Mickey Weir and Rangers

mdingwall

Administrator
I've got a lot of time for Mickey - he's one of the few former inmates of the religious apartheid system to have the bottle to take a public stand against it.

I recall an anti-Sectarian event at Hampden where he gave the organisers more than they bargained for when he said "I was taught to hate Protestants at school" - don't think he's been invited back since.

Cowdenbeath were up in Orkney for pre season (no laughing at the back) few years back, 2003 it I mind right , Mickey was assistant to Keith Wright, pair of them were top class as was the part time Billy big boys, what stood out was the time and effort they put in with the local community..

Spoken to him a few times as his son played for the same team as mine. A genuinely honest, humble and down to earth guy. I'm sure his son has joined the armed forces.

Over the years, out of boredom I guess, I've read a lot of footballers biographies including Billy McNeill and Paulo di Canio.

In McNeills he said one of the things he loved about living in Aberdeen, when manager, was that you had no idea what religion people were because all the kids went to the same school.

In di Canios he said he was amazed to find when he came to Glasgow that the children were sent to different schools based on religion.

Despite comments such as these, non catholics get labelled bigots when they bring up the issue!

I played with a team at amateur level that he coached- he seemed to be a genuine bloke

What a great player he was.
Hibs had some good players back in the day when we played them.

Cop 26

Yet we’ve still got hundreds of buses taking kids past many schools to get to a RC school

Brought this up on the golf course one day and one lad refused to talk about it and never spoke to me again.

Cop 26

Yet we’ve still got hundreds of buses taking kids past many schools to get to a RC school

Brought this up on the golf course one day and one lad refused to talk about it and never spoke to me again.
No loss then .

He was one of the 80s players that was of a standard to get in any premier club squad. Sounds like he was a good guy too.

I always thought he had a spell at Falkirk, wiki says Motherwell though.

Over the years, out of boredom I guess, I've read a lot of footballers biographies including Billy McNeill and Paulo di Canio.

In McNeills he said one of the things he loved about living in Aberdeen, when manager, was that you had no idea what religion people were because all the kids went to the same school.

In di Canios he said he was amazed to find when he came to Glasgow that the children were sent to different schools based on religion.

Despite comments such as these, non catholics get labelled bigots when they bring up the issue!
It could well be my ignorance but I would have thought schooling in Italy would have been of the like it or lump it variety. I don't recall Italy, unlike France going down the secular route.

As I say, that could well be my complete lack of knowledge on the subject coming well to the fore.

PS, it didn't take the little fascist long at the cesspit to state referees were biased against the filth.

Shutting separate schools was part of the Green party’s election manifesto not that long ago but i guess that will have been ditched seeing they are officially in bed with the snp now
We could have better pupil:teacher ratio and also save a huge amount on property.

It really is time to remove a faith element from state funded schools. Or should I correct myself - enforced Catholicism paid for by the taxpayer.

Cop 26

There is a simple truth in the lie that the Catholic Irish diaspora are prejudiced against in Scotland and that is that the louder they cried oppression the more leeway and power they garnered. By rendering themselves ‘separate’ from the populous at large they have deliberately created this siege mentality which has served the diocese very well in keeping the flock together.

This particular flavour of diaspora is like a parasite wherever it ends up, supplanting the local culture with their inferior culture through cultural imperialism. This by gaining control of the levers of power and organs of information (disinformation) on their part. The diocese used to give its block vote to Labour until it was no longer prudent to so do.

It is now given to the nationalists, this does not best suit their aim to agitate from inside the seat of British government…As they did within the Labour Party. Though it has been expedient to allow them to hold onto apartheid schooling, protect the filth from the now impending disaster of the child abuse scandal and much more. Strange that the the only nationalism they previously shouted about was Irish nationalism.

By challenging one of the central tenets of their control through cultural imperialism, you hit a raw nerve of an argument they can’t win…Especially when they call those who’d happily have their kids got to school together the bigots!!

In every discussion programme I've ever watched or listened to about the future of Northern Ireland, the ending of segregated schools is always brought up and agreed with. But in Scotland, mention it and you're immediately labeled a bigot.

But until RC parents are prepared to break the mould I'm afraid separate schooling is with us for pretty much ever.

I genuinely mean this but as a kid growing up he was one of those non rangers players that I actually quite liked as a player.

Can't understand for the life of me why we have separated schools based on religion .
In Coatbridge we have 3 brand new High Schools with 1 of them a public school ( Some people call them Protestant schools, they are not they are open to everyone) and non RC kids in Townhead,Kirkshaws,Kirkwood and Shawhead all have to pass the RC schools in buses and parents cars to get to school.
Scottish governments past ,present and future WILL or did not change it as it's a vote loser.

There is a simple truth in the lie that the Catholic Irish diaspora are prejudiced against in Scotland and that is that the louder they cried oppression the more leeway and power they garnered. By rendering themselves ‘separate’ from the populous at large they have deliberately created this siege mentality which has served the diocese very well in keeping the flock together.

This particular flavour of diaspora is like a parasite wherever it ends up, supplanting the local culture with their inferior culture through cultural imperialism. This by gaining control of the levers of power and organs of information (disinformation) on their part. The diocese used to give its block vote to Labour until it was no longer prudent to so do.

It is now given to the nationalists, this does not best suit their aim to agitate from inside the seat of British government…As they did within the Labour Party. Though it has been expedient to allow them to hold onto apartheid schooling, protect the filth from the now impending disaster of the child abuse scandal and much more. Strange that the the only nationalism they previously shouted about was Irish nationalism.

By challenging one of the central tenets of their control through cultural imperialism, you hit a raw nerve of an argument they can’t win…Especially when they call those who’d happily have their kids got to school together the bigots!!
I normally say when I get into the debate.
I was a bus driver years ago and would drive 7-8-9 year olds past several schools so they could go to another school.
Buses from Bo’ness and Denny passing several schools.
I hit them with my best m8 growing up in the streets with,once we hit a certain again we were segregated for school.
Why?

Shouldn’t school be for schooling
Churches etc be for their parents to take them.

Then I’m the bigot.

I normally say when I get into the debate.
I was a bus driver years ago and would drive 7-8-9 year olds past several schools so they could go to another school.
Buses from Bo’ness and Denny passing several schools.
I hit them with my best m8 growing up in the streets with,once we hit a certain again we were segregated for school.
Why?

Shouldn’t school be for schooling
Churches etc be for their parents to take them.

Then I’m the bigot.
Absolutely, school should be a place where innocents get educated and stay insulated from religion and politics. Unfortunately in Scotland kids are used as pawns in a cynical religious/political game which creates division and mistrust from a very young age.

There was a joke that the Hibs dressing room got broken into and Mickey's gear was left untouched. :))
I bought a house as a repossession a while ago and it was weird, plates in the sink, kids toys on the floor, fvck knows what shape the guy was that had the house before because in the wardrobe his trousers were the same width as they were long, they were a 54" waist, he might have been a clown, sorry it has nothing to do with Micky Weir apart from short legs.

Absolutely, school should be a place where innocents get educated and stay insulated from religion and politics. Unfortunately in Scotland kids are used as pawns in a cynical religious/political game which creates division and mistrust from a very young age.
The old saying

Children aren’t born racist-bigoted

Billy Connelly my first sectarianism I seen was our schools battling each other

I remember our high school would wait for the St Minho’s buses

Google Falkirk high v St Minho’s Falkirk stadium

The old saying

Children aren’t born racist-bigoted

Billy Connelly my first sectarianism I seen was our schools battling each other

I remember our high school would wait for the St Minho’s buses

Google Falkirk high v St Minho’s Falkirk stadium
I remember being called a proddy dog because I went to a non denominational school, this by the pupils of a large Catholic secondary school. It was kind of shocking to me as I was brought up in a mixed household and had no such prejudice. I am not saying it was all one way, but I think it was far removed from how the diaspora would have us believe today.

I remember being called a proddy dog because I went to a non denominational school, this by the pupils of a large Catholic secondary school. It was kind of shocking to me as I was brought up in a mixed household and had no such prejudice. I am not saying it was all one way, but I think it was far removed from how the diaspora would have us believe today.
That’s the point.

They’re always the victims

They like to tell everyone.

Shutting separate schools was part of the Green party’s election manifesto not that long ago but i guess that will have been ditched seeing they are officially in bed with the snp now
The problem with that is, there are far too many non-denominational Schools to be closed down. :rolleyes:

Sat next to Weir at a Scotland U-16 years ago. He blethered away the whole game. Seemed a really decent guy. I didn’t recognise him at the time, wasn’t until after the game my mate sitting on the other side told me :D

A Green party councillor in my area (South Lanarkshire) was called every name under the sun for complaining about the costs of bussing catholic children from outlying areas (Biggar, Carnwath, Kirkmuirhill etc) to Holy Cross in Hamilton. These areas all had non denominational schools that the children could have went to.

She got utter dogs abuse from the diocese for this especially from the most bigoted front bottom I had the misfortune to meet (Bishop Joseph Devine).

You copied and pasted that from your dissertation, didn't you?

In WoS there were state schools which any child could attend and there were catholic schools.

I used to hate that wee bassa, but mainly because he was so good against us.
I regret to say went to the games he was playing and he was always called 'Mickey Bastard'. Not something I would join in with now

Imagine a country where children went to a different school from their mates based on the fucked up beliefs of their parents. Syria? Afghanistan?
It makes no fucking sense.

A strange one is Hawick one RC Primary school but there is not a RC Secondary in the town and all the weans go to the same school Hawick High edit it was shut in 2018 St Margarets capacity was 100 and had a roll of 14 out of them 10 had been baptised RC's

Last edited:
Boy I work with now is quite open about how he was threatened with “being sent to school with the Protestants” when he acted up at school.

My memory may be failing me somewhat, but I seem to recall that Weir was the first player to remonstrate with the referee when Gazza was booked for giving him the yellow card he had accidentally dropped. I remember thinking that was very sporting considering Weir was playing for the opposition. We won 7-0 and was the last time I was at Ibrox. 1995 I think.

Good article. Nice wee read that.

I remember he went to Luton as "MIckey" and came back to Hibs as "Michael".

He was #2 at Bathgate Thistle for a bit - but, doesn't seem to be any more (#1 was other ex Hibee Kevin McKee).

Cop 26

Exact same experience I had. Don’t know what it is going to take if things are to change.

Back