Mo Johnston

mentally challengeds missed the boat, we signed one of the best strickers in Europe when the wee man signed for us

Do you remember his antics before their scrimping had him get tae France? The rat.
I do,and he was hated.But thank God he signed.
A terrific signing who more than redeemed himself and his legacy is it showed the real reason why Rangers didn’t (couldn’t)sign Catholics.The bigotry of Scottish Catholics.
During the early 1920’s Glasgow and Scotland were affected deeply by events over the Irish Sea and Rangers always had the Protestant and Ulster connection.
We were presented as the enemy of Catholics and the Irish.
And we quickly become a Protestant club more by default than design.

While it's abhorent behaviour, I don't see or get your argument. Your argument only applies if Fergie signed for Dundee Utd. That's the same set of circumstances.

Couldn't tell you what Munro thought.

Petric came for the dough, end of.
Rumours are that's why cooper left us

What I remember was an absolutely deadly striker. He took chances better than most. At the time if Mo had 3 chances he scored twice. At the same time Ally needed 5 to get two goals. His contribution to link up play was brilliant, I think he forced Ally to alter his game and get involved more as prior to Mo arriving all Ally did was score and miss inside the box. Mo showed what Ally was missing from his game. I could see why Souness preferred Hateley and Johnston initially. Super Ally was forced to up his game and to be fair to him he did.
Iron sharpens iron

If you were a child when Johnston played for us then it's unlikely that you remember much about him and how good he was for us. As he left that east end mob in 1987 it's more unlikely that you remember anything about him playing for them.
He was a great player for us, that's all that matters
I'm Aspergered to the eyeballs. Means clear memories at a very early age, and I even have a mental imprint of walking up the stairs for a friendly with China in 82. And swinging on bars at a 0-0 reserve game at Cappielow before then!

I do,and he was hated.But thank God he signed.
A terrific signing who more than redeemed himself and his legacy is it showed the real reason why Rangers didn’t (couldn’t)sign Catholics.The bigotry of Scottish Catholics.
During the early 1920’s Glasgow and Scotland were affected deeply by events over the Irish Sea and Rangers always had the Protestant and Ulster connection.
We were presented as the enemy of Catholics and the Irish.
And we quickly become a Protestant club more by default than design.
I would argue that the Apartheid design of Celtic played a greater part in the shaping of our club than anyone has ever realistically considered.

From a Rangers angle, I don't believe that there was ever any intention to head down the path that we went down. It was just because we were Glasgow's other big hitter, and therefore the default club of what wasn't them.

As for Johnston, signing him lowered our standards. He despised us.

It's not an anti-Catholic thing by any means. I'm not even a Protestant myself for starters. Wee Neil McCann grew up in the next street to the one I grew up on, and I seen him as a huge favourite and a credit to the jersey.

But Johnston? No way.

Footage collected by 'Rangers Archives' capturing some of the the initial reaction to Mo signing. Someone that I worked with at the time actually handed their season ticket back, though he regretted it several months later!

Back in 2011 when we were playing Sporting Lisbon away in the UEFA cup I got chatting to 2 older boys on the plane there they were telling me how they gave their season tickets back and to that day had no regrets

The goal at the piggery, lobbing bonner. Peak Mo. I was there.
Yass, Fucking yass. Get it right fucking up them
He had some start v the tramps . First game was at the piggery and the abuse he got was unreal. He was shit in the 1-1 draw and people were doubting him. Then the last minute winner at Ibrox we all regained faith in him (although I'm sure he scored a few goals before that game) and he was superb v them thereafter..

Excellent player. What a shock it was when he signed. Took me over an hour and a half to do my paper round the next day reading the back pages then inside then inside again. Talking to my customers who were all in shock. Especially the rhats. They were raging absolutely raging.

I love this thread I was too young, 14, too actually judge him as a player so I'm learning a lot

First season he scored an incredible amount of important goals - winners against Aberdeen, Hearts, Mothewell and Celtic. Equalisers at Fir Park and Tannadice. That's 10 points alone he won us on his tod. He had a lot to prove and he did it in spades TBF.

Last 18 months here he scored more goals but a lot of them were against jobbers. He was no longer doing it when it mattered.

90/91 - He scored 19 but 8 of them were against East Stirling, Kilmarnock and Valletta. Only scored twice after December as well.

91/92 - Scored 11 before he left in November but they were against Queens Park, Thistle, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Airdrie and Falkirk.
He played for a lot of Scottish teams.
Us
Them
Hearts
Thistle
Falkirk

Johnston was the type of player that was a dream partner up front.
His running off the ball and to create space was exceptional.

Was it the equivalent of us signing lennon?
No.

Now, both were massively low-grade in terms of class, and are both on record as being more than capable of getting shit-faced and making a tit of themselves, and we're talking a pair of Rangers haters.

It's either at this or the next point where they diverge.

Johnston may or may not have terrorised the shite out of some lassie, but I can't put my finger on such an event. May have forgotten such an occurrence, and someone will likely correct me if I have done.

Lennon most certainly did.

They definitely split here.

As for professionalism, Johnston had the odd sesh, but he maintained his fitness and was never in any dire shape. He seemed to lose the knack with goal-getting, but he didn't plod around like Mr Blobby like Lennon did, and he didn't play for long after losing the knack up front either.

And I'd put the house on this one.

Mo Johnston did not involve himself in any voluntary promotional work for those who were the direct link between the proscribed Irish Republican Army terrorist group who ran a 30yr campaign with genocidal intent... and the UK Democratic system.

A twat, but not a cheerleader for a psychotic murder-gang.

I'll give MoJo that much!

Was working on a farm near Kilmarnock, plastering when we got him, and the wee labourer was happy as %^*&, coz he was a Catholic and Rangers daft, not Mo, the labourer

Back