Mourinho quote on accepting defeat

He's right. Our players, manager, board and fans have been accepting of some rubbish results in the past.

Look at the poll on here asking if two cups makes a successful season - its two cups but it's not two cups and a league as it should be.

To me, and I could be wrong, it seems for some of our present players, and those who have left over the last couple of years, winning the title in 20/21 was it, the pinnacle of their careers.

No thirst or desire to go further.

The club needs gutted from top to bottom in thinking, vision and outlook going forward.
Good point mate,the players are payed so much now that win bonuses will mean very little so no real desire to go that wee bit further

You could see on that Spurs program that Jose was willing to do anything to win. Think it was City they were playing and he points out two or three players on a yellow card at halftime. He tells them to stop being so nice and to be a c@nt.

Fast forward a few years and their manager is arguing with fans asking him to throw a game.
I’ve said it before but after doing the tour of Spurs’ stadium it was clear that while the club as a whole are delighted to have a snazzy stadium, the idea of seriously chasing trophies is just not a priority.

To me, and I could be wrong, it seems for some of our present players, and those who have left over the last couple of years, winning the title in 20/21 was it, the pinnacle of their careers.

No thirst or desire to go further.

The club needs gutted from top to bottom in thinking, vision and outlook going forward.
Given what we’ve seen since 2021, I don’t think you are in any danger of being wrong on that one.

Hindsight is everything but it felt that for some players they were celebrating a once in a career title win… the Rangers support is more used to players who win a title, drink some bubbly and then come back into training on Monday ready to go again.

Given what we’ve seen since 2021, I don’t think you are in any danger of being wrong on that one.

Hindsight is everything but it felt that for some players they were celebrating a once in a career title win… the Rangers support is more used to players who win a title, drink some bubbly and then come back into training on Monday ready to go again.
That the same Rangers players who tended to be international quality and generally better than their opponents.

We live in different times. It's not acceptance, we must improve, but it's fact.

Why would our current players not want to win more trophies? Do people ask not ask themselves that? Would that not be preferable to abuse from the fans?

Now I appreciate this guy is an elite example, but we need to sign a player who has the same character as Jude Bellingham. Who can walk into a club with an established squad and not care one single bit about being liked or treading on the toes of the existing leaders within the dressing room. Someone who fucking detests losing and will call out whoever he thinks isn’t cutting it, regardless of their status within the squad.

Many years ago it was a young Barry Ferguson who stamped his authority on the team and swiped the armband off an underperforming Lorenzo Amoruso. We need that type of character to come in again and install the right mentality in the squad.

Back in the 9 in a row years, yes our team was a tight knit crowd of players who gave it their all.

At the end of the day though, we actually had better players than all the rest of Scottish football. This is no longer the case.
In Walter’s second spell we didn’t have the best players. We still didn’t accept second best. Remember winning the league cup with 9 men?

See any of that lot pulling that off?

In Walter’s second spell we didn’t have the best players. We still didn’t accept second best. Remember winning the league cup with 9 men?

See any of that lot pulling that off?
No I don't, but I still think we had the better players. That's why they keep winning the league and tbh, they now are back at full strength, we're anything but.

I really want Clement to succeed and with the right backing I think he will, but I've noticed a few times now, he is quoting our xG stats as some sort of mitigation after a poor performance or defeat.

Most recently on Saturday where he reffered to our xG in the first half, to imply there was nothing between the sides, which may have been the case re xG, but in a football sense, to all watching was nonsense.

If the Club, management and us as fans are finding solace or comfort in xG's etc after poor results, we'll be guilty of what Mourinho warns against and we will slip further behind and have only ourselves to blame.
What xg doesn’t take into account is bottle infront of goal. Look at Silvas header when it was 0-0 or Lammers after taking round Joe hart then putting it wide

That the same Rangers players who tended to be international quality and generally better than their opponents.

We live in different times. It's not acceptance, we must improve, but it's fact.

Why would our current players not want to win more trophies? Do people ask not ask themselves that? Would that not be preferable to abuse from the fans?
Valid point about relative ability & quality.. but the attitude just doesn’t seem right, and hasn’t for a long time.

There’s a difference between “wanting” to win trophies and having the single mindedness that leads to you winning multiple trophies.

Our players don’t go out not bothered about whether they won or lose, of course not.
That focus about continually winning just isn’t there though.

If you’re happy posting video clips of your goal on the night your main rivals win the title you’re in the wrong place mentally.

Losing to them should cause you such mental pain that all you can think about is getting on the pitch and ensuring it never happens again. If posting a video of your goals for likes are what makes you happy you are cheating yourself. You’re not aiming high enough in life.

What xg doesn’t take into account is bottle infront of goal. Look at Silvas header when it was 0-0 or Lammers after taking round Joe hart then putting wide
Exactly. Being told we have a grest xG, does not matter if we cannot convert the opportunities.

Using it in mitigation is papering over the cracks.

Results are what matters. I couldn't care less about having a fantastic xG, if we've not got the points to go with it.

In a nutshell.

Think this is something we’ve been doing for a while. I was guilty of this all through Pedro, Warburton then on to Gio and Beale thinking we need time, Rome isn’t built in a day etc.

Now I just think you’ve got a winning mentality or you don’t. I remember when Smith took over from PLG and the instant impact it had on the team. We’ve been accepting pish for too long
Proper manager if only ...

If you’re happy posting video clips of your goal on the night your main rivals win the title you’re in the wrong place mentally.

Losing to them should cause you such mental pain that all you can think about is getting on the pitch and ensuring it never happens again. If posting a video of your goals for likes are what makes you happy you are cheating yourself. You’re not aiming high enough in life.
That’s beyond embarrassing. Do we have no-one at the club who will tell these players to keep quiet

I’ve said it before but after doing the tour of Spurs’ stadium it was clear that while the club as a whole are delighted to have a snazzy stadium, the idea of seriously chasing trophies is just not a priority.
What gave you that impression from the tour? Did the guide make some remarks?

Some on here have written us off for the Cup Final?

Okay, point me out the positives?

From six/seven weeks ago when we had the title in our grasp, we let it go.

Now I get the No Surrender attitude. I grew up with it.

This squad of imposters have made the word 'No' vanish.

What gave you that impression from the tour? Did the guide make some remarks?
I said to a few of the guides that they must be very happy with Tottenham’s new stadium… “it’s a multi-sports arena sir” was the uniform response from 3 or 4 different people.

A lot of what they spoke about was about the number of exec seats, cost of exec seats, it being a tourist attraction… didn’t feel like a football club working to expand and make a name for winning things.

Okay, point me out the positives?

From six/seven weeks ago when we had the title in our grasp, we let it go.

Now I get the No Surrender attitude. I grew up with it.

This squad of imposters have made the word 'No' vanish.
I think I would, typically, form my own reasons for having hope that we can win the Final, if only because that is the intention we should have, as Rangers. I also don't see them as a great side, and, if we agree with Clement, we have performed better against better sides, this season.

I think I would, typically, form my own reasons for having hope that we can win the Final, if only because that is the intention we should have, as Rangers. I also don't see them as a great side, and, if we agree with Clement, we have performed better against better sides, this season.

I don't wake up ever thinking we can't win domestically, but we have handed the initiative over to the yahoos completely, regards the cup final.

I don't see that is up for debate.

This present lot have stamped every last piece of stanchness out of me. Trampled all over the remains and stuck it in the nearest available skip.

Think this is something we’ve been doing for a while. I was guilty of this all through Pedro, Warburton then on to Gio and Beale thinking we need time, Rome isn’t built in a day etc.

Now I just think you’ve got a winning mentality or you don’t. I remember when Smith took over from PLG and the instant impact it had on the team. We’ve been accepting pish for too long

It's a lot of shite really.

We haven't been good enough.

If we are talking the Board then obviously they haven't planned bad decisions -they've just made some.

Fundamentally hard for it is for many to fathom (aye but we should beat Ross County) finances are the main problem at the club.

I don't wake up ever thinking we can't win domestically, but we have handed the initiative over to the yahoos completely, regards the cup final.

This present lot have stamped every last piece of stanchness out of me. Trampled all over the remains and stuck it in the nearest available skip.
I'm nearly at that point, but if only for the sake of my two boys I live in hope.

Who you suggesting? We're all ears.
I'm not suggesting anyone, I'm merely trying to highlight that sometimes you can build a winning team without shelling out a fortune for the best players. Before a ball was kicked this season there was folk on here frothing at the gash about Lammers, Dessers and Danilo. We spent a fair chunk of cash on those three.

In Smith's second spell he built a league winning team with guys like Weir, McCulloch, Broadfoot, Wylde, Whittaker. Now I think it would be fair to say that at the time they wouldn't have been seen as marquee signings yet I always thought we would pump that mob with players like that in the team.

It's down to Clement and his DOF who we get in, I just hope the ones they do bring in have the correct attitude.

If we are talking the Board then obviously they haven't planned bad decisions -they've just made some.

Fundamentally hard for it is for many to fathom (aye but we should beat Ross County) finances are the main problem at the club.
Which makes the criminal waste of what we had all the more galling.

The manager won't believe that -not a chance.

He might turn out to be a chump for different reasons but it's not in his DNA to think we can't win it nor should we. We can win it.

If we are talking people on here well then they go from PC is a genius and the team are reborn to where they are now.

The good news is they are often wrong because they live in the instant and have no sense of perspective.

If you want to add perspective-they started to improve a lot just as we went in the opposite direction.

But a cup final? That's up for grabs 100%.

I agree with the sentiment but Clement did hit the ground running when he came in - we were all amazed at the change in performances and results.

It is simply that the players reverted to type later in the season (and Clement made mistakes too.)
You could say the same with Beale. His win percentage at the start was really impressive.

I'm not suggesting anyone, I'm merely trying to highlight that sometimes you can build a winning team without shelling out a fortune for the best players. Before a ball was kicked this season there was folk on here frothing at the gash about Lammers, Dessers and Danilo. We spent a fair chunk of cash on those three.

In Smith's second spell he built a league winning team with guys like Weir, McCulloch, Broadfoot, Wylde, Whittaker. Now I think it would be fair to say that at the time they wouldn't have been seen as marquee signings yet I always thought we would pump that mob with players like that in the team.

It's down to Clement and his DOF who we get in, I just hope the ones they do bring in have the correct attitude.
I’m all for bringing in some domestic guys but it doesn’t always work.

Whittaker, Broadfoot and Wylde were hardly guys with strong mentality. They were solid enough players, especially the first two, who played their part, but were helped by star players like Davis, Naismith and Jelavic.

Pretty sure that was way before Souness - maybe Vince Lombardi the American football coach - but the point stands.
Far too few winners in the team, guys who are happy to post on Instagram even following a defeat. Fk that.
Souness definitely said it too.

I’m all for bringing in some domestic guys but it doesn’t always work.

Whittaker, Broadfoot and Wylde were hardly guys with strong mentality. They were solid enough players, especially the first two, who played their part, but were helped by star players like Davis, Naismith and Jelavic.
Oh I completely agree, it's all about getting the ballance right. Let's hope the manager does just that.

Who have the Tim’s bought who we couldn’t have afforded?

They recruited smart, yes they have more than us but haven’t outspent us

Who have the Tim’s bought who we couldn’t have afforded?

They recruited smart, yes they have more than us but haven’t outspent us

Are you serious? Jota for a start cost more than we spent over several seasons.

If we take 12/13 they've won they will have spent massively more than us.

And they also had some horrendous flops.

Are you serious? Jota for a start cost more than we spent over several seasons.

If we take 12/13 they've won they will have spent massively more than us.

And they also had some horrendous flops.
Jota cost 6.5 million. We spent more than that on Danilo.

They may have bought more but in terms of the starting 11 there’s no one we couldn’t have afforded ourselves.

They’ve recruited smarter than us.

I remember when Mcleish signed Marvin Andrews. Not the classiest defender we have ever signed. But he gave everything he had in every game and was never bullied. He was a huge player for us at little outlay.

We don’t need expensive signings every time. We need players with the right attitude and belief in themselves. Same with John Brown. Never came up short on attitude and commitment.

We lack that type of player so badly.
The only player I can think of in the SPFL at the moment who would give us that is Alex Gogic.

He's not good enough to be a first pick for us, but I'd sign him as a 3rd/4th choice centre back, I think his commitment would be a good thing in our dressing room.

I really want Clement to succeed and with the right backing I think he will, but I've noticed a few times now, he is quoting our xG stats as some sort of mitigation after a poor performance or defeat.

Most recently on Saturday where he reffered to our xG in the first half, to imply there was nothing between the sides, which may have been the case re xG, but in a football sense, to all watching was nonsense.

If the Club, management and us as fans are finding solace or comfort in xG's etc after poor results, we'll be guilty of what Mourinho warns against and we will slip further behind and have only ourselves to blame.

For me, sod this xG bollocks.

What should be worrying is that our manager fell into a trap with a c--t the yahoos didn't even want, and some outwardly hate, at the tail end of this season.

The moral victory guff when we've gave them a lift, his refusal to get into the other previous incidents with the refs? Nope, doesn't do it for me.

I've loved his engagement with the players and fourth officials, but at the end of the day it hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. (Please don't insult my intelligence with a possible cup double/ look where were where when we sacked Beale? shite)

He's fucked it this season and will be out the door if he doesn't get tough next term. Mr Clement, if you don't take them on you are toast. Of course you need the backing of a board with a spine.

There's definitely an acceptance of defeat poisoning the support and the club.

The tramps were rioting when we won 55 whilst we have supporters calling the UBs embarrassing for walking out of the last home game of the season at FT.

One club demands success and the other is accepting failure.

Guess which one we are.

One club has £70m in the bank the other is checking down the back of the couch for change.

Do people really forget 2012 and the financial implications it still has even to this day?

I’d rather watch shite football and Rangers win than win nothing and pass the ball about well.
We’re not doing either at the moment though.

I remember us throwing away a 2-0 lead away to the sheep, and drawing the game 2-2.
Tav … the captain, and the motm Ross McCrorie got interviewed after it, and they were both asked about the result.
Tav said, 2-2 was a result they would take, as it’s a hard place visit, but that they would learn from it (obviously).
Mc Crorie was raging and said, that it felt like they threw away 2 points and should have seen it out.
I remember thinking, I believe tav believes that. I’m not saying McCrorie should have been made captain btw.
Just bringing up the affect of mentality.

Back