Merchant City a "No Go Sectarian Area" according to a resident

I reckon there's a host of people on here who are not from Glasgow but will jump on a shitty headline as fact. That and people who don't actually know what no go areas and war zones look like despite seeing footage of Syria, Ukraine etc.
It's essentially saying Celtic pubs are no go zones for Rangers fans, as if that is something new and shocking.

I reckon there's a host of people on here who are not from Glasgow but will jump on a shitty headline as fact. That and people who don't actually know what no go areas and war zones look like despite seeing footage of Syria, Ukraine etc.

Would you stroll around the Merchant City with a Rangers top on when they have a game on.? I'm not saying drinking in their slophouses, just be in the vicinity of Merchant City, and if not, why not, if it isn't a no go area. ?

It's essentially saying Celtic pubs are no go zones for Rangers fans, as if that is something new and shocking.
It’s actually a tabloid/clickbait headline that is focusing on a quote from a resident using hyperbole to make the point that the area is an absolute hellhole when the t*****s play, don’t know why you’ve got such a problem with it.

"Football fans" and their sectarian singing :rolleyes:

A glance at that article and most people would assume it was us given the media have spent years conditioning people to assume we're always the bad guys

Never really classed St Luke's other then they have small gigs despite the name

Been a while since i have been up there but yes that was Emerald Isle was the last name if changed name since didn't realise the The Phoenix has changed name either
St Luke’s is fine when they’re not playing( was just using it as an example of the type of place that’s popping up in the area while more and more slophouses open in the Merchant City.

Would you stroll around the Merchant City with a Rangers top on when they have a game on.? I'm not saying drinking in their slophouses, just be in the vicinity of Merchant City, and if not, why not, if it isn't a no go area. ?
I don't wear Rangers tops. However if I did I wouldn't have the notion to go to any area populated by Celtic fans on a matchday to mingle with them wearing a Rangers top. It doesn't make Merchant City a no go area, as if I was in merchant city in a pub for a beer, for example Bar91, as a Rangers fan I wouldn't feel unsafe, even if I was wearing something blue.

I don't wear Rangers tops. However if I did I wouldn't have the notion to go to any area populated by Celtic fans on a matchday to mingle with them wearing a Rangers top. It doesn't make Merchant City a no go area, as if I was in merchant city in a pub for a beer, for example Bar91, as a Rangers fan I wouldn't feel unsafe.

The very fact that the Merchant City is miles from the piggery, and still nobody would wear a Rangers top for fear of being attacked, would suggest that the Merchant City, part of the city centre, is indeed a no go zone.

Are you happy with their presence in the heart of the city centre? This isn't about football, it's about people that can't behave themselves making life hell for the residents in the area.
If you choose to live in the inner-city you must accept there is going to be noise and on occasion anti-social behaviour.
Comes with the territory.

It’s actually a tabloid/clickbait headline that is focusing on a quote from a resident using hyperbole to make the point that the area is an absolute hellhole when the t*****s play, don’t know why you’ve got such a problem with it.
Because the "he said she said" nature of Scottish football is so incredibly boring. Glasgow has always, always had areas that are more Rangers or more Celtic. Every city with a divide will have different areas. I doubt poets staying next door to Oswalds would enjoy the singing, but that's life.

I don't wear Rangers tops. However if I did I wouldn't have the notion to go to any area populated by Celtic fans on a matchday to mingle with them wearing a Rangers top. It doesn't make Merchant City a no go area, as if I was in merchant city in a pub for a beer, for example Bar91, as a Rangers fan I wouldn't feel unsafe, even if I was wearing something blue.
Bar 91 is an extremely decent low key boozer

The merchant City isn't as nice as it once was and its obvious why but most of the time is not quite as bad as being made out.

It's not a football hotspot historically or culturally no matter how much rubbish you may wish to post to the contrary however, its becoming more a haven for mutants on match days.

They want these stupid diddly dee pubs all over the city centre.

St Luke’s is fine when they’re not playing( was just using it as an example of the type of place that’s popping up in the area while more and more slophouses open in the Merchant City.
I didn't even thinking of the scum going in there, have only ever classed it as a gig venue - great setting.

Because the "he said she said" nature of Scottish football is so incredibly boring. Glasgow has always, always had areas that are more Rangers or more Celtic. Every city with a divide will have different areas. I doubt poets staying next door to Oswalds would enjoy the singing, but that's life.
Oswalds in that part of town is completely different to people spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on property in what was once an upmarket area of town and seeing it gradually become a surrogate Gallowgate.

I find it absolutely bizarre that people don’t think residents are well within their rights to be disgusted at how downhill the entire area has went.

The Merchant city area has lots of non scum establishments . The black bull , Blackfriars , brewdog, steps bar , Citation ( I think ), Home , Maggie Mays, The Amsterdam bar, The metropolitan ( I think) Granted it has many that are Iraoke bars and I understand that. they don’t own the place and you can avoid their shit holes if you are out that way but you will undoubtedly see the scum around for sure. I do feel sorry for the residents though , must be awful.

The Merchant city area has lots of non scum establishments . The black bull , Blackfriars , brewdog, steps bar , Citation ( I think ), Home , Maggie Mays, The Amsterdam bar, The metropolitan ( I think) Granted it has many that are Iraoke bars and I understand that. they don’t own the place and you can avoid their shit holes if you are out that way but you will undoubtedly see the scum around for sure. I do feel sorry for the residents though , must be awful.
Was in Steps Bar last week actually. Hardly a luxurious establishment but decent enough for cheap drinks

Merchant City is a no go area?

I'm sorry but this is curtain twitching nonsense ffs.
When they took over the cross and the area in general they blocked a major north south road and east west road that stopped ambulances taking the most direct route to and from the royal infirmary. All the bus routes to from the east were either cancelled or rerouted onto minor roads, businesses lost thousands due to them having to shut and repair damage by the jolly craicsters, then we get onto the damage to historic buildings. Normal people couldn't go about their everyday business....

But aye window twitchers....

If you choose to live in the inner-city you must accept there is going to be noise and on occasion anti-social behaviour.
Comes with the territory.
There’s a marked difference between the normal hustle and bustle of an area with lots of bars and restaurants and the dregs of society singing support for terrorists and rolling about the street scrapping.

This area has been allowed to become, through the increasing number of 'Irish ' themed bars, somewhere that attracts people who want to spend their days and nights out in these type of places.
Having been in that part of the city many, many times - going back to Cafe Gandofo in the early 80's - wild horses could not drag me back through those streets these days.
As a side note, the irony of the Police Museum being in Bell St and the exhibits showing the terror and killings by Irish Republicans in the 1920's in the City is palpable.

Last edited:
This area has been allowed to become, through the increasing number of 'Irish ' themed bars, somewhere that attracts people who want to spend their days and nights out in these type of places.
Having been in that part of the city many, many times - going back to Cafe Gandofo in the early 80's - wild horses could not drag me back through those streets these days.
As a side note, the irony of the Police Museum being in Bell St and the exhibits showing the terror and killings by Irish Republicans in the 1920's is palpable.

A policeman was shot dead in the 1920's by Irish terrorists at the High St.

Another slophouse opened not long ago in Glassford St, but suddenly closed down in the last month or so.

Was in Steps Bar last week actually. Hardly a luxurious establishment but decent enough for cheap drinks
I go into Blackfriars pre Barrowland gigs. I remember talking to the bouncer when I was vaping outside and the moonhowlers were in their droves across at Oneills. I asked him if they try and get in Blackfriars and he said they don’t allow football colours. I’m sure the odd one will slip in but it always seems ok to me. I’ve mentioned the other pubs because they are just pubs and cocktail bars but I suppose on match days they might get in. But they are certainly not Ira theme bars.

2018 you had Ashton's Bar & Kitchen then Kavalii Night Club sharing the block with the property in question TriBeCa an American restrurant.
2019 Kavalii had closed down and Ashton's was now Connolly's Irish Bar, TriBeCa still there.
2020 Murphy's takes over the vacant property next to the American shop.
2022 TriBeCa closes down.
2023 Der Berliner moves in then closed suddenly after 10 months.

gm5.png

Reactions: SSR
It's gradually moved west, into an area that was quite a nice place for locals (& tourists) to go for food, nights out etc, and had become an attractive & peaceful area to live, with lots of buildings converted into decent flats.

It kind of started with O'Neills and has led to the likes of the monstrous "Grace's" (wonder why they chose that name...?), and it has indeed left the area as a no-go area on match days, and one to watch your conversations on non match days.

I sympathise with anyone who lives there as the area has deteriorated quite significantly in recent years - and everyone knows why.
Graces, Connelys and Murphys are Provo cesspits, O’Neils is tame in comparison, at least when they were at the Barras they were out the way, now they’re in amongst other bars and restaurants which must be suffering because Friday/Saturday nights are much quieter now when I’ve been working down there, the taxi rank used to be mobbed at closing time, dead now in comparison, no doubt at all they’re ruining the area.

Nonsense. You appear to have forgotten about the merchant city residents who all complained about being stuck in their homes all day and having to listen to Celtic fans who were destroying their flat walls by graffiti, using their back courts as toilets, destroying bus shelters, fighting with each other in the streets, trying to kick in residents doors, again causing damage to the Mercat building, taking over the whole area and making the place unbearable for residents by letting off fireworks, openly taking drugs in the street and singing their pro IRA republican bile for hours.

They dont need to be in the street and take over the whole area stopping the residents getting about their day. The pubs in that area could have sold tickets for their pubs and once they were gone, they were gone but, residents should be allowed to enjoy their own homes without that rabble making life difficult for them
Looks like they will be having this again for a 3rd year running whilst our mealy mouthed SNP politicians / councillors get distracted by squirrels and the GCC accountant won't be on standby to give us a total for the clean up costs.

I work there and it's certainly a no go area before and after a celtic home game. You've got Connollys, Grace's, O'Neills, McChulls and the likes of the Chrystal Bell, Tollbooth nearby. Horrible wee area.

Those pubs are able to broaden the clientele beyond football fans on non football days ie 95% of the time. They can tap into people who are going to gigs, parties, occasions and work do's.

Our pubs in the City Centre choose not to do that and suffered as a result. Anne Millers in particular was an utter dive towards the end.

I for one am gratified that the scum confine themselves to a particular area of the city, so much that its reputation goes before it and Bears can subsequently choose to avoid it.

Not that the Merchant City (I wonder how much longer that designation will last given the slavery connections of those bad old boys?) is a no-go area. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area where everyone, anyone, can have a safe and enjoyable night out.

Still, it's nice to see the Them getting some welcome bad publicity, even if its not front page news.

I for one am gratified that the scum confine themselves to a particular area of the city, so much that its reputation goes before it and Bears can subsequently choose to avoid it.

Not that the Merchant City (I wonder how much longer that designation will last given the slavery connections of those bad old boys?) is a no-go area. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area where everyone, anyone, can have a safe and enjoyable night out.

Still, it's nice to see the Them getting some welcome bad publicity, even if its not front page news.

My great-Granny used to own a large share of the Fruitmarket at Candleriggs Market. She paid for the Fruitbowl Statue above the City Halls.

Oswalds in that part of town is completely different to people spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on property in what was once an upmarket area of town and seeing it gradually become a surrogate Gallowgate.

I find it absolutely bizarre that people don’t think residents are well within their rights to be disgusted at how downhill the entire area has went.
Ah, so our pubs are different. Convenient.

People are complaining about mentally challengeds having pubs.

Yet we have our pubs and that is somehow different.

Greetin faced big wummin
Well; in my previous post I actually explained but I’ll spell it out for you further, since you’re struggling.

One pub, in a non-desirable and non-residential part of town, is not the same as local residents having to suffer as the property they bought in a once desirable and affluent part of the city is slowly but surely surrounded by havens for terrorist loving vermin.

So aye, it is different.

Can’t say I’ve been down that way for a long time. Is it that bad now?
Yes. It's not curtain twitching. Every second pub is a Tim pub with varying shamrocks and green and white lettering. Even outwith match days it's where they now gather.
I'm ok with it in principle, the residents and council need to speak up if they have issues.
But personally I miss the merchant city of my adulthood which was very mixed. I'm not comfortable there now so I don't go. Simples.

Well; in my previous post I actually explained but I’ll spell it out for you further, since you’re struggling.

One pub, in a non-desirable and non-residential part of town, is not the same as local residents having to suffer as the property they bought in a once desirable and affluent part of the city is slowly but surely surrounded by havens for terrorist loving vermin.
There are plenty of areas with decent housing next to football pubs all over the country and city. Some of the most expensive houses in my town is across the road from my local where residents will regularly hear a sash bash going on.

Like everything to do with the scum, everyone wants it shut down but ours to remain open, when its never going to happen.

There are plenty of areas with decent housing next to football pubs all over the country and city. Some of the most expensive houses in my town is across the road from my local where residents will regularly hear a sash bash going on.

Like everything to do with the scum, everyone wants it shut down but ours to remain open, when it’s never going to happen.
‘my town’ suggests you’re not from Glasgow.

I used to live a 5 minute walk away from the area in question. If you had any local knowledge you’d know what the area used to be like and what it’s like now.

This isn’t about one football pub being a bit rowdy occasionally, however much you want it to be so you can accuse people of hypocrisy.

I wonder what our fans from NI think when they read this, considering they did actually have no go areas in their cities controlled by armed paramilitaries. Must think some people over here are absolute big jessies.
It was a quote in the press from a guy who objected to a licence being given.

He could hardly say 'full of mentally challengeds'.

Thirty-odd years ago the Merchant City was being promoted as being at the forefront of the revitalised areas after the slums had been cleared. New continental-style cafes and restaurants were established there.

It wasn't meant to be the new Gallowgate, but that's what councillors have allowed.

People are complaining about mentally challengeds having pubs.

Yet we have our pubs and that is somehow different.

Greetin faced big wummin

This is exactly it. If they were all Rangers pubs, with Rangers fans singing songs and getting drunk in the merchant city they’d have absolutely no problem with it. There would be no “aww, I feel empathy for the poor residents” having to put up with that.

‘my town’ suggests you’re not from Glasgow.

I used to live a 5 minute walk away from the area in question. If you had any local knowledge you’d know what the area used to be like and what it’s like now.

This isn’t about one football pub being a bit rowdy occasionally, however much you want it to be so you can accuse people of hypocrisy.

This is all about GCC allowing a section of Glasgow city centre to be sectioned off as a sectarian ghetto. It is scandalous, tbh.

This is exactly it. If they were all Rangers pubs, with Rangers fans singing songs and getting drunk in the merchant city they’d have absolutely no problem with it. There would be no “aww, I feel empathy for the poor residents” having to put up with that.
Well, no.

I suspect the resident who had complaints about Celtic pubs would feel that Rangers pubs would have a similar effect on his life (not to mention the price of his house).

I'm sensing that a few posters on here don't get the significance of the Merchant City to Glasgow. It's not a case simply of objecting to 'football pubs', but where they are. The Merchant City was the heart of pre-industrialised Glasgow and its regeneration was meant to symbolise the city being re-developed.

Well, no.

I suspect the resident who had complaints about Celtic pubs would feel that Rangers pubs would have a similar effect on his life (not to mention the price of his house).

Exactly, but the posters on here, up in arms about it would not blink an eye if it was Rangers pubs.

Back