Mourinho quote on accepting defeat

Blueranger1872

Think this is something we’ve been doing for a while. I was guilty of this all through Pedro, Warburton then on to Gio and Beale thinking we need time, Rome isn’t built in a day etc.

Now I just think you’ve got a winning mentality or you don’t. I remember when Smith took over from PLG and the instant impact it had on the team. We’ve been accepting pish for too long

A quote I like from Graeme Souness is ‘show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser’
We’ve no nasty streak in our team,nobody who’ll kick their granny to win a tackle,too much of don’t mind if we win or lose attitude

Pretty sure that was way before Souness - maybe Vince Lombardi the American football coach - but the point stands.
Far too few winners in the team, guys who are happy to post on Instagram even following a defeat. Fk that.

Think this is something we’ve been doing for a while. I was guilty of this all through Pedro, Warburton then on to Gio and Beale thinking we need time, Rome isn’t built in a day etc.

Now I just think you’ve got a winning mentality or you don’t. I remember when Smith took over from PLG and the instant impact it had on the team. We’ve been accepting pish for too long
We never hit the ground running with new managers or players unlike the tims.

Its always let them bed in or give them a season.

You could see on that Spurs program that Jose was willing to do anything to win. Think it was City they were playing and he points out two or three players on a yellow card at halftime. He tells them to stop being so nice and to be a c@nt.

Fast forward a few years and their manager is arguing with fans asking him to throw a game.

That's because our existing players don't set the standard whereas theirs do.

Their new players join squads of winners who can carry them short term at least and drive them, our new guys join up with losers and are immediately under intense pressure to be different and just end up being dragged down and accepting of the reality. Sadly a lot of our fans are going the same way by defending the indefensible.

Its why I can't take all the excuses about recruitment decisions, injury problems and referee decisions as a valid reason we never won the league.

If you are waiting for the perfect transfer window, no injured players and absolutely no bad decisions against us then you will be waiting a long time for us to win a league.

I feel like that when people defend Dessers and his stats.

Of all the great strikers that have been through our club what kinds of depths have we plunged to when people think Dessers is good enough for us and not the problem.

Oh, look at his goals and his assists……%^*& that. If the guy was any good he would be on double what he’s currently on.

This is not me picking an opportunity to bash Dessers I’m just drawing parallels to highlight the current mindset of accepting mediocrity. It’s just not good enough.

I feel like that when people defend Dessers and his stats.

Of all the great strikers that have been through our club what kinds of depths have we plunged to when people think Dessers is good enough for us and not the problem.

Oh, look at his goals and his assists……%^*& that. If the guy was any good he would be on double what he’s currently on.

This is not me picking an opportunity to bash Dessers I’m just drawing parallels to highlight the current mindset of accepting mediocrity. It’s just not good enough.
Think the same when people do the same with Tav.

Spot on quote. Walter won many games that weren’t pretty to watch. But we won. Trophies were in the cabinet.

We are far too accepting of defeat.
100%. The midfield actually got bullied by Callum fuc**in Mcgregor at Parkhead. That is just embarrassing as he is a wet wipe! We also have centre halfs who dont tackle or header with any conviction. Need a proper spine.

There's definitely an acceptance of defeat poisoning the support and the club.

The tramps were rioting when we won 55 whilst we have supporters calling the UBs embarrassing for walking out of the last home game of the season at FT.

One club demands success and the other is accepting failure.

Guess which one we are.

A quote I like from Graeme Souness is ‘show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser’
We’ve no nasty streak in our team,nobody who’ll kick their granny to win a tackle,too much of don’t mind if we win or lose attitude
i watched something last night, about Jim McLean and football in scotland in 80s, pretty sure he said the exact same

100%. The midfield actually got bullied by Callum fuc**in Mcgregor at Parkhead. That is just embarrassing as he is a wet wipe! We also have centre halfs who dont tackle or header with any conviction. Need a proper spine.
I remember when Mcleish signed Marvin Andrews. Not the classiest defender we have ever signed. But he gave everything he had in every game and was never bullied. He was a huge player for us at little outlay.

We don’t need expensive signings every time. We need players with the right attitude and belief in themselves. Same with John Brown. Never came up short on attitude and commitment.

We lack that type of player so badly.

I really want Clement to succeed and with the right backing I think he will, but I've noticed a few times now, he is quoting our xG stats as some sort of mitigation after a poor performance or defeat.

Most recently on Saturday where he referred to our xG in the first half, to imply there was nothing between the sides, which may have been the case re xG, but in a football sense, to all watching was nonsense.

If the Club, management and us as fans are finding solace or comfort in xG's etc after poor results, we'll be guilty of what Mourinho warns against and we will slip further behind and have only ourselves to blame.

Last edited:
I remember when Mcleish signed Marvin Andrews. Not the classiest defender we have ever signed. But he gave everything he had in every game and was never bullied. He was a huge player for us at little outlay.

We don’t need expensive signings every time. We need players with the right attitude and belief in themselves. Same with John Brown. Never came up short on attitude and commitment.

We lack that type of player so badly.
He signed him at the same time as he signed Alex Rae and Dado Prso.

Those 3, with Ricksen already there and to a lesser extent Nacho Novo signing was all designed to win the fight against O'Neil's thugs.

I really want Clement to succeed and with the right backing I think he will, but I've noticed a few times now, he is quoting our xG stats as some sort of mitigation after a poor performance or defeat.

Most recently on Saturday where he reffered to our xG in the first half, to imply there was nothing between the sides, which may have been the case re xG, but in a football sense, to all watching was nonsense.

If the Club, management and us as fans are finding solace or comfort in xG's etc after poor results, we'll be guilty of what Mourinho warns against and we will slip further behind and have only ourselves to blame.
Problem with stats you can use them to make almost any point. Who honestly felt we were going to win last Saturday?

Anyone watching our games against them last couple of years had little realistic expectation. We don’t have the players who produce on the big stage.

Huge problem for Clement. He will get another two goes at them at most before pressure starts getting quite intense.

He will carry the can and many of our fans will accept that. This a huge summer. For more than the manager.

Our standards, from the stands, have been on the slip for a while.

When people bring up, for example and because its in my memory from this forum, John Souttar being "excellent" vs Ross county as a counter to him selling a goal that cost us points, then the acceptance of mediocrity is for all to see.

Similar to the Dessers debate, people trying to tell you not to believe your own eyes on what you watch with players, because of nonsense like Xg, or skewed stats.

I do feel sorry for the some of the younger fans, they didn't live through the 90s and 00s when winning was everything, but even some of the older bears nowadays have the mentality of an Aberdeen or Hearts fan.

It's bullshit.

Nobody is accepting pish. It's okay to have a reasoned outlook on our position based on factors not always in our control.

Smith came in and gave the team a lift, then spent £20m on players very much suited to Rangers.

We don't have that money to spend, and any funds we do have has been misspent.

Is it acceptable? No, but it's the reason why we haven't won the league.

Most recently on Saturday where he reffered to our xG in the first half, to imply there was nothing between the sides, which may have been the case re xG, but in a football sense, to all watching was nonsense.

100% - all this modern stat talk of xG is just a mask for not scoring

Also, you wonder if sports science plays too big a part in modern football when ex players say they can't stay on after training to practice set pieces etc because once they've completed their sprints etc it's everyone off the pitch

We talk about the winning culture being ripped out of the club but it’s also the same for some of the support.

The Union Bears were right to walk out the other night but it should have been the entire stadium. And then we’ve some upset a bed wetter like Barasic didn’t get on the park for a goodbye.

Reactions: WLF
Souness threw runners up medals in the bin in front of his players.

Some of our current players probably sit at home polishing there’s

Spot on quote. Walter won many games that weren’t pretty to watch. But we won. Trophies were in the cabinet.

Big Clubs are Big Clubs because they historically won.

Small clubs can become big Clubs of they win.

Winners (and big clubs) win. Full stop. Our team since 2012 have been happy to be there or thereabouts. It needs to stop.

Compare Walter's Captain'S and our present situation.

There seems to have been a Championship/ League One attitude for a long time from some players from that level of “a point away from home is a good result”,
That seems ingrained and we need players who have the mental strength to accept that every game must be won, domestically at least.

It's bullshit.

Nobody is accepting pish. It's okay to have a reasoned outlook on our position based on factors not always in our control.

Smith came in and gave the team a lift, then spent £20m on players very much suited to Rangers.

The money spent on the front line alone should see us challenging. We're just getting far too many wrong.

To me, and I could be wrong, it seems for some of our present players, and those who have left over the last couple of years, winning the title in 20/21 was it, the pinnacle of their careers.

No thirst or desire to go further.

The club needs gutted from top to bottom in thinking, vision and outlook going forward.

Agreed.

Perhaps I'm being selective with my memories, but I don't recall it being like this throughout the 90s and 00s.

Signings generally showed flashes of quality and made some sort of contribution early on. Now it seems to be a case of allowing them 6-12months to get match fit, or used to the country, league etc

This is what I meant when I spoke about getting the right players in on another thread. Forget youtube videos and what league they play in just get winners in, even though they might not play tippy tappy football, as long as they win.

The money spent on the front line alone should see us challenging. We're just getting far too many wrong.
Always wondered if it might be worth spending big on one player. Risky but instead we end up with 3 players either average or not good enough.

This is what I meant when I spoke about getting the right players in on another thread. Forget youtube videos and what league they play in just get winners in, even though they might not play tippy tappy football, as long as they win.
Who you suggesting? We're all ears.

Back in the 9 in a row years, yes our team was a tight knit crowd of players who gave it their all.

At the end of the day though, we actually had better players than all the rest of Scottish football. This is no longer the case.

It's bullshit.

We spent millions on Lammers, Dessers and Danilo in the summer

We talk about the winning culture being ripped out of the club but it’s also the same for some of the support.

The Union Bears were right to walk out the other night but it should have been the entire stadium. And then we’ve some upset a bed wetter like Barasic didn’t get on the park for a goodbye.

they deserved the white hanky treatment Real Madrid style.

Back