Mentality, or lack of

TriggersBroom

As soon as we made it 3-1, plenty of time left to pile the goals in against 10 men who were knackered.

Instead the players seemed content enough. Knocking it about, little urgency, walking to take corners, free kicks, subs slowly walking off etc.

Absolutely baffling as we know even a win next week means we’re still well behind in goals.

I shouldn’t be surprised I guess

As soon as we made it 3-1, plenty of time left to pile the goals in against 10 men who were knackered.

Instead the players seemed content enough. Knocking it about, little urgency, walking to take corners, free kicks, subs slowly walking off etc.

Absolutely baffling as we know even a win next week means we’re still well behind in goals.

You’re moaning for moaning sake.

We had chances after scoring the third & we did score a fourth.

We played it as if it was a bog standard league game. No urgency to go and get the ball, no giving ourself every chance to score more. Sure, we scored 4 and had a lot of shots, but that game could have happened at any point in the season, it didn't *look* like a team who had goal difference on their minds.

If we win next week we won't be 'well behind'in goals. The most it would be would be 3, which isn't unachievable to catch in 2 games.

If we win next week we won't be 'well behind'in goals. The most it would be would be 3, which isn't unachievable to catch in 2 games.
I'll take any kind of win next weekend but after that, I can't see us outscoring them over last 2 games. Especially with us at Tynecastle and them at home to St Mirren on last day.

You’re moaning for moaning sake.

We had chances after scoring the third & we did score a fourth.
Disagree. It’s an ongoing issue with this squad. Slow to take corners, free kicks etc even when we’re a goal down. Tav is probably the worst for it.

Sterling and Cantwell strolling off today was infuriating.

I'll take any kind of win next weekend but after that, I can't see us outscoring them over last 2 games. Especially with us at Tynecastle and them at home to St Mirren on last day.
I agree it would be unlikely but it's certainly not impossible. Especially if we smashed Dundee, the pressure is on them big time going to Kilmarnock the following night. They'd have lost all their momentum and you just never know how they'd react.

All ifs and buts, we just need to hope for a win next week and see what happens.

We played it as if it was a bog standard league game. No urgency to go and get the ball, no giving ourself every chance to score more. Sure, we scored 4 and had a lot of shots, but that game could have happened at any point in the season, it didn't *look* like a team who had goal difference on their minds.
Correct

Disagree. It’s an ongoing issue with this squad. Slow to take corners, free kicks etc even when we’re a goal down. Tav is probably the worst for it.

Sterling and Cantwell strolling off today was infuriating.
Souttar walking with the ball with about 8 mins to go.

Another baffling thread like football is supposed to be easy, 4-1 at home to Kilmarnock is a very good result.
If we do sneak a 1 goal win next week then goal diff is only 3 which is game on with 2 to go in my books.
Cmon Rangers give us a performance.

We should have closed the GD gap today criminal we did not against 10 men not good enough once again
Today was an ideal opportunity to get the GD down but I thought the players really slowed after the 3rd went in.

Reactions: VMS
Win next week 2-0 and then have the chance to score a few against Dundee, crank up the pressure before they play a euro chasing Killie on an awful pitch

Can’t see it personally but can dream for another week at least

We were terrible today, don't know how anyone can pretend/say/think different.

3 goals against ten men Killie at home after struggling against them with 11.
First half I agree with you. Thought we played better second half.

I actually agree. First half we should have been out like a train but instead we take until about 53 mins to get a goal.

But it could have been caught up today against 10 men and tired beaten team. That’s the point OP is making - he is not moaning but stating a very valid fact.

There's a valid point about our team's urgency and ability to put games to bed (as well as not concede ridiculously cheap goals), but it's the way this has played out across the entire season rather than just today that might leave us falling a wee bit short over the next few weeks. One goal against Dundee. Finishing Motherwell and Ross County off while we were leading rather than slumping to defeat.

Another baffling thread like football is supposed to be easy, 4-1 at home to Kilmarnock is a very good result.
If we do sneak a 1 goal win next week then goal diff is only 3 which is game on with 2 to go in my books.
Cmon Rangers give us a performance.
not really baffling though is it?

Nobody saying it should be easy - we get it, Killie are decently organised.

However, at 3-1 up, they looked dead on their feet, and a man down, yet we had all the energy of a pre-season friendly.

To be fair, all things considered, beating Kilmarnock 4-1, missing a penalty and with big Cyril having an off day, it's not too bad a result.

It could have been more.

The body language from our captain is nothing short of disgraceful

0-1 down at home in a must win title race game and hes jogging around barely looking interested. And for anyone disputing it, dont. His form is off a cliff at the moment.

it's not unachievable but surely you see OP's point that we won't get a better chance to score goals than against an exhausted 10 man team that is mentally broken and has basically nothing left to play for.

the scum's last game of the season is at home against st boo while we face hearts at tynecastle. even if we draw level on points and goal difference by then it will be very difficult to outscore them in that fixture.

a couple more goals today could have been quite pivotal. the lack of urgency was definitely frustrating in that context.

it's not unachievable but surely you see OP's point that we won't get a better chance to score goals than against an exhausted 10 man team that is mentally broken and has basically nothing left to play for.

the scum's last game of the season is at home against st boo while we face hearts at tynecastle. even if we drew level on points and goal difference by then it will be very difficult to outscore them in that fixture.
Yeah true enough

Three is basically four as they'll win the league if level.

It's verging on unrealistic to think we'll outscore them by 4 in the last 2 games.

Really need a two goal win or else we're hoping Kilmarnock can do us a favour.

You reckon this is another mentality thing?

I doubt this team has anymore goals in it than they managed today and it seemed clear that Clement had one eye on next week anyway, but the lack of urgency and bravery on the ball is an ongoing problem that appears to have resurfaced significantly over the last couple of months.

the scum's last game of the season is at home against st boo while we face hearts at tynecastle. even if we draw level on points and goal difference by then it will be very difficult to outscore them in that fixture.

a couple more goals today could have been quite pivotal. the lack of urgency was definitely frustrating in that context.

We also have Dundee at home while they are away to Kilmarnock. If we win next week then we could put ourself quite a bit on GD on those midweek games.

Agree. We are hoping for a win there and for them to trip up at Killie. At the same time hoping we don’t fall over our own feet at home to Dundee.

A team lacking mentality doesn't turn a 0-1 deficit into a 4-1 win.

Conceding a goal is not the same as having a loser mentality, or shitting the bed. It's football. It's what happens.

Back