Morelos - New Deal?

How does your take differ from mine? In what way am I wrong? Should Alfie have tried to come back for the celtic game after sitting in the stand for the first of 2 Columbia games? Then the next games after coming off injured on the Saturday, should he have travelled to Columbia? What is wrong with what I'm saying? Let's bear in mind Alfie has had previous for letting us down. Yes I love him to bits but he has contributed to the failure of this team since the new year.
Celtic schemed to have fixtures rearranged, that’s not his fault. And people are just going to have to live with that fact that unlike many bears, he loves his country and sees it as a great honour to represent them.

Our season fell on the back of piss poor business in January and the complete loss of form of a number of key players. If our success truly hinges on one player then neither the director of football, the manager, or the players are doing their jobs properly.

Last edited:
I think we will sell Aribo, Barisic and Kamara in the summer, possibly Kent too.

In my opinion I would offer Morelos a new deal and make him the highest paid player at the club.

He loves the club, is settled, we have a manager who speaks Spanish and again in my opinion we could build a team around him.
He is the highest paid player mate. £33k per week.

It’s Lundstram as we paid zero for him
It's not, this got people all in a rage about 7 months ago incorrectly. There was a list of our earners published (which can be easily accessed if someone works in PA Insurance for Elite Sports Stars) and Lundstram was 5th on the list, Alfie was first.

I think we will sell Aribo, Barisic and Kamara in the summer, possibly Kent too.

In my opinion I would offer Morelos a new deal and make him the highest paid player at the club.

He loves the club, is settled, we have a manager who speaks Spanish and again in my opinion we could build a team around him.

When is his current deal expiring?

If the National Team insisted he travel, then he had no option.

I've long been of the opinion that Morelos is in no rush to leave. I think his agent stirred it a few times.

There have been no such stories since he changed agents...

Yes, but he was carrying an injury that was being managed from game-to-game. Surely that would have been sufficient to withdraw if the player so desired.

I understand why Alfie wants to go. I just felt that with the vital games coming up, the knock and the fact he didn't even make the bench in January, he might have withdrawn - instead, long-haul flights and a season-ending injury.

Hopefully he stays. I'm not sure I'd be making him the highest paid player, though, at this point.

Yes, but he was carrying an injury that was being managed from game-to-game. Surely that would have been sufficient to withdraw if the player so desired.

I understand why Alfie wants to go. I just felt that with the vital games coming up, the knock and the fact he didn't even make the bench in January, he might have withdrawn - instead, long-haul flights and a season-ending injury.

Hopefully he stays. I'm not sure I'd be making him the highest paid player, though, at this point.
Even if he pulled out due to injury Colombia had every right to make him travel to Colombia to do their own assessment of it.

Think he will go in the summer as we will accept a decent bid knowing he can go for nothing next summer.

Got a feeling he will sign for a Portuguese club for 10-12 million.

Can see us letting Roofe go as well so will need to buy two strikers in the summer.

Even if he pulled out due to injury Colombia had every right to make him travel to Colombia to do their own assessment of it.

That would be a little unusual given his track record traveling to Colombia, the obvious signs of carrying an injury at each game and a note from the club medical staff.

If I recall correctly, Australia and Japan didn't force their Celtic players to travel after withdrawing.

It's up to the National team. If they want the player to travel to be assessed then he has to travel.

If not he can be banned.

We have to start being ruthless with players who think they can sit out their deals.

Not sure he will stay now. Can't see why he wouldn't have signed in the last 2 months if he was going to not playing.

It's up to the National team. If they want the player to travel to be assessed then he has to travel.

If not he can be banned.

I know. But it’s seldom enforced having a player travel such a distance. The player can also pull rank, as Roofe did in January.

The SA international calendar is busy, combined with travel. We missed him vs Hearts in the past due to travel hiccups, for example.

I’m saying this in the context of suggesting he becomes our highest paid player. We need to consider these absences which will continue.

I know. But it’s seldom enforced having a player travel such a distance. The player can also pull rank, as Roofe did in January.

The SA international calendar is busy, combined with travel. We missed him vs Hearts in the past due to travel hiccups, for example.

I’m saying this in the context of suggesting he becomes our highest paid player. We need to consider these absences which will continue.
We know the risks when signing players from different continents.

It will also depend on the manager involved. Perhaps the Colombian was more entrenched in his stance than his Jamaican counterpart.

That prick Rogic pulled out an Australia match then featured in an OF game immediately after, this was without going to Australia for a medical and I doubt Morelos would’ve been any different.

It was pretty obvious he was nursing an injury, he went because he wanted to.

We know the risks when signing players from different continents.

It will also depend on the manager involved. Perhaps the Colombian was more entrenched in his stance than his Jamaican counterpart.

Maybe. But he was a member of a 28 man squad for January/February games and didn’t even make the bench.

Previously he’s had very limited minutes from the bench.

Terrible from Colombia if this was enforced - and not a great indicator for the future.

Can’t believe so many want Kent gone. He’s been absolutely pivotal in how we’ve done in Europe over the last 3 seasons along with tav and Morelos.

Just get the man a new deal.
He’s the one for me that’ll stay long term, seems to love the club. Time to sell Aribo, Kamara and Bassey. Sign others up and let some walk away. Re-invest for the GvB era and domestic domination

He’s the one for me that’ll stay long term, seems to love the club. Time to sell Aribo, Kamara and Bassey. Sign others up and let some walk away. Re-invest for the GvB era and domestic domination
The three starters I’d move on are aribo kamara and barisic. If we can keep Bassey another year and have they type of performances in the CL he’ll go for big big money.

The three starters I’d move on are aribo kamara and barisic. If we can keep Bassey another year and have they type of performances in the CL he’ll go for big big money.
Barisic has to go, however I’m selling Bassey now as he might never play better in a major game. Big money allows Gio huge leeway going forward

Hmm. He missed a vital part of the season due his desire to travel to Colombia. That will always be his priority.
His value is only going in one direction if he starts knocking back international call ups. Once their older strikers like Bacca start retiring then he’ll get his chance, but he needs to be present and turn up in the meantime. International call ups at any level are a privilege for international footballers, especially South Americans.

It's not, this got people all in a rage about 7 months ago incorrectly. There was a list of our earners published (which can be easily accessed if someone works in PA Insurance for Elite Sports Stars) and Lundstram was 5th on the list, Alfie was first.

I heard that because lundstram was a free he gets a lump sum every year that puts him into the top earner bracket.

Apparently quite common with bosman singings.

I heard that because lundstram was a free he gets a lump sum every year that puts him into the top earner bracket.

Apparently quite common with bosman singings.
A players insurance needs to reflect his potential income regardless of whether he is or is not playing. That would include any incentive. I deal with Serie A players as we cover that league, but I can't imagine the principle is different.

A players insurance needs to reflect his potential income regardless of whether he is or is not playing. That would include any incentive. I deal with Serie A players as we cover that league, but I can't imagine the principle is different.
No idea ins and out of it you'll be better informed than me mate just heard Aribo and Lundstram both get lump sums every year as both signed on bosmans.

No idea ins and out of it you'll be better informed than me mate just heard Aribo and Lundstram both get lump sums every year as both signed on bosmans.
I'll give you a laugh, when he was at Fiorentina, this would be maybe 25 years back, Batistuta was on $90k per week. He got injured and his agent wanted the $90k paid by the insurers plus a goal bonus for each game he couldn't play in :))

It’s a right bastard how much football he has missed at a key time

A - we likely win Wednesday
B - it would have been worth about 5 million on his feel alone him playing those games

It’s convention that players actually get paid what we used to call ”signing-on bonuses” as lump sums annually over the life of the contract. If they ask for a transfer then they are likely (depending on the ins and outs of their contract) to forfeit the remaining payments. Likewise, if the club chooses to sell them, then the player would be entitled to the remaining, outstanding, sums.

So, pretty much every player will be receiving these “lump sums every year”, but the links of Lundstram and Aribo’s will be much higher as they joined without a transfer fee - typically meaning that the player commands a higher singing-on bonus (yes, I know we did pay a development fee to Aribo).

Its likely then that if you include the amortisation of Lundstram’s payments over this contract then he will be one of, if not the, highest earners.

Back