Press Conference Michael Beale interview - Motherwell game

From the first minute we were poor and then the first notable change is to replace a winger with pace with a center half.

He's a charlatan.

In fairness (and I agree he’s a charlatan) he explained that change and it’s one I agree with because he’s saying he decided to go 3 at the back to push everyone up and get us on the ball more

I totally get that

The issue is, it’s on the ball more to his players who are then lost by his instructions and either finished or the shite he’s signed - that’s the issue for me

In fairness (and I agree he’s a charlatan) he explained that change and it’s one I agree with because he’s saying he decided to go 3 at the back to push everyone up and get us on the ball more

I totally get that

The issue is, it’s on the ball more to his players who are then lost by his instructions and either finished or the shite he’s signed - that’s the issue for me
I get what he was trying to do but we ended up with 5 defenders plus Lundstrum in front of them.

He went in with a game plan and that wouldn't have changed if Matondo hadn't got injured so f**k knows why he decided to go with something different at that stage in the game.

I agree totally with your point on the players.

Another thing that pissed me off today was bringing Rice on.

Who in their right mind would bring a 16yr old boy, regardless of how good he is, into a game that we are struggling in and trying to defend a 1 goal lead.

It would help if he could get them to pass to teammates and not the opposition.
Actually, I have changed my mind. Tonight the players, let the manager down, apart from Butland and Lundstram were and should have their wages docked and sent to a charity.

I totally get that

Can you explain it please? How does that get attacking players forward? Why would we want tav and barasic forward? To do what?

Midfield of two players will never work. Will only work if you replace tav and barasic for two midfielders.

We played 5 at the back

Can you explain it please? How does that get attacking players forward? Why would we want tav and barasic forward? To do what?

Midfield of two players will never work. Will only work if you replace tav and barasic for two midfielders.

We played 5 at the back
Because it sacrifices one at the back, pushes the full-backs forward.

It's not rocket science whether you agree with it or not.

The issue as you touch on very last line is that the instructions are so bad and the players are so lost that it can look like we're 5 at the back.

I'm talking about how the idea, in principle is OK.

Because it sacrifices one at the back, pushes the full-backs forward.

It's not rocket science whether you agree with it or not.

The issue as you touch on very last line is that the instructions are so bad and the players are so lost that it can look like we're 5 at the back.

I'm talking about how the idea, in principle is OK.
Sacrifices who at the back?

Actually can't listen to him anymore. Talks a lot of nonsense, overexplains things, and generally contradicts himself

I get what he was trying to do but we ended up with 5 defenders plus Lundstrum in front of them.

He went in with a game plan and that wouldn't have changed if Matondo hadn't got injured so f**k knows why he decided to go with something different at that stage in the game.
Indeed.

No matter what bullsh*t some try to heap onto us, that wasn't three at the back, that was five-at-the-back stuff today, plus defensive midfielders dropping back.

At a stroke, by removing a more forward player (injured obviously) and NOT replacing him with like-for-like (or at least somebody with a notion of attacking prowess), we went defensive.
Not the best playing part of our team, no matter what some might say.

And as you say, why the very drastic alteration ?

Players out of position, odd starting selections, ludicrous "tactical" setups.
I do feel like I've seen this film before.

If you go from 4 at the back to 3 at the back, then in theory you are sacrificing one person.

Amazed I had to type that out, even to someone to someone on Follow Follow :D
So you don't know?

We didn't sacrifice one single defender nor defensive midfielder. We added an extra one.

Amazed you can't see the difference between reality and the theory you made up.

Indeed.

No matter what bullsh*t some try to heap onto us, that wasn't three at the back, that was five-at-the-back stuff today, plus defensive midfielders dropping back.

At a stroke, by removing a more forward player (injured obviously) and NOT replacing him with like-for-like (or at least somebody with a notion of attacking prowess), we went defensive.
Not the best playing part of our team, no matter what some might say.

And as you say, why the very drastic alteration ?

Players out of position, odd starting selections, ludicrous "tactical" setups.
I do feel like I've seen this film before.
I said before that i understand what he was trying to do but I've no idea why he was trying to do that with the players at his disposal.

With Matondo going off we then had

Souter-Goldson-Davies
Tav-Borna
Lundstrum-Cifeuntes
Wright-Lammers
Dessers

Arguably 7 defensive players and a mis-firing other 3 playing against motherwell at Ibrox ffs.

Beales time must surely be up after that shit show.

Actually, I have changed my mind. Tonight the players, let the manager down, apart from Butland and Lundstram were and should have their wages docked and sent to a charity.
Nah, the players were picked by the manager, the tactics were implemented by the manager, its all down to him

He spoke well there given circumstances.

But, that means f*ck all - as despite all the acknowledgments that things aren’t going well not much is changing.

I agree with him that moments of really poor quality and decision making are really costing us. What he fails to also mention is that lack of options and decisions that are available at other points are due to our formation and style of play.

Last edited:
Nah, the players were picked by the manager, the tactics were implemented by the manager, its all down to him
Neither he or the squad he has assembled are anywhere near good enough. He doesn't have any answers because there aren't any. He's blaming injuries but that isn't new at Rangers. His big signings Dessers and Lammers have been a complete disaster. Our squad is full of second rate players and he chose them.

I totally get that

At one point we had 2 FBs, 3 CBs and 3 defensive midfielders on the pitch. Playing a 3-5-2 is fine but not when you don’t have the players on the pitch to do it.

He tried to be smart and overthink things rather than just replace Matondo. Even playing Matondo on the right and Wright on the left was bizarre, even more bizarre was the fact Wright seemed to be almost central most the time leaving Barisic with nobody in front of him.

At one point we had 2 FBs, 3 CBs and 3 defensive midfielders on the pitch. Playing a 3-5-2 is fine but not when you don’t have the players on the pitch to do it.

He tried to be smart and overthink things rather than just replace Matondo. Even playing Matondo on the right and Wright on the left was bizarre, even more bizarre was the fact Wright seemed to be almost central most the time leaving Barisic with nobody in front of him.
That's what I mean.

The thinking and rationale behind it is fine, but when you can't communicate simple instructions to players or overthink/overcomplicate and confuse them then forget it.

But the idea of going 3 at the back, pushing up and getting us on the ball more is sound in principle.

That's what I mean.

The thinking and rationale behind it is fine, but when you can't communicate simple instructions to players or overthink/overcomplicate and confuse them then forget it.

But the idea of going 3 at the back, pushing up and getting us on the ball more is sound in principle.
The problem is we didn’t push up, we still had midfielders dropping back to receive the ball, Tav and Borna weren’t any further up than they usually are and we had Scott Wright as a central midfielder. It was a shambles.

Anyone else would have replaced Matondo with Sima. Beale might claim him and Roofe had niggles but if that’s the case then why are they being brought on later in the game? Especially with Roofes injury history.

The problem is we didn’t push up, we still had midfielders dropping back to receive the ball, Tav and Borna weren’t any further up than they usually are and we had Scott Wright as a central midfielder. It was a shambles.

Anyone else would have replaced Matondo with Sima. Beale might claim him and Roofe had niggles but if that’s the case then why are they being brought on later in the game? Especially with Roofes injury history.
Beale is an absolute mess

He looked very uncomfortable in the interview directly after the game, very fidgety. In the later sit down he seemed to be calmer but I think it's clear he's feeling the pressure.

Boos after a win... usually doesn't end well, and wonder how long this will continue for.

He's a charlatan.
He doesnt have the charisma of The Charlatans.

Whatever the result/performance its the same bland delivery. Monotone. Boring. Excuses. Drivel.

The players are listening to this pre-match and at half-time.

Is it any wonder they play as they do?

Judas?

Tellin' Stories?

We certainly all have Blackened Blue Eyes.

He spoke well there given circumstances.

But, that means f*ck all - as despite all the acknowledgments that things aren’t going well not much is changing.

I agree with him that moments of really poor quality and decision making are really costing us. What he fails to also mention is that lack of options and decisions that are available at other points are due to our formation and style of play.
Without a doubt, but who is responsible for that?

The players don’t look well drilled at all to me. We’re almost into October and there’s still no understanding between them. That’s down to the coaching for me.

I just don’t see any evidence of patterns of play that are straight from the training ground with crisp one touch triangles and interchanges, etc.

It should be becoming second nature by this point, but we still resemble a team of strangers.

So the lack of quality is all on the manager for me. He bought them, he trains them, he picks them.

This 100%. Borna and tav didn’t seem to get the memo that we had went 3 at the back. Their starting positions were still in line with the back 3 and they never pushed right up. It was an absolute mess especially when you factor in playing 3 holding midfielders

So basically we’re rubbish and getting worse and we.ll have to right off the season because of all our injuries again somethings rotten in the state of Denmark comes down to our new players are crap and not up to playing at a level where they don’t break down constantly either with an injury or the weight of the shirt on their backs.

How long do we listen to that was poor, or large parts of the game were poor, we need to improve. Where’s the improvement?

He doesnt have the charisma of The Charlatans.

Whatever the result/performance its the same bland delivery. Monotone. Boring. Excuses. Drivel.

The players are listening to this pre-match and at half-time.

Is it any wonder they play as they do?

Judas?

Tellin' Stories?

We certainly all have Blackened Blue Eyes.

How High is Beale going to take us?
Man needs to be told that it’s Impossible for him at the moment and that’s why he should Feel the Pressure!

I agree totally with your point on the players.

Another thing that pissed me off today was bringing Rice on.

Who in their right mind would bring a 16yr old boy, regardless of how good he is, into a game that we are struggling in and trying to defend a 1 goal lead.
His decision to bring on the young lad Rice was terrible.This will do the young guys career no good at all.This looks like a manager trying to get the fans back on his side -saying look i am bringing on the youth players.

Without a doubt, but who is responsible for that?

The players don’t look well drilled at all to me. We’re almost into October and there’s still no understanding between them. That’s down to the coaching for me.

I just don’t see any evidence of patterns of play that are straight from the training ground with crisp one touch triangles and interchanges, etc.

It should be becoming second nature by this point, but we still resemble a team of strangers.

So the lack of quality is all on the manager for me. He bought them, he trains them, he picks them.
I agree on patterns of play part, particularly when playing out from keeper and in our own half.

But I’m talking decisions like being faced with a basic pass in a 2v1 Dessers can’t pick out his team-mate. From limited training stuff we get to do, we do loads of counter attack stuff and overloads, yet they’re horrific on the park.

Talking Borna blazing the ball over the bar with his right foot when he had loads of other options in an attack.

The lack of options we have to change games in attack and the over reliance on full backs are big problems and both are on Beale. Some of the basic sh*t we are seeing going wrong on pitch is entirely on players though.

My guess is him getting angry at the players will just make things worse, they are clearly not getting the direction they need

He's a slaver.
Whinges about not being good enough from first minutes.
Yet does nothing to change it.

Blames Matondo injury as really affecting the performance..
This was a player that was told to find himself a new club not so long ago.

Blames the fact he has players injured...
Every club has injuries, dessers alone probably cost more that that whole Motherwell team that had us pinned back and clinging on for last 20 mins. Yesterday.

He was completely stumped when Stevie Clifford pressed him about spouting on previously about wanting to play with the hand brake off.

Plain and simple is Beale and his coaching staff are way way out their depth, Thursday nights result papered over the cracks for 5 minutes.
He slavers on like one of the idots you see on the apprentice that pretend they know what they are talking about with their shite soundbytes.

As shite as Livingston are they will come on Wednesday and play very similarly to what what we saw from Motherwell yesterday and the mutton molestors have played very well their last 2 games so will have no fear coming to Ibrox at the weekend.

There's a real chance that Beale doesn't survive in his job for another week imo.

I agree on patterns of play part, particularly when playing out from keeper and in our own half.

But I’m talking decisions like being faced with a basic pass in a 2v1 Dessers can’t pick out his team-mate. From limited training stuff we get to do, we do loads of counter attack stuff and overloads, yet they’re horrific on the park.

Talking Borna blazing the ball over the bar with his right foot when he had loads of other options in an attack.

The lack of options we have to change games in attack and the over reliance on full backs are big problems and both are on Beale. Some of the basic sh*t we are seeing going wrong on pitch is entirely on players though.
I look back to the way we played under Gerrard when Beale was supposedly the guy in charge of training and tactics. There was an obsession with retaining and recycling possession and although it could degenerate into aimless pedestrian mode all too easily, for the most part we were very good at knocking the ball around rarely giving it away, even against sides that were meant to be superior to us.

Compare that to yesterday where there was an almost comical inability to string more than three or four passes together, and that’s mostly been the case since pre-season.

I don’t buy that the players we’ve bought are just hopeless and unable to do the basics. They may not be top drawer talents (and for £4-5m you’re not going to get them anyway), but they can’t be the complete turkeys they appear to be.

So it has to be the training for my money.

I think Beale started out with a vision in mind for this season but quickly binned it when he realised it wasn’t remotely working, but it’s left him unsure how he wants us to play and the indecision is infecting the players.

I’ve watched football long enough to know that it tends to take a really special manager to turn around something this disjointed and directionless, and Beale ain’t that guy.

Back