Motherwell join Paddy Powers, Save Our Shirt, Campaign

Earth Worm Jim

I actually think this is quite a good idea (even after PP trumping me with the Huddersfield kit!)

“Motherwell Football Club will wear sponsorless jerseys in the 2019/20 season, thanks to Paddy Power coming on board as our main sponsor.

“We’re now part of the betting firm’s Save Our Shirt campaign, dedicated to removing sponsor logos from the front of jerseys.

“Having launched the campaign with Huddersfield Town last week, our club is the next to benefit from the initiative.

“The front of both our home and away jerseys will be sponsor-free for the duration of the season.

“The deal with Paddy Power is the largest in Motherwell FC’s history, and it is a massive boost to the club to be linking up with such a prominent and innovative brand.”

Motherwell chairman Jim McMahon also expressed his delight.

He said: “We’re delighted to be associated with Paddy Power’s Save Our Shirt campaign.

“This partnership represents our biggest shirt sponsorship in history, and the chance to team up with a renowned brand.
“It’s a fantastic achievement by our commercial team to get them on board.

“Paddy Power are forward thinking and innovative, and it is a mark of how our fan-owned club is perceived in the world that we were able to attract such a high-calibre partner.

“We thank them for their support and look forward to working with them over the course of the season.”

I've got to admit PP have played an absolute blinder with this. They may not have their name on shirts this season but the advertising they've got from the Huddersfield shirt release and now the sponsorless shirts is far bigger. A bit of a masterstroke from them in my opinion.

I've got to admit PP have played an absolute blinder with this. They may not have their name on shirts this season but the advertising they've got from the Huddersfield shirt release and now the sponsorless shirts is far bigger. A bit of a masterstroke from them in my opinion.

They'll plaster the stadium with branding, too, so win win.

I think they've wasted an excellent chance to put out a classic looking strip off of the back of this. Lines through the top with the exception of the big block just cheapen it.

It’s absolutely brilliant.

I don't particularly like PP but I support this.

Until very recently we always sold a long-sleeved sponsor less shirt.

I always bought it as it looked better and I didn't feel comfortable advertising booze as a recovering alcoholic.

The last one I have is the 2012 without Tennants but I think there was one without Dry Blackthorne too.

Hummel haven't bothered yet, I hope they do.

Just a really cynical ploy by PP to sponsor football teams like all other gambling companies but look like the good guys at the same time.
What!? You mean a company is marketing just to raise awareness of their brand and make their product more appealing to people? Sounds far fetched mate.

Just a really cynical ploy by PP to sponsor football teams like all other gambling companies but look like the good guys at the same time.
Good business. I've seen quite a few threads on here about it. Would there have been even a mention of Huddersfield or Motherwells shirts on here if it was just a PP logo on them?

I'd guess every forum has threads about it.

I'm all for strips with no advertising. But Motherwell's shirt looks strange that they still have the maroon band across the front where the sponsor logo would normally go. As if the strip had been designed prior to sourcing a sponsor.

Have to agree. Motherwell's shirt still looks cheap but Huddersfield's one looks great with no sponsor. I understand clubs rely heavily on sponsorship but it just looks so much better without sponsors. West Ham sell their U18's jersey (which is the same size as normal mediums I believe) without sponsors because it's a gambling company and it looks so much better:

https://www.officialwesthamstore.co...0/adults/5015_201920-under-18-home-shirt.html

I like the West ham kit minus the sponsor.

When watching them on Saturday I said to myself that's a great top of it didn't have that daft sponsor on it.

The burgandy strip across Motherwell's kit is clearly for a sponsor, so now, not having one, it looks naff.

If it was removed it be no bad, but ironically I think it would look better with a sponsor

I'm all for strips with no advertising. But Motherwell's shirt looks strange that they still have the maroon band across the front where the sponsor logo would normally go. As if the strip had been designed prior to sourcing a sponsor.

And every time someone sees it there’ll be a discussion about the ‘missing’ sponsor and the Paddy Power story will be told and Paddy Power’s job will have been done.

I don't particularly like PP but I support this.

Until very recently we always sold a long-sleeved sponsor less shirt.

I always bought it as it looked better and I didn't feel comfortable advertising booze as a recovering alcoholic.

The last one I have is the 2012 without Tennants but I think there was one without Dry Blackthorne too.

Hummel haven't bothered yet, I hope they do.

Didn’t we sell sponsorless shirts when we had alcohol makers as sponsors due to religious beliefs of some of our fans?

The away strip is really nice - the home is rotten with that big stripe clearly designed to have a sponsor on it.

I remember buying an Umbro third shirt of ours with no sponsor. It was the red one with a vertical white and blue stripe from top to bottom, at the time we were sponsored by Carling. Cost me a quid*

*Cool story bro

Some of us are old enough to remember that’s how Motherwell shirts normally looked. They didn’t bring in the maroon band just for a sponsor you know.;)

Got to chuckle at some of the replies to this. We have all been saying for years that we’d like gaudy advertising removed from shirts. Now that a company runs a campaign to do it?

‘Aye well they are only doing it for more publicity, I’m still no’ happy’. I mean are people seriously thinking that the likes of Huddersfield and Motherwell shouldn’t bother with any sponsorship? Seriously some of you lot would give my Mrs a run for her money :D

Excellent idea imo. Regardless of PP’s and Huddersfield’s motives (selling shirts/generating business) they have clearly listened to supporters and given them what they want. Win/win surely?

Anything that gets gambling logos away from football can only be a good thing but I assume the stadium will be plastered with adverts instead.

Great idea from PP to be fair. Seen a pic thenother day of what the EPL strips would look like without sponsor and they are much better looking

In terms of our own, i wanted to buy the training zipper (when stock comes in) but prefer the kids version with no sponsors!

What do paddy Power actually gain for this is nobody can see their logo

It’s one of the biggest sports-business stories just now hence why there’s a thread on it on here - everyone’s talking about it. Can’t remember the last time a shirt sponsorship deal got this much attention and support. It’s a campaign that fans of other clubs are backing and wanting the same of. The genius to go from the horrific PP logo over the Huddersfield shirt to logo-less was a brilliant PR strategy as it put the fans in a negative mindset initially then brought them round to support their campaign when the actual reasoning was explained and shirt released. PP’s marketing department are one of the best.

The burgandy strip across Motherwell's kit is clearly for a sponsor, so now, not having one, it looks naff.

If it was removed it be no bad, but ironically I think it would look better with a sponsor

I think that might just be that you've become conditioned to it. Or it could be an age thing. Those of us who remember pre-sponsorship strips will just see it as a classic Motherwell top (well almost, if it didn't have the silly narrow lines).

What do paddy Power actually gain for this is nobody can see their logo
Although there's no sponsor on the shirt itself social media has been all over this plus they're making a massive name for themselves by not being on the shirt, definitely a marketing ploy but a bloody good one at that

I don’t think sponsors should be on the front, but I would accept it being on the back below the players number.

It’s a marketing masterstroke whichever way you look at it. Clubs can get shirts without tacky sponsor logos on them and at the same time the innovation and questioning of the missing sponsor gets PP all the publicity and discussion they seek.

Latest posts

Back