try that away at AEK?
He did, but from memory it was just with Gary Stevens on the right of a three. I don't think Trevor Steven played. We then had one of the best sweepers in Europe in Basile Boli playing right back in the 2nd leg

I could be mistaken, I have tried to erase the shit show from my mind.

He did, but from memory it was just with Gary Stevens on the right of a three. I don't think Trevor Steven played. We then had one of the best sweepers in Europe in Basile Boli playing right back in the 2nd leg

A difficult thing to do when you stood and watched that nonsense unfold. Around ten years ago I worked with an AEK fan of the same age and he told me that at the time, it was considered the greatest European result in their history.

Easily the best right back I’ve seen playing for us. Bombed up and down the right side of the park and also liked a tackle.

This has always stuck with me.

A game at Easter rd and a big clueless balloon was giving him dog’s abuse from start to finish including “Stevens, you’re a horses arse. Never a Rangers player.”

I was dying to say something, but he was built like a brick shit hoose.

That bloke is probably now a match thread veteran.
Nah, he’ll be deid Shengus!

Stevens was played on the left of the back three that night.

Back