Merchant City a "No Go Sectarian Area" according to a resident

I used to really enjoy going to that part of town. There were great Indian restaurants, a couple of decent boozers with a nice generally convivial atmosphere.

It has declined rapidly and you can’t mistake the stench as you try to safely navigate your way out of Mordor.

Oversized gawdy murals of pedophile enabling scum players outside pubs, an area where slavering toothless inbreds fall around fawning to a church they never attend and that sing about a country to which most have never been as they chant something about turkeys and allah or some such nonsense.

Must be galling for some decent businesses in that area, especially on game days. Sadly, it is now best avoided.

The culture around football in this country is pathetic.
You say this on so many threads.

Maybe rather than generalising on the original post, perhaps explain why your culture being pathetic applies in this instance.

Are you saying their history of drunkeness, paedophile behavior, thuggery and open support of terrorism is their culture and that's pathetic or its pathetic moaning about it?

Someone wanted more diversity in the area ? Did I read that right ? More migrants in the merchant city ? Really. That individual should take a walk to the four corners and the mess , intimidation and violence there.

The Council have thrown millions at that end of the city. No surprise that the Merchant City is now a sectarian ghetto, with criminality not far away in the slophouses, much like the club they support.
Everything they touch turns to shite, from a town right down to a bowling club.

Good places where people were happy to mix and integrate turn to absolute shite when they come in and eventually take over. Parts of towns, businesses, Pubs, golf clubs, anything at all where they take the majority and fill it with their own eventually goes to ruin. GCC being the prime example.

Everything they touch turns to shite, from a town right down to a bowling club.

Good places where people were happy to mix and integrate turn to absolute shite when they come in and eventually take over. Parts of towns, businesses, Pubs, golf clubs, anything at all where they take the majority and fill it with their own eventually goes to ruin. GCC being the prime example.
Think how much time and money was spent over many years bringing the merchant city back to its former glory. With vibrant new restaurants and bars as well. It was a part of the city centre that showed you how the rest of it should look like. Now, just a few years on, the place has been taken over by the that rabble and the area has become an IRA theme park anytime they are playing. Won't be long til it goes the same way as the Barras.
Everything they touch just turns to shit.

I reckon there's a host of people on here who are not from Glasgow but will jump on a shitty headline as fact. That and people who don't actually know what no go areas and war zones look like despite seeing footage of Syria, Ukraine etc.
Now you're the one taking it over the top.
I don't think any of the posters you mention are taking it in that context
I suggest the area is not a place any self respecting Rangers supporter would like to be when that lot are celebrating.
There is no doubt that the area is infested with pubs sympathetic to them and are best avoided,more so on match days.

You say this on so many threads.

Maybe rather than generalising on the original post, perhaps explain why your culture being pathetic applies in this instance.

Are you saying their history of drunkeness, paedophile behavior, thuggery and open support of terrorism is their culture and that's pathetic or it’s pathetic moaning about it?
The attitude people have towards all football fans in this county is pathetic.

They have their areas, we have our areas, who gives a shit?

I used to stay in the Fraser Suites when I was up in Glasgow for a night out and I’d have a few drinks nearby but I just don’t go near that area anymore. It doesn't hold any interest for me since that mob have taken it over.

McDonald’s Trongate is as far up as I’d go, any further your heading into Tim infested areas which I’m happy to avoid.

Now you're the one taking it over the top.
I don't think any of the posters you mention are taking it in that context
I suggest the area is not a place any self respecting Rangers supporter would like to be when that lot are celebrating.
There is no doubt that the area is infested with pubs sympathetic to them and are best avoided,more so on match days.
Do you read the numerous threads on Glasgow and Glasgow city centre? Folk (not from Glasgow) go wild on it.

Used to love Merchant City as my office was there, we’d go for pints after work and before Europa ties, it started being overrun by the vermin however.

Not been in a long time now, Glasgow in general I avoid. Tend to drink locally and head in now.
West end or Partick for me now. They should never have been allowed to go beyond the bars they had.

It seems like every time a pub or food place closes there it opens back up as a hiddly diddly O'reilys or some such gash.

I’ve lived on Ingram Street for several years, a little removed from the Irish bars down towards the east side - yes during or after a match it’s full of their usual bile but the rest of the time and the rest of the area is fine, never had any problems

Think how much time and money was spent over many years bringing the merchant city back to its former glory. With vibrant new restaurants and bars as well. It was a part of the city centre that showed you how the rest of it should look like. Now, just a few years on, the place has been taken over by the that rabble and the area has become an IRA theme park anytime they are playing. Won't be long til it goes the same way as the Barras.
Everything they touch just turns to shit.
It’s coming and it’s because GCC want it to happen. The council is riddled.

I’ve lived on Ingram Street for several years, a little removed from the Irish bars down towards the east side - yes during or after a match it’s full of their usual bile but the rest of the time and the rest of the area is fine, never had any problems
That’s exactly what I’d expect to be honest. Thread is similar to the various London is a no go zone threads that appear in the Lounge from time to time.

Celtic, their fans and sectarian mentioned in the same sentence, well I never!
I was arguing with one of the wallopers the other day and apparently what they sing isnt sectarian, its political. How many layers of ignorance have you got to get through to appeal to the common sense of an individual like that.

Why are so many bars closing then?
Merchant City is a changed place from the original concept.
Overheads, rent, lack of people going into the city centre etc.

Merchant City has changed, and nobody (I think) is saying otherwise. The only dispute is that it's a 'no go area'.

Overheads, rent, lack of people going into the city centre etc.

Merchant City has changed, and nobody (I think) is saying otherwise. The only dispute is that it's a 'no go area'.
Maybe some people should look beyond the words of a resident exaggerating to make a point during their opposition.

This pishy wee point keeps being blown out of the water but you keep making it because you’re seemingly upset at the way football fans are treated in general.

You’re not from Glasgow, you don’t know what you’re talking about, give it a rest.
Not overly sure where Rangers fans areas are in city centre.

Thought we should go anywhere without caring.

Some people's idea of culture and what is OK and normal is wildly different from others it seems.

I used to work in that area.

I used to enjoy going for a pint in the various pubs.

There was ony one if remember called Kilkenny's which was so called Irish.

Nevertheless as the night wore on, I found it uncomfortable drinking in the area, and I'd head out to the west end. But it wasn't because it was a Celtic infested area. It certainly wasn't then.

It might have been that I remember the way it used to be, when there was zilch social life and it was run down and unattractive.

Sorry to hear about these Irish themed pubs. They're not touristy pubs like that are in other cities. They are sectarian. Horrible places.

Last edited:
I was arguing with one of the wallopers the other day and apparently what they sing isnt sectarian, its political. How many layers of ignorance have you got to get through to appeal to the common sense of an individual like that.

Yep, the PIRA death squads were only " political. "

Back