Merchant City a "No Go Sectarian Area" according to a resident

As part of a licencing board review

Interesting any time a complaint was made by the time the police got there nothing was happening.

Application approved to show sport and no colours allowed in. Can see that being enforced.
The scum play the anti-Irish racism card against anyone who objects to the noise. Disorder and provofest

Well they had to go somewhere after closing a lot of the slop houses in the Gallowgate.
But Iam afraid the trendy city dwellers who have paid top dollar to purchase homes are stuck with them.
It ironic, these middle class intolerant faux progressives of the merchant city champion the so called “downtrodden faux Irish victims” yet don’t want them polluting their social areas, it’s like they do this for effect rather than for a cause.
Remember the crocodile eats the appeaser last!

And I'm sure the other side will say the same if we take over George Square again.

Anyway, this was about an objection to show live sport in a restaurant.
They have taken over the whole of the Merchant city area from after their matches finish to well after midnight when ever they win a title or cup , it was nothing like George Square at all! How you can equate the two I'm not sure, For a start Merchant city is surrounded by residential areas and no Rangers supporters were trying to kick in residents doors or destroying the walls of flats after we won the title and they destroyed the bus shelters.

Taken from the Scottish Sun after they destroyed the Merchant city area.

"A woman who lives in the area said she could not leave her house because fans congregated outside her home and were drinking and kicking her door

Debbie, a university lecturer, who lives in the Merchant City, said: "There was no police when the fans started flowing. Police came later to help with traffic, at around 3pm it was impossible to access the area. I was very upset.

"They were kicking my front door and the shutters of the opticians downstairs."

Meanwhile a video also emerged which appeared to show one fan snorting drugs while sat atop a set of traffic lights".

Last edited:
I take it you aren’t from Glasgow or don’t go out much?
Ive drank in the city centre all my drinking life.
Started down the old Townhead George St,Duke St,High st area never got by the Black Bull after that you would cross that Calton mob now and again.
Long long before the Merchant City came about.
Glasgow cross Saltmarket and Gallowgate were always dangerous areas in my youth.
Thankfully Shuffles and Tiffanys and the top end of the town dragged me away from being a beer drinking lout youth.
Better pubs better nanny.
Now I say to any right thinking Rangers fan.
Ive been down there on the day of a scum match to say I was shocked or better made aware of the situation it really opened my eyes.
That out door bar thing was like a fan zone the pubs round about bell st too.
Granted been down there at night after games and the further you get away from the scum pubs the better the place gets.
But again go down the bottom of Hope street Central area after a scum game the place is polluted with them.
So just beware if you are going into town.
Thankfully these days I just walk by them now when I see them.
3 weeks for a black eye to go now.

Wrong on both counts. I don't watch Celtic games in Merchant City or visit the place when they win the league, so I will confess to not being an expert on it. But I do frequent it from time to time.

I went before Liverpool at Ibrox and the Liverpool fans and scum fans were having a love in all over merchant city.

That coupled with a few other times outside of our match days I’ve seen them loitering in the area is enough for me.

There is no denying they’ve made it an unattractive place. No go maybe a stretch, but certainly unattractive.

They have Taken over the whole of the Merchant city area from after their matches finish to well after midnight when ever they win a title or cup , it was nothing like George Square at all! How you can equate the two I'm not sure, For a start Merchant city is surrounded by residential areas and no Rangers supporters were trying to kick in residents doors or destroying the walls of flats after we won the title .
Or ransacking listed buildings

I'm not from Glasgow, but any time I'm through for a game I usually stay the weekend. The number of Irish republican bars, even in the centre of town, is an absolute embarrassment.

You can conceivably walk into a random bar and be confronted with IRA shite. In Scotland. In the United Kingdom. In 2024.

I'm prepared to bet that the nationalists' hate crime bill will find no issue with IRA murderers being glorified, however.

Wrong on both counts. I don't watch Celtic games in Merchant City or visit the place when they win the league, so I will confess to not being an expert on it. But I do frequent it from time to time.

If you have been anywhere near the Merchant City in the last 5 years (or longer) regardless of it being a match day for them or not, you will see why it’s a Celtic area of the city centre.

From Grace’s in Candleriggs to both Murphy’s and Connolly’s next door to each other on Bell Street and O’Neill’s in the square and then even the Tollbooth, the Merchant City is without a doubt Celtic territory and anyone suggesting it’s not it’s miles off it.

For me you are probably romanticising over a few decent nights out you had decades ago or something.

Don’t go near it now, we used to go down at night in the met bar etc then work our way back across town. Its a slip house zone now

Is there a Rangers pub somewhere around St Enoch? Was walking back to the premier inn in St Enoch after the Celtic game last week and there was a good old loud Rangers/loyalist sing song coming from somewhere

As part of a licencing board review

Interesting any time a complaint was made by the time the police got there nothing was happening.

Application approved to show sport and no colours allowed in. Can see that being enforced.
Knew that Der Berliner place wouldn't last long up there. Didn't fit the demographic for the area.
The Merchant City used to be a vibrant part of the city open to all Not any more !!
Everything they touch turns to shit ..

If you have been anywhere near the Merchant City in the last 5 years (or longer) regardless of it being a match day for them or not, you will see why it’s a Celtic area of the city centre.

From Grace’s in Candleriggs to both Murphy’s and Connolly’s next door to each other on Bell Street and O’Neill’s in the square and then even the Tollbooth, the Merchant City is without a doubt Celtic territory and anyone suggesting it’s not it’s miles off it.

For me you are probably romanticising over a few decent nights out you had decades ago or something.
What a leap this entire post is. Who suggested it wasn't 'Celtic territory'?

I already told you I visit the Merchant City from time to time (the most recent last month for a meal).

If you bought a flat in an area once trumpeted as up-market, you're not going to be impressed with Tim slop shops opening one after another. This hasn't got anything to do with being 'offended'.

The City Centre has gone to the dogs and it now almost seems to be an intentional policy.

Have they?

Only I know of is Bairds and that was a long time ago
The Gate now occupies what was various slophouses, ‘Emerald Isle’ was its last incarnation I think.

Van Winkle replaced The Phoenix which had shamrocks on its signage.

St Luke’s didn’t replace any mentally challenged establishments (used to be an old CoS church I think) but kick started the ‘gentrification’

My sister and brother in law moved out of Merchant City because of the bile they had to witness and endure. They went to a residents association meeting and were basically the only non Tim residents. It's now just an extension of the Gallowgate.

Knew that Der Berliner place wouldn't last long up there. Didn't fit the demographic for the area.
The Merchant City used to be a vibrant part of the city open to all Not any more !!
Everything they touch turns to shit ..
It was pretty shite anyway to be honest. Kebab was average and the Spaten on draft was howling, cloudy with no head.

Put yourself in their shoes for a second. Would you be happy living above one of their boozers, 30+ matchdays every year, especially when there are already plenty for them to choose from in the area? Or would you make it out to be as bad as you possibly can when you object?

Presumably one of our own making an objection, fighting the good fight. And being slated for it. We really are clueless about using the system to our advantage then slag those who do.

Agree with you.

I pass through the Merchant city quite a bit and the place has gone downhill in recent years due to these ratbags polluting the place.

Connolly's bar on Bell Street is an absolute cesspit for those who think they are classy yet end up battling in the street outside their shithouse and singing sectarian songs and verbally abusing passers by.

I knew someone who worked in the nearby Tesco Express and it is often targeted by scum who just walk out with a pile of booze without paying.

They’ve taken what used to be a nice area of town and turned it into a shit hole. They can’t be given anything nice, they don’t know how to keep it nice.
They are all over the city centre, I was walking up Hope Street from Argyle Street a few months back and from virtually Denholms all the way up, the pubs were hoaching with them. It's not just the Merchant city although I know around there it's full of them.

They are all over the city centre, I was walking up Hope Street from Argyle Street a few months back and from virtually Denholms all the way up, the pubs were hoaching with them. It's not just the Merchant city although I know around there it's full of them.
Me and my mates done the VR Racing Sim and the monument and surrounding areas were riddled with them. We walked down to Merchant for scran and pints and all over the square was hoaching with then.

The merchant used to be a cracking night out - fucking dive now thanks to the immigrant hordes.

Wasn't this another plastic German pub that was frequented by the green n grey before they fell out with St Pauli

I like German food and beer. Remember seeing it was open and thinking “I’ll try that place out”

Went on their Facebook and who is opening it?

Martin O’Neill.

Needless to say I haven’t been.

The Barras has seen a lot of gentrification, Merchant City went downhill a long time ago. But there is nowhere in Glasgow city centre that is a 'sectarian no-go are' ffs.

Well they had to go somewhere after closing a lot of the slop houses in the Gallowgate.
But Iam afraid the trendy city dwellers who have paid top dollar to purchase homes are stuck with them.
A sneaky way of GCC letting them away with their more traditional songs( no laughing at the back)
Merchant City used to be such a decent place to go out.

I wonder what our fans from NI think when they read this, considering they did actually have no go areas in their cities controlled by armed paramilitaries. Must think some people over here are absolute big jessies.
The Barras has seen a lot of gentrification, Merchant City went downhill a long time ago. But there is nowhere in Glasgow city centre that is a 'sectarian no-go are' ffs.

I wonder what our fans from NI think when they read this, considering they did actually have no go areas in their cities controlled by armed paramilitaries. Must think some people over here are absolute big jessies.
I reckon there's a host of people on here who are not from Glasgow but will jump on a shitty headline as fact. That and people who don't actually know what no go areas and war zones look like despite seeing footage of Syria, Ukraine etc.

The Gate now occupies what was various slophouses, ‘Emerald Isle’ was its last incarnation I think.
replaced The Phoenix which had shamrocks on its signage.

St Luke’s didn’t replace any mentally challenged establishments (used to be an old CoS church I think) but kick started the ‘gentrification’
Never really classed St Luke's other then they have small gigs despite the name

Been a while since i have been up there but yes that was Emerald Isle was the last name if changed name since didn't realise the The Phoenix has changed name either

Back