Minutes applause on Thursday

My grandad passed away last weekend at 86, a lifelong rangers fan and ex armed forces(RAF). His funeral is on thursday so most of my family are down in London, so we're missing the game. Would be greatly appreciated if we could see a minutes applause on the 86th min in his memory. It would mean the world to my nan to watch the game on the telly with her whole family and hear a round of applause on the day of his funeral.

Don't see the harm in it. Nice for the families who have lost folk and doesn't cause anyone any bother. If you don't like it feel free to not clap.

Absolutely agree with you, but what if the club receive a dozen or so requests for the same at our next home game? Do we applaud each individually or take them en bloc? If we approve 1 we must approve them all. It has a danger of getting out of hand.

Whilst I don’t see the harm in it and have great sympathy for the OP’s loss I do see what some of the other posters are getting at as well.

It’s a horribly sad fact of life that we will have season ticket holders dying almost every week. I think that these tributes are more appropriate for former players or staff of the club.

I’m sorry for your loss OP, may he rest in peace.

Sad news OP, may your Grandad rest easy and your wish be honoured.

jt9x1w.jpg

Absolutely agree with you, but what if the club receive a dozen or so requests for the same at our next home game? Do we applaud each individually or take them en bloc? If we approve 1 we must approve them all. It has a danger of getting out of hand.
This is the sad truth. There's another request for a minutes applause on the 18th minute on Thursday night on Twitter. What if there's another? And another? Who's to say who is more deserving than others? I think we should perhaps consider having a minutes applause before the final league game of the season at Ibrox for ALL those from the Rangers family who have sadly passed away through the season.

This is the sad truth. There's another request for a minutes applause on the 18th minute on Thursday night on Twitter. What if there's another? And another? Who's to say who is more deserving than others? I think we should perhaps consider having a minutes applause before the final league game of the season at Ibrox for ALL those from the Rangers family who have sadly passed away through the season.
That is a very good idea. A few mins to name and show appreciation got lost bears

There’s requests every week now for an applause

Whilst I sympathise with the families I don’t believe we should be doing one every week. At this rate there would be a few on thursdays

A new trait this.

Fully agree, leave until the end of the season and maybe show pictures on the big screens of all the Rangers family that have sadly passed away.

Actually a really good idea.

That’s a really good idea. Could even put names on the screen or something.

This is a good idea TBH. A few minutes at the end of every season to remember and celebrate the lives of all the Bears who have passed during that season.

As other have pointed out, it could get out of hand with requests if the club done this for other people.

Sorry for your loss OP, I'm sure yous are all proud of what your Granddad achieved in his life and what he done for his country.

May he Rest In Peace.

While this thread may seem an insensitive place for the discussion, it does need to be had. I was up at St Johnstone on the final day of season 16/17 and at half time they read out the names of fans who had passed away during the season, and put the names on the electronic board too. Home and away fans stood and showed their respects by observing silence and then applauding. Perhaps this is something we should look at. It is a sad fact that we have fans who die every day, we simply can't do a minutes applause for them all, and with the greatest of respect, in the final minutes of a huge European game my thoughts certainly aren't going to be on an elderly gentleman that I didn't even know existed dying

Brilliant idea

Very sorry for your loss OP. Hope the service is a lovely memorial for your grandad.

I agree that there needs to be a discussion about this type of memorial applause though. I’m sure there are fans dying each week. This thread is not the place for it though.

Sorry for your loss OP.

As others have said, it’s been done to death now though. Pardon the pun.

It should have been limited to ex-players / legends and the occasional situation where a fan (like the fellow who died in the bus crash) passes in tragic circumstances. Even then though it’s hard to quantify the level of what qualifies.

The ideas of reading the names at the end of the season or having a message on the boards is a great one

ST holders can have a message put up at H/T on the scoreboard screen. May not be on day of funeral but the message would be seen.

I think this is a great idea allowing us to show respect for all.

I agree. This is something that should be suggested to the club, perhaps via the SLO.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

I think the best way to do it, should be the last home game of the year. Before the start of the game, put all the names of Bears who have passed away on the big screens and observe a minute of silence. Think it would be more fitting before the new year as it’s more traditional to remember absent friends at that time.

Don’t agree with applause, should always be silence to remember lives.

I'm so sorry about your loss but I think some have a point. If we are getting beat on Thursday there will be no mood for a round of applause at the 86th minute (the subway loyal will have disappeared for starters) and I wouldn't like to see your family upset. Perhaps another time would be better as others have stated, at the beginning or half time. I will go with what ever is decided but there's a huge potential to be let down with that timing.

My grandad passed away last weekend at 86, a lifelong rangers fan and ex armed forces(RAF). His funeral is on thursday so most of my family are down in London, so we're missing the game. Would be greatly appreciated if we could see a minutes applause on the 86th min in his memory. It would mean the world to my nan to watch the game on the telly with her whole family and hear a round of applause on the day of his funeral.

I would like to apologise for my comment last night!
It was disrespectful and neither the time or place to raise the subject, for this I sincerely apologise.

I think the best way to do it, should be the last home game of the year. Before the start of the game, put all the names of Bears who have passed away on the big screens and observe a minute of silence. Think it would be more fitting before the new year as it’s more traditional to remember absent friends at that time.

Yep, silence is absolutely the way to go. It doesn’t sit well with me applauding death.

Problem with that,we have celtic every second year.
I like the idea of doing the names on the big screen and a minutes applause say 5 mins before last home game of the season

This.

It's a sensitive subject but I think any one who has requested a minutes applause already,should have it.I agree the way to go say from the end of this year is to have a tribute on the big screens at the last home game before the end of the year.I would also go with the applause as the names come up on the screen.A minutes silence is fine for someone you no and it gives you a short period to reflect on their life,but most will be unknown to the majority of the crowd and I think the relatives will be heartened by 50000 Bears applauding Their loved one.

we remember serving and those we have lost in all conflicts twice each year, every day we lose another Bear maybe more so clapping wouldn't work as too many fans would be looking for it, we remember fans who may have lost their life on match day journeys for what ever reason.

yes it would be great if we did but it would be never ending, last game of the season at half time run names across big screen and celebrate their lives.

Yep, silence is absolutely the way to go. It doesn’t sit well with me applauding death.
went to my first ever humanist funeral for a 13 year old child on Monday and it was all stories of her life and the character she was, smiles and laughter didn't feel right remembering her the way she was but some how it was nice send off for a little girl that there never a dull moment in her little life. like you i believe in the minutes silence for funerals and and come november the 11th as its the right thing todo but sometimes the remembering what someone gave us and many others in their life does deserve a happy clappy moment.

There are certain occasions where it is genuinely highly appropriate for the general population of the fans to show spontaneous support.

On Sunday, a young man had passed away far too young, and that is probably what made it that bit more poignant. I'm not seeking to diminish the loss that the OP's family have suffered. My old dad is currently 86 and in a care home and the entire family will feel huge loss when he eventually passes away. However, I would be lying if I said that my own dad's passing would be every bit as tragic as say a wee kid of 10 or 11 passing away to some horrible disease.

So, I genuinely pass on my sincere condolences to the OP and his family and hope that they find some small measure of comfort in the knowledge that all of us on this forum genuinely wish him and his family well at this saddest of times. However, my feeling is that the idea of an end of season show of support for all those who have suffered losses during the season is a fine and appropriate idea.

Back