Merchant City a "No Go Sectarian Area" according to a resident

They'll have to speak for themselves but I would question whether councillors would allow licences to a group of pubs close together in the city centre that were specifically intended for Rangers fans.

Scott Arfield was refused a licence for a pub near Ibrox due to concerns to residents in local flats. The same concern for residents in Merchant City, however, are way down the priority for GCC.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/23700305.plans-pub-glasgow-beside-Ibrox-stadium-refused/

They'll have to speak for themselves but I would question whether councillors would allow licences to a group of pubs close together in the city centre that were specifically intended for Rangers fans.
Whether they would or they wouldn’t - that’s not the point I’m making.

The Merchant city for any civilised person is indeed a no go. You do however have to know what it’s like before choosing it as a destination. Things will only get worse as more people realise the change that has taken place.

It was formerly a fairly civilised and safe area open to all but things have changed quite dramatically in recent years resulting in a huge drop off in trade for the non bigoted venues. It is now not somewhere I would recommend to anyone and that's a great pity as it was a bustling and vibrant night time destination.

The resident raising his/her concerns has a very valid point as previously the venues and residents lived in harmony however this harmony has vanished since a number of publicans decided to exploit the green pound with absolutely no regard for local residents.

What has happened was entirely predictable but in fairness to GDC Licensing board they cannot object to licences being granted in premises that previously help PH licences.

The area has been allowed to turn into a ghetto because police scotland quite simply refuse to engorce the laws that already exist and turn a blind eye to disorder and drunkenness in licensed premises.

Yes. It's not curtain twitching. Every second pub is a Tim pub with varying shamrocks and green and white lettering. Even outwith match days it's where they now gather.
I'm ok with it in principle, the residents and council need to speak up if they have issues.
But personally I miss the merchant city of my adulthood which was very mixed. I'm not comfortable there now so I don't go. Simples.
I think this is the problem. I'm from outside Glasgow but on a day/night out would happily spend a few hours in Merchant City. I actually quite enjoyed the fact that it was a "neutral" area. However as time has gone on the decline has been obvious. Unfortunately the city centre in general has gone downhill (thanks SNP) More likely to spend a night in Edinburgh now. There does seem to be less bams and bheggars about making for an altogether better experience.

I think many in GCC will be quietly pleased with their “cultural” makeover of the Merchant City by stealth. There is no doubt the atmosphere has changed in this area and not for the better.

I was down the Trongate a few months back on a Saturday morning. Even the beggars were sporting green and grey hoops to fleece their own kind.

Go to any city in the Uk - it’s full of Irish bars.
They’re not full of Yahoos in scum tops screaming about the RA. The streets outside are not full of drunken yobs in scum tops shouting about ‘ Orange bastards ‘.
Unlike the Merchant City.
And they’re not vandalising historical buildings if their team wins a football trophy.

Last edited:
We did have loads and they closed because they didn't get enough customers.
They choose to stick their heads in the sand as the environment around them changed.

As it became clear that you couldn't run pubs based on the takings of 20-30 days, a year the merchant city scum pubs were able to broaden their clientele so their run on non football days. Ours choose not to.

That's not say they are not slop houses they are, they are successful in feigning normality on non scum matchdays.

To do that they tapped into people going for a lunchtime pint/lunch for work, people going to gigs etc.

Meanwhile on here a pub in Paisley was the victim of a pile lead by a certain pub landlord on here because it wasn't in his eyes "a Rangers pub".

What did he mean by that? It wasn't floor to ceiling in memorabilia.

Said pub knew that it could not run based a couple dozen days of takings and tried to broaden its customer base whilst at the time being subtly a Rangers pub.

Last edited:
They choose to stick their heads in the sand as the environment around them changed.

As it became clear that you couldn't run pubs based on the takings of 20-30 days, a year the merchant city scum pubs were able to broaden their clientele so their run on non football days. Ours choose not to.

That's not say they are not slop houses they are, they are successful in feigning normality on non scum matchdays.

To do that they tapped into people going for a lunchtime pint/lunch for work, people going to gigs etc.

Meanwhile on here a pub on Paisley was the victim of a pile on here lead by a certain pub landlord on here because it wasn't in his eyes "a Rangers pub".

Said pub knew that it could not run based a couple dozen days of takings and tried to broaden its customer base whilst at the time being subtly a Rangers pub.
There weren’t any Merchant City scum pubs until recently.

Meanwhile on here a pub on Paisley was the victim of a pile on here lead by a certain pub landlord on here because it wasn't in his eyes "a Rangers pub".

The Merchant City isn't busy every day of the week, mate. Far from it. Most of the peasant pubs are fronts for money laundering, so can afford to take the hit as long as they stay open and look like normal pubs and bars.

They’re not full of Yahoos in scum tops screaming about the RA. The streets outside are not full of drunken yobs in scum tops shouting about ‘ Orange bastards ‘.
Unlike the Metchant City.
And they’re not vandalising historical buildings if their team wins a football trophy.
Glasgow is much more polarized than say Manchester where United may have the majority of Irish origin Mancunians following them but City also have a fair sized minority

I love how the experts on FF are dismissing what the local residents are saying, cos they stepped foot in the area a decade ago.

Used to be a nice place, good for a starting point of a Sat night, first dates etc. Would you baws fancy that now.
Indeed, I expect the people dismissing it are out of towners without the faintest idea about the Merchant City’s past and present.

This is sad to see. The area started going downhill from this perspective around 4-5 years ago. It used to have one Irish pub (O'Neill's) which was fine, just another Irish pub. But then other places opened up which were either brazenly Celtic slop houses or a front for one. Notably on Candleriggs and the Bell St / Albion St junction.

On a match day it's a hovel. There are folk pishing in the street, pishing on the doors and windows of other venues in the area.

This, along with too many student lets and Airbnb rentals, it's an area very much on a downward trend.

This is sad to see. The area started going downhill from this perspective around 4-5 years ago. It used to have one Irish pub (O'Neill's) which was fine, just another Irish pub. But then other places opened up which were either brazenly Celtic slop houses or a front for one. Notably on Candleriggs and the Bell St / Albion St junction.

On a match day it's a hovel. There are folk pishing in the street, pishing on the doors and windows of other venues in the area.

This, along with too many student lets and Airbnb rentals, it's an area very much on a downward trend.
Apparently none of this matters because we’ve got one wee pub at the arse end of town.

In general 'Oirish' bars are good for business too aren't they. Not just in Glasgow but the world over.

You actually believe that GCC would even allow one Rangers pub in Merchant City. ? They won't even allow Scott Arfield to open one at Ibrox.
The whole area is run like a gypsy camp site with their own rules , existing pub owners controlling the area to their liking and having the ear of the already willing council and licensing board.forcing a close shop situation , quite simply any non tim applicants don't get in..The local hoods have been known to have a word with any " complainers ".when the anti British sectarian song sheets are sung.

Last edited:
I love how the experts on FF are dismissing what the local residents are saying, cos they stepped foot in the area a decade ago.

Used to be a nice place, good for a starting point of a Sat night, first dates etc. Would you baws fancy that now.
It's a bizarre stance to have even if it was fans of some other team causing bother.

I think many in GCC will be quietly pleased with their “cultural” makeover of the Merchant City by stealth. There is no doubt the atmosphere has changed in this area and not for the better.

I was down the Trongate a few months back on a Saturday morning. Even the beggars were sporting green and grey hoops to fleece their own kind.
Nothing out of the ordinary.

It was a quote in the press from a guy who objected to a licence being given.

He could hardly say 'full of mentally challengeds'.

Thirty-odd years ago the Merchant City was being promoted as being at the forefront of the revitalised areas after the slums had been cleared. New continental-style cafes and restaurants were established there.

It wasn't meant to be the new Gallowgate, but that's what councillors have allowed.
This is important

Merchant City is a no go area?

I'm sorry but this is curtain twitching nonsense ffs.
I rented one of the smallest places on Candleriggs for 18 months in 2018 as it was literally 1 min walk to work on Albion Street. I have to say it was the coldest flats I have ever stayed in and was during the beast from the east (excuse the pun)

Old Firm day I would have the windows open and tunes blasting out, then walk down to Argyle St and along to the subway. They were queuing up for O'neills and the new slop house on the corner of Candleriggs/Argyle (wasnt long open) from about 10am. Have to say no real bother in the morning as I would walk past scarf on and few comments across the road and fingers given but I'm not sure I would have done it at night on my own. In saying that I used to go to Partick after the game and not get home late in a taxi and it was mostly cleared.

They have opened another one just before Bar Home on the corner, for some reason it opened late one night during Covid and went in with a few of my event team from the EUROS for a last drink and plastered the place in UB stickers till security fucked us out.

So I have to agree with the OP on any match day they are at home and especially OF day it is a republican hell hole and seems to be the area they gather on a league winning day.

You also had that place on High St that was their St Pauli HQ, another new one on Greendyke St (whistler) that masquares as a neutral place during the week.

I believe the Black Bull might still be blue and even the Cottage Bar (think it is gone)

To be fair Boteco used to let bears in with colours after European games and was open to 3am.

Maggie Mays did not.........

Head door man at Boteco was a blue nose so might explain it hahahaha plus the lead bar girl used to wear a bikini :)

Can't blame local residents for not wanting to put up with them.

There is no equivalent Rangers pubs in the city centre that I'm aware of besides Oswalds.

So if we rule out Merchant City where is a decent area to go for one of us (PRW aside)
In the city centre we don't have an area as such nor do we try to infest areas with absolute pits that certain pretend Irish folk like to frequent.

Higher class establishments all the way for many of us :D

I don't wear Rangers tops. However if I did I wouldn't have the notion to go to any area populated by Celtic fans on a matchday to mingle with them wearing a Rangers top. It doesn't make Merchant City a no go area, as if I was in merchant city in a pub for a beer, for example Bar91, as a Rangers fan I wouldn't feel unsafe, even if I was wearing something blue.
Bar 91 does a great pint and as I say I lived about 20m from it.

Merchant City is NOT a no go, I used to walk about all the time down to Macdonals bakers or the tesco with Rangers shirts on but if they at home and specfic time it can be difficult.

I still go to Bar Home if I'm meeting mates for a pint etc....

Also as above, Macdonalds does the best scotch pie anywhere in the town!!

Is Steps Bar not a Rangers Bar on Glassford Street?

This is the thing "Irish Bars" are a novelty across the world and as such GCC will always give a livence to them, as they do generate cash from tourists. Unforunately that means they addopted by fen!ans on a matchday.

There is no real British equilavment, so it up to Rangers fans to adopt bars in the city centre and make them Rangers turf on match day and for our pre European game kick offs. Obviously there is Auctioneers but why not the counting house, raven etc etc Renfrew Bar is staunch but their TV coverage is shit but still a "Rangers Pub"

Horseshoe is that not Rangers inclined?

This is the thing "Irish Bars" are a novelty across the world and as such GCC will always give a livence to them, as they do generate cash from tourists. Unforunately that means they addopted by fen!ans on a matchday.

There is no real British equilavment, so it up to Rangers fans to adopt bars in the city centre and make them Rangers turf on match day and for our pre European game kick offs. Obviously there is Auctioneers but why not the counting house, raven etc etc Renfrew Bar is staunch but their TV coverage is shit but still a "Rangers Pub"

Horseshoe is that not Rangers inclined?
The slophouses in the Merchant city aren't just " Irish bars" though, You have Grace's for example named after Republican terrorist Grace Gifford who took part in the Easter Rising and who was a major player in Sinn Fein. They constantly have pro IRA singers on.

I'm pretty sure the residents in this area have had enough of them now.

The slophouses in the Merchant city aren't just " Irish bars" though, You have Grace's for example named after Republican terrorist Grace Gifford who took part in the Easter Rising and who was a major player in Sinn Fein. They constantly have pro IRA singers on.

I'm pretty sure the residents in this area have had enough of them now.
I agree and I'm quite aware who the slag Grace was, however they get away with it as its old country songs and the tourists love it.

Read above mate, I was resident when Graces first opened.

If you bought a flat in an area once trumpeted as up-market, you're not going to be impressed with Tim slop shops opening one after another. This hasn't got anything to do with being 'offended'.

The City Centre has gone to the dogs and it now almost seems to be an intentional policy.
Whole thing is SNP policy, see the place turn into a sh/thole and blame Westminster for lack of cash. They have slowly but surely killed the place,

Only really frequent the brewdog in Merchant City. Haven’t had any issues when in there over the last 8 years or so. Haven’t ventured further into MC tbh.

You also had that place on High St that was their St Pauli HQ, another new one on Greendyke St (whistler) that masquares as a neutral place during the week.

I believe the Black Bull might still be blue and even the Cottage Bar (think it is gone)
I lived round the corner from Whistler. Used to be a grotty wee slophouse and reopened as what appeared to be a neutral gastropub.

Went in a couple of times with the wife and dug, nice enough place. Then the season started and he started whoring himself out to that lot on match days. Told the owner to ram it and I wouldn’t be back.

The Bull is still safe, College Bar was demolished a couple of years ago. Randomly, the old facade of this is in the crazy golf place in Finnieston (Golf Fang)

Sylvester s and Zhivago's theme pubs were in merchant city in 80 s and 90 s had no connection with them
In fact several Rangers players went to Zhivago's on Saturday night
Use to see them
How things have changed

Back