Mourinho - Making the Europa Conference 'special'.

Laterally, it wasn’t.

CL
Uefa Cup
CWC

That’s the order the leagues presented their successful participants in.
Not for me, UEFA themselves introduced the Cup Winner's Cup as the second most prestigious trophy, I don't remember it ever being anything other than that during its existence.

Must admit my feelings towards it changed in the later stages of the competition. Last night you could see from the scenes in Rome how much it mattered.

Just wish they would change its name. It's really really shite. I'd actually call it the Europa League and change the EL back to the UEFA Cup.

Not for me, UEFA themselves introduced the Cup Winner's Cup as the second most prestigious trophy, I don't remember it ever being anything other than that during its existence.
If it was so prestigious throughout its entire existence it wouldn’t have been axed.

The Champions League destroyed it. All the big teams were qualifying for that.

I actually think Uefa have it about right now with the 3 trophies. What they don’t have right though is the striving to make the CL a shut shop.

If it was so prestigious throughout its entire existence it wouldn’t have been axed.

To an extent that's true but the first side in each country that qualifies for Europa League is the cup winner, before the league also-rans.

With fewer down the league teams now starting in it, the Europa League now is actually more of a successor to the CWC than to the UEFA cup. The CL drop-outs skew things but they weren't a function of either competition when European football was at its best.

For countries outside the Greed 5 the conference league is now where traditional UEFA Cup teams enter.

I just can't get my head round people knocking this competition. The same people who would go on a bender if we won 4 games to lift the League Cup. There were always 3 Euro trophies until recently. The UEFA Cup/ Intercity Fairs Cup was regarded as the 3rd most important. Tell Newcastle who won it or Dundee Utd who got to the final that it was a mickey mouse cup.
If clubs from the " big4" leagues turn their noses up at it great - more chance of clubs like us winning it.

I think Pellegrini of Roma had said that earlier in the season they saw it as a ‘joke cup’ but now looked at it as the biggest game of their season.

All depends on context and circumstance I would think.

Realistically Roma aren't going to be challenging for the Serie A title. They're unlikely to make top 4 and reach the Champions League. Suppose they could go on a wee run in the Europa but realistically, for the likes of Roma, Feyenoord, Marseille, PSV etc. The Europa Conference is like their Champions League.

It’s effectively the Cup Winners Cup equivalent.

Not really sure we’re in a position to laugh at that.
This for me. We are very much as a club and support very proud of our sole European trophy. Although a different format back in the day it was looked upon as the third Euro trophy.

If we had the opportunity to pick up this cup I'd be as proud as anyone was in 72.

I just can't get my head round people knocking this competition. The same people who would go on a bender if we won 4 games to lift the League Cup. There were always 3 Euro trophies until recently. The UEFA Cup/ Intercity Fairs Cup was regarded as the 3rd most important. Tell Newcastle who won it or Dundee Utd who got to the final that it was a mickey mouse cup.
If clubs from the " big4" leagues turn their noses up at it great - more chance of clubs like us winning it.
We got to the final of it ourselves in 2008.

This new competition will likely establish itself over time, but I think they need to stop teams dropping through the top two competitions into this one.

Possibly, but it was still classed as the second most prestigious trophy by the governing body at the time all three trophies were being played.
The fact that only one team from each country could qualify each year probably led to it being axed.More teams may qualify to play in the UEFA Cup, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
Recent European Championships have proved that increasing numbers doesn't increase quality and prestige.

Dortmund were the favourites, we knocked them out. Leipzig by the time the semis came around were the favourites, we knocked them out.
And after Diet
Leipzig and Dortmund - both CL group stage drop outs. Leipzig were in the CL R16 the previous season and SF the season prior.

Red Star Belgrade were and are Serbian League Champions. They've lost 1 league game in 2 seasons and topped the EL group this season.

The only "bye" if you could call it that would be Braga imo.
i didn’t say we got a bye. We performed extremely well, I’m not questioning that, but Barca we’re put out and Lyon also fell along the way. We also performed well above expectations at time, also something we won’t see every year.

And after Diet

i didn’t say we got a bye. We performed extremely well, I’m not questioning that, but Barca we’re put out and Lyon also fell along the way. We also performed well above expectations at time, also something we won’t see every year.

Fecking hell Tottie, we put Dortmund out!

We never got to play Barca because they clearly prioritised their league position but I don’t see how that means we had any luck? With the way they played and the way we were playing we could have easily beaten them too. We generally always show up well against the better teams in the Europa, we 100% belong at that table.

Liverpool, Juventus and Atletico Madrid were 3 of the 4 top winners of the, at the time, 3rd rate UEFA Cup before it merged with the cup winners cup in 99. Doubt any of them would take that back.

We'd have to be having a shocking time in the first 2 competitions to end up in it like PSV, out the CL at the playoffs, out the Europa at Christmas and into that, but if you're in it you definitely want to win it. It's still a far bigger cup than the Scottish and a harder achievement than the league, just doesn't come with the same prestige as the other 2.

I just can't see Scotland's coefficient place being low enough again to happily take that as entry into Europe. Would have been handy for the 2016-2018 seasons to help development and revenue.

Not so long ago there were three European trophies and winning any of them was a hell of an achievement
I'd be proud if Rangers were to win this
Of course would prefer one of the others but winning this would still be bigger than any domestic trophy - much bigger
Put it this way
If the famed Atlantic League ever took off how pleased would you have been if Rangers won it
This is at least as big as that

Dortmund were the favourites, we knocked them out. Leipzig by the time the semis came around were the favourites, we knocked them out.
West Ham were favs at the start as well though (10/1 area) and Dortmund were put in at 6/1, neither exactly hot favs. The only true favs for me once the competition settled were Barcelona - meaning whoever they played they would have been under 1/2 to go through for me. Leipzig were made favs because Rangers were heavily underrated again - seen as the easy draw of the 3 to get by others, the other two would have been favs had they drawn Rangers as well. Best way to look at it for me was the Bundesliga sides were overrated betting wise, personally I was amazed how short Dortmund were when they entered the competition, again a case of Bundesliga being overrated and Rangers quite underrated - even more so once Haaland was ruled out, had a good bet at 3/1 to qualify.

Fecking hell Tottie, we put Dortmund out!

We never got to play Barca because they clearly prioritised their league position but I don’t see how that means we had any luck? With the way they played and the way we were playing we could have easily beaten them too. We generally always show up well against the better teams in the Europa, we 100% belong at that table.
I hope so mate. I’ve just been on a real downer since last week. Never know a feeling like this, maybe it’s my age, but not even after the piggery defeat in 78 did I feel as bad as I do right now.

Back