Morelos would have run riot

I actual feared for us going up against Braga without Alfie. Whilst we could have used him in the first leg, we didn’t really miss him at home or in either leg of the semi against Liepzig.

However, we really missed him tonight. That game was crying out for someone to hold up the ball and allow us to get our full backs up the pitch.

I think maybe we underestimated his absence in the lead up to the game.

I agree and Borre was a free transfer from River Plate, we absolutely need to utilise this SA market. Cristian Pavon is a free transfer RW/LW from Boca on 20k a week there.

Untapped market and a fast track for players looking to get into the EPL.

Alfie is massive for us in Europe. Getting to the final without him was a huge achievement and I reckon we'd have been favourites if he was fit for the final.

Would we have actually reached the final though were he not injured? Intuitively you'd think yes, but all the other games would've played out differently had he been there. You never know.
Good point, it has worked well for us in getting us to the final. Last night was a game made for him though. Nothing was sticking up front most of the game, would have been different with him on, not that it would have guaranteed anything though

It only underlines the lack of options we have up front
Tbf, it's pretty unlucky to have 2 main strikers out for any team. Not many teams in the world have a 3rd choice striker u can reasonably rely on to the same degree as your top 2 options. Morelos for me is a 20 million striker on top form, roofe 5 million, we just can't sustain a squad that has a 3rd choice on a similar level

Not so sure,they were a very physical side.
It was criminal actually going into a semi final and final in Europe without a recognised striker.

I agree and Borre was a free transfer from River Plate, we absolutely need to utilise this SA market. Cristian Pavon is a free transfer RW/LW from Boca on 20k a week there.

Untapped market and a fast track for players looking to get into the EPL.
Success rate always the risk .... Look at Pena....

Success rate always the risk .... Look at Pena....
True mate but I'd be more inclined for South American and not Central. Boys from the South seem to have mentality to succeed or try their hardest. We brought in a Mexican with a few demons on his back. Poor recruitment.

The decision to not sign a striker in January was a massive one. We all know Roofe’s injury record. JD gone, Sakala isn’t a striker, Itten isn’t good enough.
No harm to Sands etc but we signed players to cover positions we already have bodies for.
If we’d got a striker maybe we wouldn’t have run Morelos into the ground.

All if’s and but’s though

I think not having a proper striker screwed us, when Roofe came on we looked dangerous and could have won it. The problem we have is Alfie gets took away across the world to not even make the bench, and Roofe just keeps getting injured. I know the injuries aren't Roofes fault, but we need a striker who is always here and fit.

Last edited:
Back