Miroslav Klose and falling out of love with modern football

I find it astonishing that clubs don’t implement a policy that makes it incumbent on the youth players to do the type of “chores” Klose refers to around the dressing room and on the training ground to keep them humble and to instil a bit of work ethic in them.
I agree.

Instead they cut about thinking they are superstars on a grand a week, then find themselves playing part time in league one at the end of their contract.

Sad state of affairs and he is bang on. Players receive obscene amounts of money. I saw Rashford added a third rolls Royce to his collection...total value 3 million and he won't be the highest earner out there. It is just not what it was since the big money moved in ....you can understand kids being overwhelmed with the wealth. It does change attitudes.

The young players sound like the apprentice joiners these days who won’t brush the floor because they think it’s beneath them

I agree.

Instead they cut about thinking they are superstars on a grand a week, then find themselves playing part time in league one at the end of their contract.

and by then it is too late. I believe Barca have rules for young players, like no tattoos till a certain age no mobiles in dressingrooms.

I find it astonishing that clubs don’t implement a policy that makes it incumbent on the youth players to do the type of “chores” Klose refers to around the dressing room and on the training ground to keep them humble and to instil a bit of work ethic in them.

There was something on TV midweek, might have been the One show, Liverpool youth players look after allotments at the training ground which produces fresh veg for use in players meals. Think there was an additional charity angle as well, but it's exactly what your talking about

Yup, different generation - the younger ones nowadays are afraid to roll their sleeves up and graft (not all of course), and it aint just with young footballers, it's youngsters in general....... get everything far too easy these days.

Bollocks, just realised i'm turning into my auld man lol

I don't disagree but I do laugh a bit when people make comments like this.

Who raised them to be this way?

Kids being a bunch of softies nowadays is entirely down to the way their parents raised them and structured the current world.

Like they used to you mean? That’s where it all went wrong. They were grounded by painting the stands, cleaning the boots and knocking to go in the first team dressing room. You are fucked to bring anything like that back now. Not only was it basically child labour but also the kids are commodities. Big clubs are buying families houses to sign 9 year olds etc. They’re not gonna scare them off by having them stripped down and chucked in the ball skip by the u17 players.

But it all grounded them. Basically most players 25 or under now have only known being nurtured as a commodity. You’ll regularly hear non league managers slag these types of players when they get em in on loan cos they’re fucking weak.

Kids being a bunch of softies nowadays is entirely down to the way their parents raised them and structured the current world.

Not me mate - don't have kids.

The NZ rugby team will take brushes etc...with them when they play a match. After the game they all have to help and clean the changing room.

I think you could say the same about most of the youths not just in football.

We have a 19 year old apprentice at work and he is of the opinion he's made it, oozes arrogance and is a know it all.

But what a player Klose was, lethal finisher!

i saw this article on twitter too and must admit, i loved it and im sure he speaks for most of the slightly older generation whos had to watch the demise live in front of our eyes from what it used to be like

long gone are the days of playing for the jersey, but there was a clip recently i think it was of haaland where all the players except him were basically throwing their jersey at the kitman and he was the only one to go up and hand his and help a bit.. made me think this lad has been brought up right and it was good to see, but every other player basically couldnt give a monkeys

Football corrupt as it gets..fans love for their club getting exploited ...its sick..the top fifa and uefa big shots could explain the offside rule but they know what a clicking turnstile sounds like

If he thinks this is the first generation that cared more about money and cars then he is delusional.
I disagree this is a new thing, money
in football used to be shit.

When Stuart Peirce was at Notts Forest playing at a team that had one th European Cup. He was in the top flight but still wanted to keep his job as a spark as it paid good.

He was advertising his services as spark in Notts Forest match day programs.

I do think back in the day money was shit as a footballer. And there was folk who were good enough to play top level but got better paying jobs outside of it.

Listen to old football stories the 70s and 80s. Money was poor infottbal then. Back then you played for the love of it.
How many poor footballers do you see now from the 60s 70s and 80s poverty for these folk is the norm.

Last edited:
He missed out that they are more interested in their FIFA player rating, than their actual real life rating.

If he thinks this is the first generation that cared more about money and cars then he is delusional.
They had money back then, but.todays money is ridiculous and even the most mediocre players can walk away with a ton of cash for doing nothing.

Modern football is the pits when you’ve got completely average footballers earning over 300k a week.
1d5afe46e4563d09de2baa577b0c68aa.jpg

Look at where the great players of the past came from The Baxters,the Shanklies etc. The mines,the factories,all the places where you worked your ass off to learn enough to survive. The really poor countries like Brazil and Argentina where football was the only way out of the ghettoes they lived in.

Now look at the players nowadays. Probably never did a days hard graft in their lives with Mummy there to lifIt and lay behind them.

Look at where the great players of the past came from The Baxters,the Shanklies etc. The mines,the factories,all the places where you worked your ass off to learn enough to survive. The really poor countries like Brazil and Argentina where football was the only way out of the ghettoes they lived in.

Now look at the players nowadays. Probably never did a days hard graft in their lives with Mummy there to lifIt and lay behind them.

You can't exactly blame the kids though. It's the Gen X/Boomer parents who have molly coddled them and created the current society.

Parents don't even let their kids out to play anymore.

I disagree this is a new thing, money in football used to be shit.

When Stuart Peirce was at Notts Forest playing at a team that had one th European Cup. He was in the top flight but still wanted to keep his job as a spark as it paid good.

He was advertising his services as spark in Notts Forest match day programs.

I do think back in the day money was shit as a footballer. And there was folk who were good enough to play top level but got better paying jobs outside of it.

Listen to old football stories the 70s and 80s. Money was poor infottbal then. Back then you played for the love of it.
How many poor footballers do you see now from the 60s 70s and 80s poverty for these folk is the norm.

That also still happens in every single lower league in Britain today

If people have such an issue with the corporate game the top level has become, just go and watch Conference, Sunday League etc. I guarantee you those guys are not playing for the fantastic money.

It's also amusing when we have older generations lamenting the new as if they're a different species.

We're literally the same, every generation is simply DNA from the previous generation and the only difference is the environment they're brought up in. "Kids these days" LOL. They're literally the same as kids in the 1900s would have been had they been brought up in the same world.

It ain't the kids, its just how humans adapt to a different world. And ultimately you have to adapt to it rather than whining. Amazing people can get into their 50s and 60s and still think crying about things will get them anywhere

A bit rich coming from a Pole who decided to choose Germany over Poland. No doubt to line own pockets

Born in Poland as well. Total fraud

A bit rich coming from a Pole who decided to choose Germany over Poland. No doubt to line own pockets

Born in Poland as well. Total fraud
Players don’t get much for international football so he’s hardly done it to “line his pockets”, he likely chose Germany to improve his chances of being able to win international competitions, which doesn’t actually make him a fraud at all but rather illustrates his drive to succeed in the sport.

Players don’t get much for international football so he’s hardly done it to “line his pockets”, he likely chose Germany to improve his chances of being able to win international competitions, which doesn’t actually make him a fraud at all but rather illustrates his drive to succeed in the sport.
So he done it not to get big money and raise his own profile? I understand what you are saying but to suggest it was purely foootball reasons is kida crazy. I work with a lot of Polish people and they are incredibly nationalist. You would probably find it hard to find a Pole who would have anything good to say about him let alone like him

It's not as if he had links to any German family, the guy is 100% Polish

So he done it not to get big money and raise his own profile? I understand what you are saying but to suggest it was purely foootball reasons is kida crazy. I work with a lot of Polish people and they are incredibly nationalist. You would probably find it hard to find a Pole who would have anything good to say about him let alone like him

It's not as if he had links to any German family, the guy is 100% Polish

He grew up in Germany from primary school age.

Back