Mixed messages from Hampden chiefs and government about fans’ return don’t stack up, says Kris Boyd (The Sun)

Half an hour ago I drove through Matlock past the ground and there were fans inside and plenty more on the way to the ground. If the missus wasn’t in the car I would have parked up and gone myself , bloody jealous I am.

Does Covid not like Hungary? 15,000 fans in the 67,000 capacity Puskas Arena for the Super Cup match between Bayern and Seville, that's around 22% of the stadium's capacity.
22% of Ibrox would allow a crowd of around 11,000 in. Covid may not like Hungarians but it loves the Scottish folk according to the Government.

The thing is, you won't get cancer or most other killer diseases because you're standing next to somebody. COVID is different and should be treated as such.

The flaw in the restrictions is the differences between which venues can be accessed an which can't. Soccer stadia are outdoor environments where the science has stated there is less risk. They have to be no more risky than restaurants or pubs.

Are our numbers really going through the roof though?

Yes, the number of daily new positive cases.

But, at the peak of the lockdown, people were told to stay at home. Therefore, they were not included in the stats.

No info on hospital admissions?
Number of deaths?

I am currently in hospital. And, they are cutting back. What were covid wards are now returning to non-covid.

For me, it's no more than a political tool now.
I was in hospital in May and there was a few wards in the hospital that weren’t even being used as there wasn’t enough patients. Generally the hospital is close to full capacity.

Reactions: TNT
Well said Kriss, Covid 19 was the 24th in the reasons for death last week.
Cancer 500 people, suicides, heart attacks and even the flu (10 times more than Covid), pubs, restaurants, cafes all having business.
How reduced crowds in football stadium and Horse racing (how much space is needed here), cannot be brought in.
It is madness that when these statistics are shared some people still believe the doom & gloom of main stream media.

shopping centers have hundred of people walking about not counting numbers in the shops, also noticed the number of foreigners in shops not wearing masks

He makes a valid point. If you’re going to have folk in pubs and restaurants all day then why can’t you have socially distanced fans in stadiums for 90 minutes?

Either both of them should be permitted or none of them should. But hey, this is a government that have restrictions in place that determine I can’t go and see my mate in his house but I can meet him at a busy pub instead. Morons
The hypocrisy just leeches out of them

the policy is flawed... its just a control mechanism used by sturgeon.

There is nothing stopping 10,000-15,000 people attending a stadium.

Most SPFL grounds have that many empty seats it should be straightforward to social distance.

We can't continue like this.

It's a joke now we are being kept away for bs reasons now unless wearing a mask is POINTLESS.

I don’t see any reason we couldn’t easily have say 5000 in Ibrox possibly more. Open the full stadium so everyone can distance, stagger entry and exits, keep the kiosks closed so there’s no queues and gives plenty of space to queue for the toilet with a limited number allowed in at a time. Also recommend people travel in their own car to reduce public transport use. Tell everyone to wear a mask and have plenty of sanitiser around the stadium.

The numbers are so low because of the precautions we are taking ( mostly) as a society. We do not want to go back to April when there was 1,200 people died in a day, it hasn’t just magically gone away and being cavalier will take us back to those days.
But as posters have said there is no reason they cannot allow numbers into grounds safely they do it every day in shopping Centers.

The test events of 300 were stupid. Peoples lined up in rows isnt the most effective way. So many good examples across europe of trying to get fans back into sport. The situation in Scotland is the same as anywhere, weve opened pubs (cases increase) introduced masks (cases increase) opened schools (cases increase) and how forced kids to go to uni (guess what cases go up) all this happening close together doesnt take a harvard scientist to work this out. End of the day as boydy says sport in terms of participation and spectating is a form of release and a major support for alot of peoples mental health. Get the doors safely open and let people play and watch this great game.

Great point, work with it. We have to and eventually we'll be forced to.

The eastern European countries seem to be dealing a lot better with this than we are. Maybe after waiting so long to have their freedoms back, they're understandebly not keen on having restrictions placed on them. The figures in these countries are not going through the roof, why is this?

I wonder how they count their cases, here a death is recorded as covid if you have tested positive within 28 days of dying regardless of whether that is the cause of death or not, hospital admissions are the same, break a leg and if you've recently tested positive then that counts as a covid admission.

I wonder how they count their cases, here a death is recorded as covid if you have tested positive within 28 days of dying regardless of whether that is the cause of death or not, hospital admissions are the same, break a leg and if you've recently tested positive then that counts as a covid admission.

Best way of counting is excess deaths. Which are still running above the 19 year average. I think your broken leg scenario should not be taken seriously.

He is spot on. Everything connected with coronavirus is purely political. Unfortunately, there are still many people who are too scared to admit it for fear of being called heartless etc etc. The death rate is tiny, almost not worth mentioning. Governments around the world basically received a christmas present with the onset of coronavirus, as it gave them the opportunity to instal utter control over populations. The only people who like lockdown are people who never do anything with their lives anyway, and are more than happy to sit indoors all day doing nothing. I live in Myanmar, elections are coming up in a month, and as if by magic there is a huge leap in cases. The government here blames the muslims in Rakhine state ( before this they blamed all foreigners) and so this is now giving the army excuses to continue the atrocities in Rakhine . I have a friend here who recently told me that the army made his best friend dig a grave before shooting him. On my morning run this morning I had some soldier ,who looked about 15 , pointing his gun at me and telling me to put my mask on. It is absolutely roasting weather here and to run with a mask on will kill you quicker than any made-up virus.

Celebrities can't say anything against it or the media will make sure their careers are ended. These you tube influencers are making great money at the moment as well as other online based companies. The whole thing is utter bullshit and everyone knows it. The sooner people realise they are being lied to on a massive scale : the sooner people can get their lives back.

Things have to change. We simply have to get some sort of normality.

The easiest way is probably to just assume everyone has it - and behave accordingly.

Be honest - if Stompy announced a total retraction allowing stadiums to open with 100% capacity - it would be nowhere near full! As people would choose not to go.

Back