Merchant City a "No Go Sectarian Area" according to a resident

Coopertrueblue

Official Ticketer
As part of a licencing board review

Interesting any time a complaint was made by the time the police got there nothing was happening.

Application approved to show sport and no colours allowed in. Can see that being enforced.

Merchant City been absolutely overtaken with these faux Irish surname places that cater to one particular group, unfortunately.

Gentrified the Gallowgate and pushed them in the way rather than out the way towards their stadium. Whole Merchant City becoming a no-go area unless you want to have your ears polluted with ‘traditional’ music and IRA add-ons. Whether you are in the actual places or not, it’s unavoidable on days where they’ve been playing at home.

Added to the fact the city centre in general is going down the toilet.

Merchant City is a no go area?

I'm sorry but this is curtain twitching nonsense ffs.
Put yourself in their shoes for a second. Would you be happy living above one of their boozers, 30+ matchdays every year, especially when there are already plenty for them to choose from in the area? Or would you make it out to be as bad as you possibly can when you object?

Presumably one of our own making an objection, fighting the good fight. And being slated for it. We really are clueless about using the system to our advantage then slag those who do.

Every big club across the world has areas of the city that are "their areas".
It doesn't give them license to make people's life's a misery, even more so when people have paid serious money for property in the area. Partick is a big bluenose area, you'd never know outwith a game being on and people living there don't get any grief, mainly because there aren't sash bashes every Saturday night that end up causing residents to complain about anti social behaviour.

The rebel nights and the faux Irish bollocks that goes on every weekend in the merchant city and other "Irish" pubs is a pure cash grab, a fool and there money are easily parted. Especially when it's bitter wee dafties trying to pretend that they're part of some kind of revolution/resistance movement. Some struggle they're having when they get an Uber back to their council funded flat/house and order a Dominos.

Still doesn't give them a right to make people's life's hell.

It doesn't give them license to make people's life's a misery, even more so when people have paid serious money for property in the area. Partick is a big bluenose area, you'd never know outwith a game being on and people living there don't get any grief, mainly because there aren't sash bashes every Saturday night that end up causing residents to complain about anti social behaviour.

The rebel nights and the faux Irish bollocks that goes on every weekend in the merchant city and other "Irish" pubs is a pure cash grab, a fool and there money are easily parted. Especially when it's bitter wee dafties trying to pretend that they're part of some kind of revolution/resistance movement. Some struggle they're having when they get an Uber back to their council funded flat/house and order a Dominos.

Of course it doesn't give them the right to cause misery to others, but it's a common theme when it comes to absolutely anything about football in this country. Look at the absolute wet wipes complaining about Edmiston House plans, if that wasn't a football venue no one would care.

Of course it doesn't give them the right to cause misery to others, but it's a common theme when it comes to absolutely anything about football in this country. Look at the absolute wet wipes complaining about Edmiston House plans, if that wasn't a football venue no one would care.
Agreed, the complaints were likely spurious and likely driven by bias. How likely is it that Edmiston house will host an event with audible sectarian singing, noise complaints and anti social behaviour? It's apples and oranges comparing some pub in the city centre trying to cash in on a hate fest , to a pub next to the stadium owned by the football club.

Used to love Merchant City as my office was there, we’d go for pints after work and before Europa ties, it started being overrun by the vermin however.

Not been in a long time now, Glasgow in general I avoid. Tend to drink locally and head in now.

Excellent post.

A very good point about Partick also. Somewhere I often have a beer after a match. Rangers fans there have a good time without causing issues.

I'm sure it's the same for people who stay in areas around our pubs and clubs at times.

Although I'm guessing that will be different somehow?
Nonsense. You appear to have forgotten about the merchant city residents who all complained about being stuck in their homes all day and having to listen to Celtic fans who were destroying their flat walls by graffiti, using their back courts as toilets, destroying bus shelters, fighting with each other in the streets, trying to kick in residents doors, again causing damage to the Mercat building, taking over the whole area and making the place unbearable for residents by letting off fireworks, openly taking drugs in the street and singing their pro IRA republican bile for hours.

They dont need to be in the street and take over the whole area stopping the residents getting about their day. The pubs in that area could have sold tickets for their pubs and once they were gone, they were gone but, residents should be allowed to enjoy their own homes without that rabble making life difficult for them

Last edited:
If they get the place looking like Glasgow's 'chop zone' people will move out and what was once expensive properties, can be hoovered up for a fraction in time to come.

Won't be any pape pubs then.

Nonsense. You appear to have forgotten about the merchant city residents who all complained about being stuck in their homes all day and having to listen to Celtic fans who were destroying their flat walls by graffiti, using their back courts as toilets, destroying bus shelters, fighting with each other in the streets, trying to kick in residents doors, again causing damage to the Mercat building, taking over the whole area and making the place unbearable for residents by letting off fireworks, openly taking drugs in the street and singing their pro IRA republican bile for hours.

They dont need to be in the street and take over the whole area stopping the residents getting about their day. The pubs in that area could have sold tickets for their pubs and once they were gone, they were gone but, residents should be allowed to enjoy their own homes with that rabble making life difficult for them
No actually I'm well aware that football fans will act like scumbags from time to time because I go to football matches amongst football fans.

Perhaps we should just agree to stop showing live football in pubs throughout the city? Stop fans gathering together outwith the stadiums to celebrate victories?

Well they had to go somewhere after closing a lot of the slop houses in the Gallowgate.
But Iam afraid the trendy city dwellers who have paid top dollar to purchase homes are stuck with them.
Just wait for them singing their shite as they drunkenly stagger by your 5th floor window & dump your piss & shite onto them.
Gardi Loo !!

No actually I'm well aware that football fans will act like scumbags from time to time because I go to football matches amongst football fans.

Perhaps we should just agree to stop showing live football in pubs throughout the city? Stop fans gathering together outwith the stadiums to celebrate victories?
Its not just time to time with their supporters in that area though is it? They have taken over the whole area every time they win the title and destroyed it every single time. There is plenty of footage on Youtube of their supporters fighting outside the pubs in that area.

Well let's just hope all the curtain twitchers are crying about the Rangers support next month.

I thought the Barras area was " their area" !
It's gradually moved west, into an area that was quite a nice place for locals (& tourists) to go for food, nights out etc, and had become an attractive & peaceful area to live, with lots of buildings converted into decent flats.

It kind of started with O'Neills and has led to the likes of the monstrous "Grace's" (wonder why they chose that name...?), and it has indeed left the area as a no-go area on match days, and one to watch your conversations on non match days.

I sympathise with anyone who lives there as the area has deteriorated quite significantly in recent years - and everyone knows why.

It absolutely will be when they win the league this season, they turn it into a putrid hellhole, it's the very definition of a no go area.
And I'm sure the other side will say the same if we take over George Square again.

Anyway, this was about an objection to show live sport in a restaurant.

I thought the Barras area was " their area" !
It was, it was somewhat gentrified and they’ve moved into Merchant City, opening numerous “Irish” pubs and turning what was once a desirable area to live in, and decent for a night out or place to eat, into an absolute hellhole.

I find it strange that people are criticising the residents objecting to this.

And I'm sure the other side will say the same if we take over George Square again.

Anyway, this was about an objection to show live sport in a restaurant.
That restaurant is to be rebranded as something Timmy sounding, can’t remember exactly but remember seeing it reported because I used to live locally, and is going to cater to the vermin that frequent the two ‘Irish’ slophouses next door to it.

It's gradually moved west, into an area that was quite a nice place for locals (& tourists) to go for food, nights out etc, and had become an attractive & peaceful area to live, with lots of buildings converted into decent flats.

It kind of started with O'Neills and has led to the likes of the monstrous "Grace's" (wonder why they chose that name...?), and it has indeed left the area as a no-go area on match days, and one to watch your conversations on non match days.

I sympathise with anyone who lives there as the area has deteriorated quite significantly in recent years - and everyone knows why.

The Council are probably the clientele at Merchant City on match days at the piggery.

I take it you aren’t from Glasgow or don’t go out much?
Wrong on both counts. I don't watch Celtic games in Merchant City or visit the place when they win the league, so I will confess to not being an expert on it. But I do frequent it from time to time.

Back